Covid-19 News/Discussion

bucsfan333

3 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Interesting. There was anecdotal evidence of people straight up saying "I only got the vaccine for this lottery chance", but I guess those people were too far and in between. 

I wonder how many conservatives have to come up with excuses or get the vaccine in secret due to political pressure. That may show up down the line as insincere evidence for lotteries (e.g. someone who would have gotten it anyway explains it away by saying it was only for the money).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I wonder how many conservatives have to come up with excuses or get the vaccine in secret due to political pressure. That may show up down the line as insincere evidence for lotteries (e.g. someone who would have gotten it anyway explains it away by saying it was only for the money).

That definitely plays a part to an extent. There is a couple at my gym who make it very obvious what their political leanings are based on their clothing. One of them apparently confided in one of the coaches "we got vaccinated, but don't tell anyone" like it was some sort of shameful secret. That's a good thing dude! Everyone else here is vaccinated too!

52 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

A discussion on that topic or direct payments? If you're talking about the latter, that isn't true at all. The vast majority of the country loves direct stimulus payments. This would just be another one of those, essentially. Instead of the condition being some relatively arbitrary income requirement, it would be getting vaccinated.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/03/us/stimulus-check-polls.html

You’re right. I didn’t think my statement through very well, as it seems like I meant the majority. Obviously the majority will be for it because they have already been vaccinated. What I meant is that some people will be upset about it, especially those physically unable to get vaccinated who might see it as a transfer of their tax dollars to vaccinated people.

3 minutes ago, JohnChimpo said:

What I meant is that some people will be upset about it, especially those physically unable to get vaccinated who might see it as a transfer of their tax dollars to vaccinated people.

People who are physically unable to be vaccinated would be the most for anything that would get the unvaccinated by choice to act like adults and get their shots, since its the willingly unvaccinated that are currently endangering them and effectively forcing them into an unending house arrest.

If you don't want the government to spend money, just say it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

People who are physically unable to be vaccinated would be the most for anything that would get the unvaccinated by choice to act like adults and get their shots, since its the willingly unvaccinated that are currently endangering them and effectively forcing them into an unending house arrest.

If you don't want the government to spend money, just say it. 

Ok. I don’t want the government to spend money that’s not absolutely necessary, and I don’t think we’re there yet.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I’m pretty I got the delta variant in the middle of July. I hardly ever get sick in the Summer. It wasn’t enough to go get tested or see a doctor. I was good after 2 days which meant the vaccine did it’s job.

Edited by Blackstar12

14 minutes ago, Blackstar12 said:

I’m pretty I got the delta variant in the middle of July. I hardly ever get sick in the Summer. It wasn’t enough to go get tested or see a doctor. I was good after 2 days which meant the vaccine did it’s job.

Same here after being around a kid who had a cold last month. I had what felt like a sinus infection and a headache for a couple days. After reading that article and the symptoms most present in the Delta variant, according to them, it's a strong possibility that's what I got. This is why I previously asked what we can expect as the end-game w/ this. People can sit here and complain about people not getting vaccinated but that's not going to change anything. I've just accepted it. We know other coronaviruses exist and present themselves as common colds. I'm wondering if we're starting to see the beginning of that now as our bodies continue to adapt to this one. Is that a feasible outcome? 

• Like 1

Free:

Global rise in infections threatens ‘hard-won gains’ against pandemic, WHO director says.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/07/30/coronavirus-covid-live-updates-us/

Really hoping NY follows the lead of France and others in instituting stricter measures around restricting access to public spaces for unvaccinated people before pursuing further lockdowns. With the Excelsior app we have the infrastructure to do it, and we're way past the point where it's acceptable that the rest of us should be held hostage because a bunch of precious morons are all caught up in their feelings and can't get a goddamn shot and then move on with their lives. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

The people who spew the most anti-vax things online/on the news are the same people who jumped the line at the very start to get vaccinated.

53 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

Covid response was doomed as soon as individuals politicized health guidance.

Only by removing politics will we have satisfactory outcomes.

Once something is politicized, it doesn't get de-politicized. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

The people who spew the most anti-vax things online/on the news are the same people who jumped the line at the very start to get vaccinated.

Once something is politicized, it doesn't get de-politicized. 

That’s the sad part. Especially when it comes to a health crisis.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Same here after being around a kid who had a cold last month. I had what felt like a sinus infection and a headache for a couple days. After reading that article and the symptoms most present in the Delta variant, according to them, it's a strong possibility that's what I got. This is why I previously asked what we can expect as the end-game w/ this. People can sit here and complain about people not getting vaccinated but that's not going to change anything. I've just accepted it. We know other coronaviruses exist and present themselves as common colds. I'm wondering if we're starting to see the beginning of that now as our bodies continue to adapt to this one. Is that a feasible outcome? 

The end game should have been to wipe it out completely like polio and to a lesser extent the measles. Now the end game is to hope it becomes the common cold. But that’s still dependent on a big enough population to get inoculated.