Covid-19 News/Discussion

bucsfan333

3 hours ago, minutemancl said:

Masks are a half measure right now. And half measures won't cut it.

If you aren't going to force people to get vaccinated, pay them to get vaccinated. $1000 to every adult who gets or has gotten vaccinated. That will make the numbers shoot up.

The initial vaccine rollout was admittedly not awful. Some powerful states were really slacking in the beginning, which was bad, but they picked it up. This plateau though is inexcusable. You knew there were a sizeable number of people who wouldn't get the vaccine; you needed to have a plan to get them vaccinated. The only two options I see are force or compensation. What happened to those vaccine lotteries in California and Ohio?

We’re stuck with half measures because I don’t see a federal vaccine mandate working legally in this country. Which suck because incentives aren’t working as well as they should. Right now it’s basically relying on compelling federal employees to get vaccinated like what Biden is proposing yesterday, and then relying on the private sectors to do the same thing.

Paywalled:

Covid-19 could lead to cognitive decline, especially among older adults, new research suggests.

The research is “eye-opening,” said Keith Vossel, who is director of the Mary S. Easton Center for Alzheimer’s Disease Research at UCLA and was not involved with the new studies. “The gist of what these studies as a whole are showing is that there are some transient increases or changes that are indicative of brain inflammation and injury and also overlap with some of the changes that occur with neurodegeneration.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/wellness/dementia-alzheimers-covid-research-link/2021/07/29/bccef096-f07d-11eb-a452-4da5fe48582d_story.html

45 minutes ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

Really hoping NY follows the lead of France and others in instituting stricter measures around restricting access to public spaces for unvaccinated people before pursuing further lockdowns. With the Excelsior app we have the infrastructure to do it, and we're way past the point where it's acceptable that the rest of us should be held hostage because a bunch of precious morons are all caught up in their feelings and can't get a goddamn shot and then move on with their lives. 

Honestly, I think NY will be in the clear of this soon enough. Obviously cases will spike, especially in the fall and winter since COVID has shown some seasonality patterns, but we're going to pass 75% of adults with at least one dose today. Vaccinations seem to be picking up a bit of speed lately, especially among adults. I was hoping we'd hit 75% of adults with one dose by early Sept, but now I'm hoping we'll hit 80% by then (good news!). Eventually, cases will just become white noise because they will not lead to severe COVID or death at nearly the same rate we've seen in the past.

We'll be at 63% of the total population partially vaccinated by the end of the weekend. By the time the fall is coming- we should be over 65% of the total population fully vaxxed. If you add in immunity via infection as well, then we're really on a good track to take much of the steam out of COVID. I'd assume we'll be around 80% of the total population having some type of immunity as we enter the fall.

New estimates say we'll need 90-95% to hit herd immunity due to Delta (if that's even possible), but 80% will still be enough immunity among the community to slow this beast down drastically. To the point we're able to live nearly normal again. Fingers crossed!

We'll see, though. I've counted this nasty critter out before, and been burned, so I'm not making any concrete statements here. 

Edited by WizeGuy
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Noticed everyone in Madison is back to wearing masks indoors. We're over 80% vaccinated, so I haven't been wearing mine. Probably won't start again either unless it's required.

Not me. My gym and grocery store and whatnot haven't started requiring them yet (unless they did today). 

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Not me. My gym and grocery store and whatnot haven't started requiring them yet (unless they did today). 

What do you think of this thread, my man:

Edited by WizeGuy

An FDA official explains why it’s taking so long to get the Covid vaccine full FDA approval.

https://news.yahoo.com/covid-19-vaccine-still-doesn-110357373.html

This part caught my attention:

When can we expect the first COVID-19 vaccine license?

It’s very hard to say exactly when. FDA has said the Prescription Drug User Fee Act goal date (to complete the process) is January of 2022. That’s basically a commitment letter that says we will get it done by then. I’m happy to offer that we intend to be long since done with this by then.

Regarding the Pfizer vaccine effectiveness:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.marketwatch.com/amp/story/pfizer-says-immunity-drops-to-83-within-six-months-in-people-who-got-its-covid-19-shot-further-bolstering-the-company-case-for-a-booster-11627579817

New research published Wednesday as a preprint indicates that the Pfizer Inc. PFEshot provides 96.2% protection for the first two months, 90.1% effectiveness between the second and fourth months, and between 83.7% of protection for the fourth, fifth, and six months. 

“We will need a booster eight to 12 months from the second dose,” Pfizer CEO Albert Bourla said Wednesday, according to a FactSet transcript of the company’s second-quarter earnings call. 

1 hour ago, WizeGuy said:

This expert is not happy with the messaging from the CDC and the way the media is relaying the data:

You should post the rest of the thread. I would but idk how. There is lot more information than what's presented here concerning the CDC.

6 hours ago, WizeGuy said:

This expert is not happy with the messaging from the CDC and the way the media is relaying the data:

Essentially he’s saying that the CDC is being too careful again because there’s a lot of inference about transmission, and that the messaging will hurting the vaccination rate.

Edit: also transmission should still be lower if you’re vaccinated and asymptomatic. But if you’re symptomatic then take all precautions.

Edited by Xenos