Covid-19 News/Discussion

bucsfan333

51 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

Yep. Congress let it expire. Last I heard, Biden was pushing for local governments to assist now.

Honestly, how is only $3 billion for rental assistance distributed out of $43 billion? That’s the other big thing out of this. If the renters could have gotten the assistance they needed to pay their landlords, we wouldn’t be freaking out as much because no one would be evicted. This is disgraceful. And not just because Covid cases will rise because of this mess, but because it’s just plain cruel to have people be homeless.

Edited by Xenos
  • Like 2

On 7/31/2021 at 11:41 AM, TVScout said:

Paywalled.

CDC study shows three-fourths of people infected in Massachusetts coronavirus outbreak were vaccinated but few required hospitalization.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/07/30/provincetown-covid-outbreak-vaccinated/

Such a disingenuous report. 

Of course 3/4 of people affected in Provincetown were vaccinated. Almost everyone there is vaccinated- over 75%. And this only proves that the vaccines work. There were an extremely few number of even moderate cases amongst those affected. That is exactly what the vaccine is supposed to do.

I know the media loves sowing discord and fear, but this is next level imo. What do they have to gain from making vaccines seem ineffective? 

13 hours ago, Xenos said:

Honestly, how is only $3 billion for rental assistance distributed out of $43 billion? That’s the other big thing out of this. If the renters could have gotten the assistance they needed to pay their landlords, we wouldn’t be freaking out as much because no one would be evicted. This is disgraceful. And not just because Covid cases will rise because of this mess, but because it’s just plain cruel to have people be homeless.

Eh, with so many willfully unemployed right now, it's hard to make a case for emergency forgiveness on rent. Like who qualifies for that? How do you put that system into place on such short notice on a nationwide scale? 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

Eh, with so many willfully unemployed right now, it's hard to make a case for emergency forgiveness on rent. Like who qualifies for that? How do you put that system into place on such short notice on a nationwide scale? 

I mean they had since December to get more money out. I get that this is essentially a new system. But there was still more that could be done. At the end of the day it shouldn’t be more difficult than unemployment and PPP loans, which were already hard to begin with. This article was written back in May but is still super discouraging to read.

https://www.vox.com/22429430/renters-rent-relief-eviction-moratorium-housing-market

Edit: it sounds like one of the problems is so many agencies involved with different requirements. I think streamlining it more would have helped, while making it easier for people who were low income.

Edited by Xenos

1 hour ago, minutemancl said:

Such a disingenuous report. 

Of course 3/4 of people affected in Provincetown were vaccinated. Almost everyone there is vaccinated- over 75%. And this only proves that the vaccines work. There were an extremely few number of even moderate cases amongst those affected. That is exactly what the vaccine is supposed to do.

I know the media loves sowing discord and fear, but this is next level imo. What do they have to gain from making vaccines seem ineffective? 

I think the concern was the amount of breakthroughs, not the breakthroughs themselves. And if I’m reading this right, with the original and Alpha variant, the implication is you can have large events safely as long as most if not everyone were fully vaccinated. With Delta, it seems that this additional safety net goes away. Even if few are hospitalized.

1 minute ago, Xenos said:

I think the concern was the amount of breakthroughs, not the breakthroughs themselves. And if I’m reading this right, with the original and Alpha variant, the implication is you can have large events safely as long as most if not everyone were fully vaccinated. With Delta, it seems that this additional safety net goes away. Even if few are hospitalized.

I'm not seeing how this additional safety net goes away. The vaccine reduces the chance of even moderate complications from COVID, even the Delta variant, to below the acceptable levels we deal with in everyday life. The goal is so people don't get sick and die from COVID. The vaccine prevents that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deadpulse said:

Literally, I think 90% of stores in my town are hiring. Is it the same in other areas as it is here?

When I was in FL a few months ago, I drove by someone begging for money in front of 6 stores that had "Hiring" signs in the window. It's just pure ******* laziness now by a vast majority. Yeah, I'm sure some people can't work for whatever reason but this is getting bad right now. I don't care if I come across as insensitive in saying it. People need to get back out there and start working again. My brother owns a restaurant, pays well, and he's struggling so hard to find people to work. Same w/ a friend who owns a bar and pays even better. I'm glad that was revoked.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

I'm not seeing how this additional safety net goes away. The vaccine reduces the chance of even moderate complications from COVID, even the Delta variant, to below the acceptable levels we deal with in everyday life. The goal is so people don't get sick and die from COVID. The vaccine prevents that.

I think you’re misunderstanding what I’m trying to say. I understand about the efficiency of the vaccine to protect against severe illness even against Delta. What I’m trying to say is it seems that if this was the original strain or Alpha, I don’t think you would see 3/4 of fully vaccinated people have breakthrough cases. It’s why the CDC was so confident about indoor masking not be needed for fully vaccinated individuals back in May.

1 minute ago, Xenos said:

I think you’re misunderstanding what I’m trying to say. I understand about the efficiency of the vaccine to protect against severe illness even against Delta. What I’m trying to say is it seems that if this was the original strain or Alpha, I don’t think you would see 3/4 of fully vaccinated people have breakthrough cases. It’s why the CDC was so confident about indoor masking not be needed for fully vaccinated individuals back in May.

We aren't seeing that anyway.

https://www.kff.org/policy-watch/covid-19-vaccine-breakthrough-cases-data-from-the-states/

The rate of breakthrough cases reported among those fully vaccinated is well below 1% in all reporting states, ranging from 0.01% in Connecticut to 0.90% in Oklahoma.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/31/health/fully-vaccinated-people-breakthrough-hospitalization-death/index.html

The CDC reported 6,587 Covid-19 breakthrough cases as of July 26, including 6,239 hospitalizations and 1,263 deaths. At that time, more than 163 million people in the United States were fully vaccinated against Covid-19.

I may still be misunderstanding, but I still don't see why the (extremely small) number of breakthrough cases matter. And who is to say we wouldn't see about the same number of breakthrough cases with the original strain or one of the earlier variants?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Literally, I think 90% of stores in my town are hiring. Is it the same in other areas as it is here?

When I was in FL a few months ago, I drove by someone begging for money in front of 6 stores that had "Hiring" signs in the window. It's just pure ******* laziness now by a vast majority. Yeah, I'm sure some people can't work for whatever reason but this is getting bad right now. I don't care if I come across as insensitive in saying it. People need to get back out there and start working again. My brother owns a restaurant, pays well, and he's struggling so hard to find people to work. Same w/ a friend who owns a bar and pays even better. I'm glad that was revoked.

Yes, you do come off insensitive when you call people lazy. There’s a host of different reasons why people don’t want to go back to work especially in the service and hospitality industry like restaurants. It’s generally low paying, little to no benefits, extremely unstable, and the workers get treated like crap from the bosses and customers. Most are also looking for better jobs or are changing career paths completely. Additionally, would you really want to go back to the same job if you were laid off so easily during Covid? And given the pandemic surge in Fl right now, would you feel safe especially since it’s against the state rules to require safety measures against Covid?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

What does he pay?