Covid-19 News/Discussion

bucsfan333

2 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Concern of covid?  Vaccines are being tossed out b/c they're not getting used. EVERYONE, of age to work, has had access to them for MONTHS. Get the vaccine and get back to work and if that's your reason, yeah, you're probably lazy and loving that government money. 

So no, it's not being lazy to assume others are. You can try to dress it up however you want but that fact remains we've found methods to reduce exposure and they're just not taking it. 

If everyone who was unemployed was an antivaxxer, then you would have a point. But it’s more complicated than that. Besides true vaccine hesitancy with many, people who are fully vaccinated can have legitimate concerns about working in areas that have high transmission and low vaccination rates. And given that half the country is still unvaccinated, it’s a legitimate concern by some. What is the employer doing to keep his/her employees safe for example especially in the service industry where most of the job openings are? For example, this owner is making vaccination mandatory for everyone, staff and customers alike. And you can only get a seat if you have proof of vaccination.

https://www.npr.org/2021/08/01/1023393393/seattle-chef-defends-vaccination-policy-for-workers-and-dine-in-guests

On a side note, given your disdain for people getting government money, I hope you declined accepting any stimulus pandemic money. We obviously can’t have someone as hard working as you get money.

Edited by Xenos

5 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

Advancement is big, but not in today's job market. Statistically, and I don't have this number in front of me but I listen to a lot of business podcasts about management to stay on my toes, people 18-37 don't stay with the same company to advance. The current labor force will have a resume of a new company every other year leveraging pay and title against their previous job. That is the current practice going on. You can't pay people "entry level" salary anymore because that term is dying. People aren't entry level anymore, they expect the same as tenured employees. People arent working within the same company to build themselves up for better salary, they are leaving one company for another telling that new place I need to make more than this company paid me. The labor force, for company gigs that is, has taken on a very mercenary like model. With the current trend towards labor shortages, this type of mercenary tactic will intensify I'd imagine with employers being almost forced into poaching from other companies and giving into demands. 

I moved around a lot in my youth for these same reasons, including to advance and make more money. But now I like stability. I’ll probably stay at the current place I’m at unless something bad happens like toxic work environment, unfair pay, etc. Luckily so far so good.

7 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

This dude had cleaner clothes on than I did lol. I've never been able to keep white shirts so clean. His hair was cut, beard was trimmed, he was clean lol. 

I'm not acting like anything. I just provided an isolated incident. I know there's far more to it with other people and every situation is different. I agree that majority, it's harder than that but when employers are literally begging for people to work, my sympathy has diminished some. I am not denying that. 

I'm fine with all of that. The way you said "begging for money" might have misled me a little. I feel like anyone standing on a corner begging for money isn't in a great position and wouldn't be able to just walk in and apply for a job, but maybe it's different in parts of the country. 

9 hours ago, Xenos said:

I think the concern was the amount of breakthroughs, not the breakthroughs themselves. And if I’m reading this right, with the original and Alpha variant, the implication is you can have large events safely as long as most if not everyone were fully vaccinated. With Delta, it seems that this additional safety net goes away. Even if few are hospitalized.

This isnt directed at you, and say what you will about unvaccinated people.... some have legit concerns and some do not, but this type of reporting from the media is irresponsible and likely contributes to some people continuing to not get vaccinated. The point of the vaccination is not that you wont get it, its that it wont be as severe if you do. The vast, vast majority of people who get vaxxed do not get covid, and even if they do, its a microscopic amount that even gets hospitalized. So instead of all these major news outlets like NBC and others doing the responsible thing and reporting with bold, uppercase letters that the vaccine is a massive success, they lead with scare tactics because they need people to watch their crappy news shows and read their crappy articles. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Xenos said:

There’s a lot of different reasons why people aren’t just accepting jobs right now, especially in service industries. Accusing people of being lazy is just lazy in of itself. It’s a complicated situation with different nuances.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/22/cuts-to-unemployment-benefits-didnt-get-people-back-to-work-study-finds.html

There certainly are a number of reasons. Regardless I’ve never been comfortable making assumptions about the integrity of others. There will always be a certain percentage of people that game the system.

I know a number of people who haven’t returned to work because of the health condition of a family member that’s unable to be vaccinated. They just don’t feel it’s an acceptable risk and has nothing to do with the benefits given by the government. 

I also know of families where one individual has returned to work but lives in the garage while his wife and kids live in the house (she doesn’t work.)

Given break through cases it seems a good strategy.

I know one businessman here that can’t get staff. He couldn’t get staff before the pandemic because he’s a terrible employer and treats people terribly. People now have selection of jobs so there will be employers that have to change philosophies and compete to get staff.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GSUeagles14 said:

This isnt directed at you, and say what you will about unvaccinated people.... some have legit concerns and some do not, but this type of reporting from the media is irresponsible and likely contributes to some people continuing to not get vaccinated. The point of the vaccination is not that you wont get it, its that it wont be as severe if you do. The vast, vast majority of people who get vaxxed do not get covid, and even if they do, its a microscopic amount that even gets hospitalized. So instead of all these major news outlets like NBC and others doing the responsible thing and reporting with bold, uppercase letters that the vaccine is a massive success, they lead with scare tactics because they need people to watch their crappy news shows and read their crappy articles. 

I agree with some of the things you said. Some of the  headlines in particular are misleading or sensational. But a lot of the articles that I’ve read were strangely similar to what you stated about the vaccines being successful. The main difference was that they emphasized the nuances of Delta more compared to the other strains.

Ironically outlets have been emphasizing the effectiveness of the vaccines for the longest time but the vaccination rates have continued to go down. Before the CDC’s big announcement last week, I remember the headlines that 99.5% Covid deaths were unvaccinated. So maybe this negativity and scare tactic will turn people away from the vaccine. Or it could just as easily have the opposite effect and actually get people to take Covid more seriously and get vaccinated. Who knows at this point.

Edit: it won’t matter anyways since it looks like we’re heading down the mandatory vaccination path for a lot of places.

Edited by Xenos

15 hours ago, Xenos said:

If everyone who was unemployed was an antivaxxer, then you would have a point. But it’s more complicated than that. Besides true vaccine hesitancy with many, people who are fully vaccinated can have legitimate concerns about working in areas that have high transmission and low vaccination rates. And given that half the country is still unvaccinated, it’s a legitimate concern by some. What is the employer doing to keep his/her employees safe for example especially in the service industry where most of the job openings are? For example, this owner is making vaccination mandatory for everyone, staff and customers alike. And you can only get a seat if you have proof of vaccination.

https://www.npr.org/2021/08/01/1023393393/seattle-chef-defends-vaccination-policy-for-workers-and-dine-in-guests

On a side note, given your disdain for people getting government money, I hope you declined accepting any stimulus pandemic money. We obviously can’t have someone as hard working as you get money.

You just think you have this all figured out lol. There's a large number of people around here not getting it b/c they just don't give a ****. They're not antivax nor pro, they just don't care. I hear about it often. Why? I'm not sure but they have their reasons and I don't know these people so it's none of my business. I just know the people trying to hire them. This is just isolated to my area but I'd be willing to bet that it's common in many others.

My disdain is for people taking advantage of the situation. I have made that remarkably clear but you're not choosing to read it. That's a Xenos problem but luckily, you can fix that. You should try to.

As for stimulus money, I never asked for it but I did receive it and as I've said in this thread many times, it was gone w/in a week in local business' pockets. Thanks again for trying to attack my character but again, you've missed and missed badly.

13 hours ago, JonStark said:

I'm fine with all of that. The way you said "begging for money" might have misled me a little. I feel like anyone standing on a corner begging for money isn't in a great position and wouldn't be able to just walk in and apply for a job, but maybe it's different in parts of the country. 

I wouldn't have made my remark if the guy didn't look more clean that I did lol. There's many reports of people begging for money who are not homeless and unfortunately those people have ruined my impression of some I see on the streets (I've donated a lot of my time to homelessness but never in the form of handing over cash as a result). It's quite possible someone saw this guy and offered him a fresh cut at his/her barber shop, cleaned him up and got him some fresh, new gear and I just happened to see him at the precise right time. That's definitely not out of the realm of possibilities. Unfortunately, in our society today, I don't trust that to be the case b/c people are too quick to take advantage of generosity.

• Like 1

Y’all really care too much about how others perceive you in this thread. 😂

Maybe just focus on the topic? 

I have my 3 year olds birthday in 2 weeks and we were planning a party with friends (all vax’d) but with the amount of kids I’m worried about any of them getting something. Any word on delta variant and children? I haven’t seen many breakdowns. 

7 minutes ago, MightyMouse07 said:

I have my 3 year olds birthday in 2 weeks and we were planning a party with friends (all vax’d) but with the amount of kids I’m worried about any of them getting something. Any word on delta variant and children? I haven’t seen many breakdowns. 

Not children specific, but the viral load is the same whether you are vaxed or unvaxed. The risk of transmitting it to the kids is just as high as if you had a party full of unvaxed adults. 

• Like 1

Just now, Deadpulse said:

Not children specific, but the viral load is the same whether you are vaxed or unvaxed. The risk of transmitting it to the kids is just as high as if you had a party full of unvaxed adults. 

Yeah I understand that. I’ve seen that transmission rates are the same. Was just curious about data around children specifically. Appreciate it! 

12 minutes ago, MightyMouse07 said:

My best advice is to not live in fear and if you are waiting for some sort of variant to not be around, that day may never come. This is how viruses work. Don’t look back on your life and think about how you short changed your kids birthday. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Thanks again for trying to attack my character but again, you've missed and missed badly.

When you say stupid ignorant things about others, prepare to be called out for it. And you’re welcome btw! It was my pleasure 😊 Just try not be so sensitive about it Bobby. 

Edited by Xenos

7 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

While it is true that the viral load is the same, I've seen experts say that that doesn't mean the transmission rate is the same. That is still unknown, last I saw.