Covid-19 News/Discussion

bucsfan333

31 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:
40 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Can we start photoshopping American flags on their hospital blankets and the word "freedom" being ventilated into their mouths and nostrils?

Okay, this is actually hilarious to picture. 

Follow up idea, maybe too mean: the ECG doesn't beep. It yells "AMERICA" on the R beat and "**** YEAH" after the T.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

They absolutely are, while simultaneously the Health Department and state legislatures are due to midterm elections as well. Essentially no one wants to be the "bad guy", while knowing that grenades are going to go off in classrooms due to the new CDC flow chart in regards to exclusions (the new term for quarantines).

The reality is, local voters who control contracts, funding, and levies (we just passed a renewal that saved 133 jobs, and we have to pass a bond issue in the next 5 years) will be SUPER MAD if they feel like they don't have a say (not all people, but the majority, and that's how democracy works). 

I have MORE KIDS than I've ever had before (161 students in 6 classes, 30+ in multiple classes) and had to ask for MORE DESKS. And yet, let's all pretend like things are normal, that quarantines won't happen, that this won't turn into an absolute nightmare, and the fallout will be absolutely egregious in the next week or two.

A superintendent that goes against the grain essentially is handing over their contractual fate and professional future to a group of 5 board of education members that likely reflects the climate of the given community. A 3-2 vote against you, and congratulations, you lost your job. Granted, things like this come with the territory of being a high level and usually well compensated administrator, but still.

Thus, there's the paradox:

Do we bow to the will of the people who could nuke the entire school system with their votes, my own professional future and job, and completely alter the landscape of the local community and school system for 10+ years if the levies go the wrong way (10 years is a conservative estimate), or do I do what I feel the right thing is and mandate things that the local health/government doesn't have the intestinal fortitude to do?

I get it, no one wants to lose their job or be the bad guy, but at some point someone in a position of power needs to do something productive to protect kids who are vulnerable. If you can’t make big **** decisions you shouldn’t have that job.

The same people who had no problem making the decision for us to mask 3 months ago are now too concerned about “freedom” to do the same now, even though literally nothing has changed.  I take that back, nothing POSITIVE has happened, things have definitely gotten worse.

We’ve discussed it elsewhere, but I can even wrap my head around high schools not wearing masks (even if it would be the right call) as that demographic has had an opportunity (in theory) to get vaccinated.  Under 12?  Gtfo.

Your boy DeWine, who was surprisingly good for so long, has apparently decided to no longer follow science and recommendations of healthcare professions and instead decided to follow the will of people who think the vaccines are just a guise to microchip people.

And this decision will likely impact someone, somewhere, in a manner that’s almost unthinkable.  But thankfully we at least avoid the tragedy of someone having to wear a mask for a few hours a day.

• Like 1

An Arkansas father of a 1-year-old hospitalized with Covid-19 is telling people to get vaccinated so another parent doesn’t have to face the uncertainty and fear that he’s living with...

...Children under the age of 12 like Carter are still ineligible for a Covid-19 vaccine, so vaccinating the people around them is the best way to protect them...

Source

Last I heard, neither parent nor sibling has tested positive for COVID.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

Source

Last I heard, neither parent nor sibling has tested positive for COVID.

Even if it’s rare, stories like this scare me. As soon as the vaccine is available for my kid’s age group, he’s getting the shot.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

And then the cherry on top is despite all their hatred for intellectuals, and distrust of medical science and doctors, they inevitably flood the hospitals when they can’t breath. It’s smooth brain logic on all sides.

what if we decided not to administer medicine to those who choose not to get vaccinated (except for legitimate medical reasons)?

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

what if we decided not to administer medicine to those who choose not to get vaccinated (except for legitimate medical reasons)?

On 8/4/2021 at 3:22 PM, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I'm serious. I doubt there's a single MD or RN actively practicing who hasn't been somehow damaged long term by this. We have to recognize that burnout among the limited supply of healthcare pros that we have is a threat to our healthcare system, and act accordingly.

Deprioritize the care of any non-vaccinated COVID-19 patient without medical justification for the no-jab status after a certain date. I'm not saying those people shouldn't be treated if we have capacity, but other priorities including screenings and routine care should take priority.

Yup. Only way to relieve the burden.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I’m not necessarily for it, but I’m not against it.

I’d treat these idiots as much as possible because that’s what hospitals and healthcare are for, but once there becomes a shortage of staff, beds, whatever, non-vaccinated covid patients (without a legit excuse obv) should be at the bottom of the list imo.  

That said, they won’t be because it’s a respiratory issue so other people will continue to suffer and be provided suboptimal care because of these insufferable arses.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

The same people who had no problem making the decision for us to mask 3 months ago are now too concerned about “freedom” to do the same now, even though literally nothing has changed.  I take that back, nothing POSITIVE has happened, things have definitely gotten worse.

Here's what I've never really understood, and forgive me for sort of rambling, as I'll try to bring it full circle:

1. Where were the people 3+ months ago, like me, who know 100x more than I do about medicine and sociological impact, hand in hand with healthcare, saying "Mr. President/Governor/Mayor/Superintendent, what are you going to do when 30-50% of our demographic doesn't get the vaccine? We need a game plan for that."

2. Why have the new power(s) that be conceded that this is a state's rights issue instead of a federal one? Where are the executive orders that were planned that were promised months ago?

We’ve discussed it elsewhere, but I can even wrap my head around high schools not wearing masks (even if it would be the right call) as that demographic has had an opportunity (in theory) to get vaccinated.  Under 12?  Gtfo.

Correct. And, as reinforced in our staff meeting today, we are "highly encouraged to wear masks to model it for students"...so this is what I've made the personal decision to do:

A. I will not wear one while actively instructing

B. I will not wear one while sitting at my desk (I'm 10-15 feet away from the closest desk)

C. I will wear one while working 1 on 1 with any student or in any group of students

D. I will wear one while doing hallway duty

Your boy DeWine, who was surprisingly good for so long, has apparently decided to no longer follow science and recommendations of healthcare professions and instead decided to follow the will of people who think the vaccines are just a guise to microchip people.

Interesting. I took his last presser as following the past other two precedents, which were his "preemptive shot across the bow and warning" messages, especially with case numbers. Maybe that's not the case.

24 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Here's what I've never really understood, and forgive me for sort of rambling, as I'll try to bring it full circle:

1. Where were the people 3+ months ago, like me, who know 100x more than I do about medicine and sociological impact, hand in hand with healthcare, saying "Mr. President/Governor/Mayor/Superintendent, what are you going to do when 30-50% of our demographic doesn't get the vaccine? We need a game plan for that."

I think the answer to this becomes clearer when it’s given full authorization, which we’re already starting to see. Until then, working on the honor system of “wear a mask until your vaccinated” was always dumb as many of these people have no honor.

2. Why have the new power(s) that be conceded that this is a state's rights issue instead of a federal one? Where are the executive orders that were planned that were promised months ago?

I’m not implying the issues are solely on one side at all. That said, let’s not pretend an order, any order, does anything whatsoever unless it’s actually enforced which didn’t happen hardly at all over the last year. 

Correct. And, as reinforced in our staff meeting today, we are "highly encouraged to wear masks to model it for students"...so this is what I've made the personal decision to do:

A. I will not wear one while actively instructing

B. I will not wear one while sitting at my desk (I'm 10-15 feet away from the closest desk)

C. I will wear one while working 1 on 1 with any student or in any group of students

D. I will wear one while doing hallway duty

Completely reasonable.

Interesting. I took his last presser as following the past other two precedents, which were his "preemptive shot across the bow and warning" messages, especially with case numbers. Maybe that's not the case.

School started this week for us with unvaccinated kids being herded in like cattle.  His pressers and lip service don’t mean a damned thing to me, just like any other politician that wants to spend time talking as opposed to doing.

Essentially saying “we’re gonna wait for things to get bad” is the epitome of stupid.

6 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

So that’s nice, especially as school is starting…

This is the issue. On an individual basis, COVID is of minimal risk to children, but on a population level, given how transmissible this virus is- it’s a major problem. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Looks like Texas’s leadership is killing it.

And by it, I mean people. 

Also, at my hospital during the winter surge- we had to hold adult patients in the children’s hospital. There’s a ripple effect involved here that we didn’t have to deal with during the original surge, and that’s kids taking up beds and staff that we could use for adults when **** hits the fan. Not good.

Also, RSV is running rampant down south, too- taking up capacity as well. 

Edited by WizeGuy

22 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I think the answer to this becomes clearer when it’s given full authorization, which we’re already starting to see. Until then, working on the honor system of “wear a mask until your vaccinated” was always dumb as many of these people have no honor.

And not having the foresight to look at that is completely befuddling to me. Maybe I'm too much of a big picture person, but I don't get that at all.

I’m not implying the issues are solely on one side at all. That said, let’s not pretend an order, any order, does anything whatsoever unless it’s actually enforced which didn’t happen hardly at all over the last year. 

I didn't mean to imply otherwise, as I said, just more or less brainstorming out loud and rambling. It's just weird to me that people don't stick by whatever gameplan they have/run on.

Completely reasonable.

Season 6 Aww Shucks GIF by Friends

School started this week for us with unvaccinated kids being herded in like cattle.  His pressers and lip service don’t mean a damned thing to me, just like any other politician that wants to spend time talking as opposed to doing.

Essentially saying “we’re gonna wait for things to get bad” is the epitome of stupid.

We start Monday. I'm going to sit back and watch the mayhem unfold. I'm glad that we spent the last two days taking a deep breath and championing a "normal" school year, evaluating data from last year (talk about a logical fallacy in and of itself), and graduation requirements instead of what we're going to do when all you know what breaks loose.

8 minutes ago, WizeGuy said:

This is the issue. On an individual basis, COVID is of minimal risk to children, but on a population level, given how transmissible this virus is- it’s a major problem. 

That’s the thing though, delta is showing to be more aggressive with kids.

We can’t operate based on data from 6 months or a year ago, things are constantly changing.

• Like 1