Covid-19 News/Discussion

bucsfan333

Not free:

An accelerated cauldron of evolution’: Covid-19 patients with cancer, HIV, may play a role in emergence of variants

Some hospitalized patients with weakened immune systems were shown to have mutating viruses months before the variants were discovered in the outside world.

The case reports of persistent coronavirus in immunocompromised patients are eerily similar despite involving different underlying conditions, geographic locations, genders and ages. They include a man in his 70s in London with B cell lymphoma who experienced large shifts in the virus in his body after getting convalescent plasma therapy and died on Day 102; a 73-year-old man seen at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, who had multiple myeloma and died on Day 74; a 45-year-old man in Boston with a disorder in which the immune system mistakenly attacks normal proteins in the blood who died on Day 154; a woman in her 70s in Munich with follicular lymphoma who died on Day 156; a 60-year-old man in Ann Arbor, Mich., with a different type of lymphoma who on Day 156 left the hospital for home hospice.  While active infection with the coronavirus for most people lasts only for about eight to 10 days — considered too short for many mutations to occur — it can last for 160 days or longer in those with weakened immune systems, providing more opportunities for change. Scientists have described virus replication in such patients as akin to making photocopies of photocopies, with later copies being more blurred or different from copies of the originals. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/03/11/immunocompromised-patients-covid-variants/

Fauci saying we could reach pre pandemic normal by August or Sept. This is incrediblely optimistic coming from a man who is extremely conservative with his estimations. 

https://www.voanews.com/covid-19-pandemic/fauci-us-could-reach-pre-pandemic-normals-september

This is the important tidbit:

“You don’t have to wait until you get full herd immunity to get a really profound effect on what you can do,” he said.

Edited by WizeGuy
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, WizeGuy said:

In case y'all were wondering- Pfizer/Biontech is the real deal!

https://www.axios.com/pfizer-vaccine-asymptomatic-infection-7ac7de09-527f-4f76-803b-b55460aac1ab.html

Pfizer is now saying it's likely the vaccine prevents asymptomatic infection. The real world data out of Israel is showing the vaccine is 94% effective at preventing asymptomatic infection. 

YES! I AM NOW IMMORTAL!!!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

The select medical conditions include obesity and being overweight. That should cover the entire state tbh. 

I need to MN to do that, then I would get up there, so glad that BMI is so inconsistent in terms of actually determining health.

20 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

Really? Thought that was slated for Friday

They ended up getting a copy of the bill earlier to review. And I guess even if it’s only a day difference, it’s still nice to over deliver.

Edited by Xenos

1 minute ago, Xenos said:

They ended up getting a copy of the bill earlier to review. And I guess even if it’s only a day difference, it’s still nice to over deliver.

Definitely down for any expedite. Although I havent gotten my tax return yet and I imagine this will delay it further...