Covid-19 News/Discussion

bucsfan333

2 hours ago, pwny said:

Anyone that drives a car can kill someone when driving. We still require drivers licenses and for people to pass a skills test to be out on the road. We still require cars to be inspected for safety issues. We still arrest people for driving drunk. We still set speed limits, and traffic laws.

We can’t mitigate every single risk down to 0. But we can make rules against reckless behavior to mitigate them down to acceptable norms.

If you don’t want to take a skills test and get your car inspected, that’s your right. But you don’t get to drive it on public roads. Same thing here.

Oh I get it and I don't disagree with private businesses doing whatever the hell they want. It's their business.  I just personally don't agree with the government mandating it. Leave it up to the people to decide if they want to or not. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xenos said:

He’s standing on his soapbox because he has to deal with the direct impact of the unvaccinated’s bad decisions.

That doesn't give him the right to create division and point the finger lol. I know a hundred people who have had to do what he has. Multiple family members at that, none of which act like pompous dbags who are better than anyone. Good for you excusing it, I'm choosing not to bc it doesn't help a damn thing. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Oh I get it and I don't disagree with private businesses doing whatever the hell they want. It's their business.  I just personally don't agree with the government mandating it. Leave it up to the people to decide if they want to or not. 

Government intervenes when it affects everyone, not just private businesses. That’s why we have seatbelt laws, drunk driving laws, and pre Covid vaccination laws.

18 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I guess my point being pick a field where you have a wealth of experience and imagine someone telling you that you don’t know wtf you’re talking about despite never working a day in that field.

It would be irking, right?  Now imagine them providing “proof” that backs up their claims, only what they’ve provided is nonsensical.

You’d be a little more frustrated right?

This person keeps doubling down on this nonsense for months on end, always with a dumber and more illogical stance, grasping for anything that resembles a straw along the way.

This is what conservative media and antivax folks have been doing to healthcare for a year and a half now.

Just so I know who I'm talking to, I should probably ask you the same thing.  What do you do for a living?  By any chance are you a physician and/or virologist?

10 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Just so I know who I'm talking to, I should probably ask you the same thing.  What do you do for a living?  By any chance are you a physician and/or virologist?

I’m an RN. Almost a dozen years in, first 5 in a burn/ICU setting.  The last (almost) 7 in triage/education/care management roles.  Licensed in roughly 2 dozenish states, including yours (I believe).

And I’m not quoting my work or my experiences here, but rather the data collected by virologist, epidemiologists, biochemical engineers, public health experts, etc.  Anything I’m sharing about my work experience in this thread is related to things I have direct, first hand knowledge of and experience with.

Don’t believe what I’m saying because I work in healthcare, believe what I (and plenty of others) are saying because it’s based off verifiable data from reputable sources who have spent years in higher education and decades in the field learning about this exact stuff and then have their work verified by their peers who are obviously equally qualified.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’m an RN. Almost a dozen years in, first 5 in a burn/ICU setting.  The last (almost) 7 in triage/education/care management roles.  Licensed in roughly 2 dozenish states, including yours (I believe).

And I’m not quoting my work or my experiences here, but rather the data collected by virologist, epidemiologists, biochemical engineers, public health experts, etc.  Anything I’m sharing about my work experience in this thread is related to things I have direct, first hand knowledge of and experience with.

Don’t believe what I’m saying because I work in healthcare, believe what I (and plenty of others) are saying because it’s based off verifiable data from reputable sources who have spent years in higher education and decades in the field learning about this exact stuff and then have their work verified by their peers who are obviously equally qualified.

OK thanks.  That means that you certainly have a lot more knowledge on medical issues than I do.  I'm man enough to admit that.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

@Uncle Buck and anyone else for that matter

Think of a peer reviewed research article like this

-- a term paper you wrote in your toughest class, be it HS, college, grad school, whatever.  Your HS teacher read that paper spending 30- 60 minutes type time frame.  1 read ( maybe 2x ) through.

-- college, a professor or Teaching asst/ graduate assistant maybe spends 1- 2 hours.

-- now peer review.  It's a panel of 5-10 reviewers that the publisher hand selects/ recruits as experts in the field to spend multiple weeks reading the paper.  Checking every detail in every aspect of the paper. It gets sent back for revision several times for clarity, overreaching statements not supported or reached on too little substantive evidence backed up in the article.

Crazy thing about these reviewers is they hold each other to such standards because doing so, helps advance the collective knowledge in any  peer reviewed journal to a more respected place.

There is a reason that articles from " New England Journal of Medicine" of JAMA ....Journal of American Medical Association

Has the reputation they do within their respective disciplines. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, squire12 said:

@Uncle Buck and anyone else for that matter

Think of a peer reviewed research article like this

-- a term paper you wrote in your toughest class, be it HS, college, grad school, whatever.  Your HS teacher read that paper spending 30- 60 minutes type time frame.  1 read ( maybe 2x ) through.

-- college, a professor or Teaching asst/ graduate assistant maybe spends 1- 2 hours.

-- now peer review.  It's a panel of 5-10 reviewers that the publisher hand selects/ recruits as experts in the field to spend multiple weeks reading the paper.  Checking every detail in every aspect of the paper. It gets sent back for revision several times for clarity, overreaching statements not supported or reached on too little substantive evidence backed up in the article.

Crazy thing about these reviewers is they hold each other to such standards because doing so, helps advance the collective knowledge in any  peer reviewed journal to a more respected place.

There is a reason that articles from " New England Journal of Medicine" of JAMA ....Journal of American Medical Association

Has the reputation they do within their respective disciplines. 

Unfortunately I think this falls on deaf ears. Likely, he believes that all 96% of experts are "wrong" and the fringe crazies are onto a secret he is now part of. So using anything to justify the credentials or validity of the data doesn't move the needle for them since they actually believe the majority of experts are "wrong".

Edited by incognito_man

43 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

And I’m not quoting my work or my experiences here, but rather the data collected by virologist, epidemiologists, biochemical engineers, public health experts, etc.

There is such a universal truth to this. Don't just listen to what the experts say, see who the experts are listening to and getting their words from.

LGB is educated, that education is a baseline to further knowledge - he doesn't have all the answers, but he has enough tangible knowledge and first hand experience to say "This select group of people are following a train of thought that is bound by logic and experience, based on decades of data," and he's able to take any sort of abstract data provided from them and verify at a high level.

In short, LGB (and other people in my personal life I've referenced in this thread) are too experienced to get duped by one source putting out invalid information, and they know how to work backwards to find the original source and either credit (or discredit) it.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Xenos said:

Government intervenes when it affects everyone, not just private businesses. That’s why we have seatbelt laws, drunk driving laws, and pre Covid vaccination laws.

They are needed for some things. I don't agree this is one of them. If this becomes a "law" (as you note those are what you listed) then we have much, much bigger problems. 

8 minutes ago, ET80 said:

There is such a universal truth to this. Don't just listen to what the experts say, see who the experts are listening to and getting their words from.

LGB is educated, that education is a baseline to further knowledge - he doesn't have all the answers, but he has enough tangible knowledge and first hand experience to say "This select group of people are following a train of thought that is bound by logic and experience, based on decades of data," and he's able to take any sort of abstract data provided from them and verify at a high level.

In short, LGB (and other people in my personal life I've referenced in this thread) are too experienced to get duped by one source putting out invalid information, and they know how to work backwards to find the original source and either credit (or discredit) it.

I love that you believe I can’t be duped.

Ive totally duped you.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

That doesn't give him the right to create division and point the finger lol. I know a hundred people who have had to do what he has.

Agreed, I’m no expert or do anything special. Never claimed to have been.  In fact, I’ve literally been saying don’t listen to me specifically.  Keep up.

Multiple family members at that, none of which act like pompous dbags who are better than anyone.

I don’t feel I’m better than anyone.  

But…. I do think I’m more educated than some.  Maybe smarter than some… Better looking than some…. 

Idk, maybe I am a pompous douchebag. Let’s put a pin in this one, I’ll get back to you.

Good for you excusing it, I'm choosing not to bc it doesn't help a damn thing. 

You don’t need to, and that’s ok because I can be satisfied in knowing all it takes for you to get some serious assache is for someone to point of facts that contradict your opinions.

And if you don’t mind, tell me what you’re doing to help?  You seem like a fella I could learn a thing or two from.

And I try not point fingers when I can, BUUUUUTTTTTT….

https://www.fox19.com/2021/07/28/unvaccinated-ohioans-represent-995-percent-ohios-2021-covid-19-deaths/

https://www.npr.org/2021/07/16/1017012853/97-of-people-entering-hospitals-for-covid-19-are-unvaccinated

https://apnews.com/article/coronavirus-pandemic-health-941fcf43d9731c76c16e7354f5d5e187

Like, how tf you want me to “both sides” this sucker?

I’m absolutely pointing fingers at unvaccinated people and people spreading BS as they’re the one responsible for this mess.  I’m not sure what’s confusing about that?

• Like 1