Covid-19 News/Discussion

bucsfan333

36 minutes ago, Xenos said:

And it’s this line of ridiculous thinking that got us to where we are now. If people would just get the vaccine when they had the chance, it wouldn’t be coming to mandates and passports. This isn’t about the government wanting what’s best for us. It’s just common sense at this point.

I'm not a huge fan of debating with memes because it usually just ends up becoming two people trying to play "gotcha."  That is not my intent here.  I just thought this was a good way to illustrate how sometimes things that seem like good common sense, turn out to not be that way as we get more information.

According to the CDC, "Human health effects from DDT at low environmental doses are unknown. Following exposure to high doses, human symptoms can include vomiting, tremors or shakiness, and seizures. Laboratory animal studies showed effects on the liver and reproduction. DDT is considered a possible human carcinogen."

DDT was once used as a cure for a case of head lice.

ktFq216.jpg

Edited by Uncle Buck

Just now, DontTazeMeBro said:

And also that has nothing to do with the vaccine. This is slight of hand.

No, it’s not.  When you dismiss it as a political stunt and a hoax, people believed and still believe him, which impacts vaccination efforts/rates.

Not only is this not slight of hand, it’s smack you in the face obvious. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

I'm not a huge fan of debating with memes because it usually just ends up becoming two people trying to play "gotcha."  That is not my intent here.  I just thought this was a good way to illustrate how sometimes things that seem like good common sense, turn out to not be that way as we get more information.

According to the CDC, "Human health effects from DDT at low environmental doses are unknown. Following exposure to high doses, human symptoms can include vomiting, tremors or shakiness, and seizures. Laboratory animal studies showed effects on the liver and reproduction. DDT is considered a possible human carcinogen."

ktFq216.jpg

All those hundreds of hours of research, and you couldn't even bother to look up and see that DDT was actually used prior to research being done on it's impact on humans and the environment, and that DDT is a primary driving factor in why the Environmental Defense Fund, and the EPA exist. The EPA's creation allowed for us to put in strong standards by which pesticides would be tested and regulated, and required to adhere to principles of peer review prior to use. Prior to this, pesticides didn’t need to be studied for their harm on humans or the environment, they just needed to be able to kill pests. 

So, no. No one questioned "settled science". We developed a process by which we could settle science in a field that wasn't following those standards in a way that was actually necessary.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

It's not "the government" that you are so irrationally afraid of that is "forcing". The reality is that the most educated and knowledge people in the world universally agree that the best thing for humankind is to get everyone vaccinated ASAP. 

The only reason government has to get involved is because a large number of extremely suggestible Americans are irrationally loyal to one man embracing non-science because it's politically advantageous for him.

Literally, we have hundreds of thousands of people dying because undereducated suggestible people are in a positive feedback loop with a rich former politician and it's ruining our country.

i actually don't agree that you can boil it down to one man. more or less the entire conservative media apparatus, and a sizable chunk of the party, got behind anti-vax. that's a concerted effort.

i also don't agree that you can reduce the entire unvaccinated population to the psychos who believe that stuff, although they are certainly the loudest and most infuriating group, and will be the most difficult to actually convince to get vaccinated. however, the current unvaccinated population is disproportionately low-income, disproportionately uninsured, and disproportionately nonwhite. it's important to make the distinction between the frothing-at-the-mouth conspiracists you see at anti-mask and anti-vaccine rallies or whatever, and normal people who might have a (somewhat justified!) distrust of the healthcare system and the government, or who are uninsured and think the vaccine will cost them money because that's the default way healthcare works in this awful country, or who can't take off work to deal with vaccine side effects. those are all reasons people haven't gotten the shot, and it speaks to a much more systematic failure of our institutions that this is the case.

having said that, those people are in this instance incorrect, and the way they are being leveraged in this thread to justify whatever dumb theories people have about the vaccine is stupid.

• Like 8

This topic has gone way over the line.  I'm locking it for the time being.  @bucsfan333 can open it back up again if he wants to moderate it.   If that happens any political comments, pseudo science BS links, conspiracy theories and other garbage will not be tolerated.  

For anyone who thinks COVID is a hoax, or the vaccine is some kind of mind control 5G chip used by Bill Gates to track us can just leave the forum.   Go back to Facebook.  These kinds of crazy conspiracy theories won't be debated or discussed here.  

• Like 17

17 minutes ago, Webmaster said:

This topic has gone way over the line.  I'm locking it for the time being.  @bucsfan333 can open it back up again if he wants to moderate it.

Sorry. I haven't had power since Wednesday. This can remain locked for a while.

Hopefully I'll have power back tomorrow to sort through the mess and figure out what's been going on.