Covid-19 News/Discussion

bucsfan333

38 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

One thing that has kept me skeptical of whether children are similarly or more resistant to COVID is the complete lack of a physiological explanation for where that additional resistance would be coming from. 

It seems like a lot of the most severe COVID cases are due to specific cytokine levels spiking, so okay that might explain why kids aren't getting as severely sick, but that doesn't explain why kids wouldn't get infected in the first place.

My wife, a scientist studying ARDS, thinks it has something to do with the (lack of) ACE2 receptors in younger children. As I understand it, infants have a low level of ACE2 receptors, and as they age they develop more of them until they reach a certain age (I believe 16?). I'm a layman, so dont ask me to go into anymore detail than that, haha.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

One thing that has kept me skeptical of whether children are similarly or more resistant to COVID is the complete lack of a physiological explanation for where that additional resistance would be coming from. 

It seems like a lot of the most severe COVID cases are due to specific cytokine levels spiking, so okay that might explain why kids aren't getting as severely sick, but that doesn't explain why kids wouldn't get infected in the first place.

I can only base it off of personal experience, but I am 💯 certain my kids had it, and 💯 certain they may as well have had a mild cold/allergies, as opposed to my wife being taken to the ER and me struggling with fatigue and unable to get through a mild cardio workout for 60-75 days. Throw in coworkers whom I trust with similar experiences, and that’s my conclusion on a layman end.

• Like 1

I think this is a level headed article. De Blasio's health advisor believes NYC will be at a completely out of the current situation in 6-8 weeks, but believes we're being a bit too aggressive with reopening at the moment. They're concerned in the short term and obviously about variants emerging, but are still optimistic. This is where I stand.

Also, here's a nice quote to get people even more hyped:

Meanwhile, de Blasio says the city is "hearing good things about the April supply levels and really extraordinary supply in May."
Edited by WizeGuy
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, WizeGuy said:

My wife, a scientist studying ARDS, thinks it has something to do with the (lack of) ACE2 receptors in younger children. As I understand it, infants have a low level of ACE2 receptors, and as they age they develop more of them until they reach a certain age (I believe 16?). I'm a layman, so dont ask me to go into anymore detail than that, haha.

Yep. What I've read recently is that its a combination of lower expression of the ACE2 receptor in kids -  (that's where the spike protein binds and gains entry into your cells) Fewer receptors = lower viral load.

Part 2 is that adults have "seen" a coronavirus before (... not this one) so they are sensitized immunologically and are more susceptible to the over-reaction of their immune systems.

A big part of the overall COVID pathology was an out-of-control immune response. So kids got a lesser infection and a lower response -> which is why they'd likely benefit from a booster in the future. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, ET80 said:

So what happens after six months? Booster shots?

Just a heads up- they're following-up with the participants in their trials to see if immunity is waning or staying strong. As of now, its been around 6 months since those participants have been fully vaccinated- and immunity doesn't seem to be waning. So, it's not a case of "we'll need booster shots because we think immunity wanes after 6 months". They simply don't have the data yet to say it lasts longer than 6 months. 

Hopefully, 3 months from now- Pfizer will say the vaccine is effective for at least 9 months.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Shanedorf said:
19 hours ago, WizeGuy said:

Yep. What I've read recently is that its a combination of lower expression of the ACE2 receptor in kids -  (that's where the spike protein binds and gains entry into your cells) Fewer receptors = lower viral load.

Part 2 is that adults have "seen" a coronavirus before (... not this one) so they are sensitized immunologically and are more susceptible to the over-reaction of their immune systems.

A big part of the overall COVID pathology was an out-of-control immune response. So kids got a lesser infection and a lower response -> which is why they'd likely benefit from a booster in the future. 

This makes sense. I wonder if this would explain all of the differences, or if we could use the relative estimate of ACE2 receptors in kids/adults to see how that would compare.

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

So what happens after six months? Booster shots?

Gosh dang it, a wise guy beat me to this response lol. But yeah it’s at least 6 months effective. Key words being At Least. And with any luck, that number will keep going up hopefully.

• Like 2