Covid-19 News/Discussion

bucsfan333

15 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

OK, feeling really bad now. Progressively worse throughout the day. 100+ fever, whole body aches, stomach cramps, headache. Hopefully things improve tomorrow.

Tylenol, water, and rest. It should get better after 24 hours.

Looks like the fourth wave is here. This time hopefully it’ll be different.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2021/03/fourth-surge-variant-vaccine/618463/

Some things that stood out to me.

The solution is obvious and doable: We should immediately match variant surges with vaccination surges that target the most vulnerable by going where they are, in the cities and states experiencing active outbreaks—an effort modeled on a public-health tool called “ring vaccination.” Ring vaccination involves vaccinating contacts and potential contacts of cases, essentially smothering the outbreak by surrounding it with immunity. We should do this, but on a surge scale, essentially ring-vaccinating whole cities and even states.

A vaccination surge means setting up vaccination tents in vulnerable, undervaccinated neighborhoods—street by street if necessary—and having mobile vaccination crews knock on doors wherever possible. It means directing supply to places where variants are surging, even if that means fewer vaccine doses for now in places with outbreaks under control. It doesn’t make sense to vaccinate 25-year-olds in places with very low levels of circulation before seniors and frontline workers in places where there is an outbreak.

Another sensible step would be to delay opening up—especially places with surges and especially for high-risk activities that take place indoors—until the next 100 million Americans are vaccinated, which could be done as quickly as in a single month. It makes no sense to rush to open everything now, when waiting a few weeks could protect so many. In the meantime, we need to protect frontline and essential workers by providing high-filtration masks and paid sick leave while targeting their workplaces with vaccination campaigns. We have already asked so much of them, and they have already suffered so much.

I understand the impatience with restrictions—I’m fed up and tired, too—but our restlessness risks creating one last set of victims who could easily be spared. We should not condemn anyone to be the last person to die unnecessarily in a war that we will win, and shortly. The vaccinated can clearly do more, and safely, especially two weeks after their final dose. But it’s a particularly perilous time for the unvaccinated, who deserve our attention, resources, and continued mitigation measures as appropriate.

19 minutes ago, Xenos said:

A vaccination surge means setting up vaccination tents in vulnerable, undervaccinated neighborhoods—street by street if necessary—and having mobile vaccination crews knock on doors wherever possible.

The tinfoil hat group will have a field day with this one...

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

OK, feeling really bad now. Progressively worse throughout the day. 100+ fever, whole body aches, stomach cramps, headache. Hopefully things improve tomorrow.

You should feel much better tomorrow. A few nurses I work with had similar experiences. Felt like **** for 12-24 hours, then felt much better. Although they were given the mRNA vaccines. 

1 hour ago, Xenos said:

Looks like the fourth wave is here. This time hopefully it’ll be different.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2021/03/fourth-surge-variant-vaccine/618463/

Some things that stood out to me.

No doubt in my mind it will be different. Still sad to see. Being hospitalized with this virus isnt a walk in the park, and is more likely to come with long term effects. Here's what Fauci has said about a potential 4th surge:

https://www.npr.org/2021/04/02/983742160/dr-fauci-gives-updates-on-the-state-of-the-pandemic-in-the-u-s

'You know, I really don't think that's going to happen. I mean, we got to always keep our guard up for those things. But the factor that we have now that we didn't have then is what you just mentioned a moment ago — the number of people that have been vaccinated. We have, you know, over 50 million people who are fully vaccinated, just short of 100 million who have received at least one dose. And we are vaccinating about 3 million people per day. So in some respects, it's kind of like a race between the potential for a surge and our ability to vaccinate as many people as we possibly can. And hopefully, if you want to make this a metaphorical race, the vaccine is going to win this one. Which I believe it will, if we continue with the vaccine program, which has really been quite successful, at the same time as we don't prematurely declare victory and pull back too much on our mitigation policy.'

Edited by WizeGuy

On 4/2/2021 at 2:33 PM, ramssuperbowl99 said:

4 million doses today. 

Officially over 4 million doses today! Have to think (hope) the vaccines will win the race against this potential 4th wave. I just hope acceptance among the younger adults is high. Im hearing mixed things among my friends, but I will say- many nurses at my hospital were against getting vaccinated until a bunch a people they know rcvd it. Hopefully the same rings true among those who are hesistant among the general population. 

Apparently the 7 day avg is now over 3 million doses now!

Edited by WizeGuy
  • Like 2

Got the first shot of Pfizer yesterday afternoon.  No side effects except about 24 hours after the shot I was extremely tired.  Felt like when I take a Benadryl for allergies and the drowsiness hits.  Nice excuse to watch Netflix all afternoon.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MookieMonstah said:

Got my second shot of Pfizer this morning. Luckily only real side effect was just being tired, and SUPER thirsty all day. I was drinking a ton of water anyway but it has not quenched my thirst at all which is wildly annoying haha

Try some Gatorade, or something with more electrolytes.  Your body may be craving those in addition to the fluids.

• Like 1