Covid-19 News/Discussion

bucsfan333

6 hours ago, Xenos said:

It’s great that he’s recommending people get vaccinated. But sometimes you need to do more than just recommend when your state’s hospitals are being overwhelmed and there’s a public health crisis. Maybe let vaccine mandates happen. Additionally why is he doing counterproductive things like preventing schools from mandating masks and other health measures? 

What should he do? Arrest people who don't get it? ......... Don't answer that.

I'm not going to pretend I know why he's doing certain things. You, and everyone else, shouldn't either. 

Edited by BobbyPhil1781

10 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

protecting the high risk, children, and compromised individuals who have no choice with the vaccine. 

Can you show me evidence Covid is higher risk to children than seasonal flu or other common childhood illnesses?  If they were really at substantial risk I think that would be a great argument to keep up some NPIs everywhere while we vaccinate them.  But that doesn’t appear to be the case at all. 

As far as people who can’t take the vaccine, the problem is these people are always going to exist and Covid is never going away. So unless we are going to all wear masks forever, which is not something society in general is supportive of, we need to learn how to live with that level of risk.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, WizeGuy said:

They're not testing as many vaxxed players, but at the very least- vaxxed players are not showing symptoms or else they'd need to be tested. Also, this:

This trend is something I've noticed from nurses I've heard or known to get infected. The few I've heard of catching it had hardly any symptoms, and confused it with allergies. I did here of someone from my wife's circle having a tough bout with it after being fully vaxxed, but she was in her 60s.

The NFL is going to be an interesting case study. That's for sure!

I saw something recently with a guy trying to out someone who is producing faked vaccination cards. She claimed she had one woman in NY falsifying records of people getting vaccinated to the tune of about 100 a week, and that's just one person. There are supposedly more people like her. Gotta wonder if fake vaccinations are widespread enough that some people getting COVID and experiencing moderate or severe symptoms while supposedly vaccinated are actually vaccinated at all.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Xenos said:

I do have to wear a mask when working inside my office space. I’m used to it. And in the end, this is really just a temporary thing until we get more people vaccinated. Whether through mandates, passports, or whatever persuasive touch points.

I’m ok with that argument in theory, although these most recent round of mask mandates are generally in areas where like 75-80% of people are vaxd and I doubt we will ever get higher than that pretty much anywhere.

8 minutes ago, mission27 said:

Can you show me evidence Covid is higher risk to children than seasonal flu or other common childhood illnesses?  If they were really at substantial risk I think that would be a great argument to keep up some NPIs everywhere while we vaccinate them.  But that doesn’t appear to be the case at all. 

As far as people who can’t take the vaccine, the problem is these people are always going to exist and Covid is never going away. So unless we are going to all wear masks forever, which is not something society in general is supportive of, we need to learn how to live with that level of risk.

Learn to live with it how? Expanding our already broken healthcare system? Hospitals are understaffed and stuffed to the gills with more patients than they can handle

8 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

Learn to live with it how? Expanding our already broken healthcare system? Hospitals are understaffed and stuffed to the gills with more patients than they can handle

I'll be blunt on my perspective:

Once a pediatric vaccine is available, I'll give anyone roughly 1-2 months of a grace period, and then after that, 0 excuses for not going full open and removing all mask and other mandates, as everyone will have/have had the opportunity to get the vaccine.

• Like 5

Just now, Deadpulse said:

The immune compromised people aren’t really the issue when it comes to the healthcare system though.  They’re a relatively small number.  Eventually we will learn to live with a small number of people who can’t develop a strong immune response against Covid and are more at risk of needing a hospital bed. Just like we live with these people being far more at risk for serious outcomes from flu etc. 

The obstacle to getting back to normal is risk of healthcare systems being overwhelmed in areas with low vaccination rates.  In those areas I’m fully supportive of mask mandates but I don’t think it’ll ever happen given the politics there.  On the flip side eventually enough people in those communities will have strong natural immunity that hopefully these waves will become less pronounced. 

11 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

Once enough of the population gains immunity via vaccination or prior infection- this will turn endemic. Unfortunately, we're not there yet because Delta is a douchebag, but we're getting closer. 

I just read an AMA with an immunologist- and he said we'll all likely be infected with COVID at some point. The vaccines will take a lot of steam out of the spread and even more steam out of the severe cases. As we as a population get infected more and more COVID will likely turn into something similar to a cold.

There are theories that many coronaviruses that cause the common cold today started as pandemics. The difference is- it may have taken years upon years (perhaps even generations) for the human population to gain enough immunity to knock it down to the sniffles. Luckily, vaccines should help speed that process up while also saving millions of lives. 

42 minutes ago, mission27 said:

I’m ok with that argument in theory, although these most recent round of mask mandates are generally in areas where like 75-80% of people are vaxd and I doubt we will ever get higher than that pretty much anywhere.

There’s no way numbers are that high. 75% of adults, maybe, but no one under 12 can receive it.

Theyre still people too, albeit tiny ones.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I'll be blunt on my perspective:

Once a pediatric vaccine is available, I'll give anyone roughly 1-2 months of a grace period, and then after that, 0 excuses for not going full open and removing all mask and other mandates, as everyone will have/have had the opportunity to get the vaccine.

At the same time, lemme know when a 4 year old can walk in and get vaccinated without a parent.

Unfortunately kids are stuck with the sometimes ****ty decisions/actions of their parents.  

Other than mandates from schools and daycares, I’m not sure how you really fix that though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I'm not going to pretend I know why he's doing certain things. You, and everyone else, shouldn't either. 

I mean, not banning a mask mandate in schools full of unvaccinated people would be a start.

Not trying to ban a vaccine mandate for cruises..

There’s “letting people live” and then there’s imposing policy that’s going to get people killed.  It’s literally making the situation worse.

This ain’t tricky.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

At the same time, lemme know when a 4 year old can walk in and get vaccinated without a parent.

Unfortunately kids are stuck with the sometimes ****ty decisions/actions of their parents.  

I'm well aware. That's on them to be blunt. I'm not looking out for anyone else's parental decisions or fall out, and neither should society when something is readily available to everyone FOR FREE. We need to quit feeding this mindset that somehow we look at what happened instead of the series of decisions that got people from where they are now to where they were, and pretend like those longstanding series of decisions doesn't have consequences, because they do. Quit holding everyone else hostage.

6 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Other than mandates from schools and daycares, I’m not sure how you really fix that though.

I'll be blunt:

I don't care. Get your kid vaccinated and if not, reap the consequences. I'm not wearing a mask or closing myself in for another however arbitrarily long it takes for people who are not going to get vaccinated or their kids vaccinated, nor will I comply in any means outside of whatever my employer dictates once everyone has access to a vaccine, or anything else for that matter.

We offer kids free lunches and a plethora of other supports, so when families don't take them, it's not our responsibility to deliver them, force them on people, or whatever else. This is the exact same IMO.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

He can start by letting schools implement mask mandates, and not threaten to withhold their salaries. 

And please don’t give me that nonsense that I don’t know why he’s doing this. He’s being a moron with his decisions and it’s killing his constituents.

• Like 1