Covid-19 News/Discussion

bucsfan333

17 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I wish data like this was available for every state and the US in general.

Thanks for sharing this

Most states actually do report both vaccinations and COVID cases by age buckets.  But yeah its hard to find it all in one place.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

If true, put me firmly in the "completely open up by June 1" camp. Those who willfully choose not to have that right. Let's quit thinking about them and move on with our lives.

The only thing that makes me hesitate (not even disagree, just hesitate) is what the appointment schedules will look like in a month from now. If there are people who still can't get the vaccine even though they are eligible because appointment slots aren't available, then maybe we need to think about this.

But we should have ~250 million doses in by May 1 so I don't see how this is a problem.

• Like 3

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

The only thing that makes me hesitate (not even disagree, just hesitate) is what the appointment schedules will look like in a month from now. If there are people who still can't get the vaccine even though they are eligible because appointment slots aren't available, then maybe we need to think about this.

But we should have ~250 million doses in by May 1 so I don't see how this is a problem.

If there's somehow a major mistake made and this happens, then yes, I could see some pause given on this front. Once they re-open everything, there's no going back, so I don't foresee this announcement happening anytime soon. That said, we are seeing a bunch of states already starting this (I.E. Texas yesterday, not to stir the pot), so I would see a lot of other states follow suit in the coming weeks, albeit the states that have been "hardliners" on this probably won't.

That said, barring something unforeseen like what you said above, I will be completely unwilling to listen to any argument to the contrary, and will promptly and politely thumb my nose at everything else outside of my workplace mandates.

28 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

If there's somehow a major mistake made and this happens, then yes, I could see some pause given on this front. Once they re-open everything, there's no going back, so I don't foresee this announcement happening anytime soon. That said, we are seeing a bunch of states already starting this (I.E. Texas yesterday, not to stir the pot), so I would see a lot of other states follow suit in the coming weeks, albeit the states that have been "hardliners" on this probably won't.

That said, barring something unforeseen like what you said above, I will be completely unwilling to listen to any argument to the contrary, and will promptly and politely thumb my nose at everything else outside of my workplace mandates.

In a couple months we'll be there and yeah the hardline states may drag it out longer than they need to, which will be a mistake and do damage to the economy.  

Being "100% back to normal" today is also a (much more egregious) mistake.  Some of these governors are risking becoming the next Michigan or Chile when we're so close.  The vaccine will win either way.  But do we really want one last surge of refrigerator trucks just for old times sake? 

• Like 1

Some free updates:

More than four million people in the United States received a coronavirus vaccine on Saturday — the nation’s highest one-day total since the shots began rolling out in December, according to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/health/covid-vaccine-states-distribution-doses/

Tracking cases and deaths:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/national/coronavirus-us-cases-deaths/

Its hard to say for sure with Easter but some signs that the mini-uptick over the past two weeks may be flattening out.  Michigan is the huge outlier.  But the rise in the northeast has at least paused.  Florida looking flat.  Texas continuing to plummet. 

Israel under 300 cases today for the first time since June 2020.

UK with its lowest case count since first week of September.

2 hours ago, mission27 said:

In a couple months we'll be there and yeah the hardline states may drag it out longer than they need to, which will be a mistake and do damage to the economy.  

Being "100% back to normal" today is also a (much more egregious) mistake.  Some of these governors are risking becoming the next Michigan or Chile when we're so close.  The vaccine will win either way.  But do we really want one last surge of refrigerator trucks just for old times sake? 

We don’t. But unfortunately a certain segment of the population doesn’t believe these trucks actually existed. Hopefully they don’t make up an important part of our herd immunity.

3 hours ago, mission27 said:
20 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I wish data like this was available for every state and the US in general.

Thanks for sharing this

Most states actually do report both vaccinations and COVID cases by age buckets.  But yeah its hard to find it all in one place.

Age bracket vaccination tracker here:

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#vaccination-demographics-trends

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

This is good stuff. I just realized this is how our governor is pulling data for our maps that show red, orange, yellow counties. He puts it out on a weekly basis but now I can just view it here. Very helpful. Thanks

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vikesfan89 said:

How are the states doing that abandoned the lock downs and mask mandates doing compared to the other states?  Texas seems to be doing OK even with the mess down there but I haven't heard much about the other states. 

Don't feel there's enough data to conclusively say anything as of yet. I believe Florida is the only other state to do so. Indiana is getting rid of theirs very soon, I know that. Assuming others will follow suit very soon after. 

1 hour ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Don't feel there's enough data to conclusively say anything as of yet. I believe Florida is the only other state to do so. Indiana is getting rid of theirs very soon, I know that. Assuming others will follow suit very soon after. 

I thought there was a number of other states that followed suit

18 hours ago, WizeGuy said:

Mask mandates and vaccine passports for mass indoor gatherings will be the only requirements. 

Mask mandates despite everyone having the opportunity to be/have been vaccinated by then?

I'll be blunt. I'm adamantly against this. There's no data to support this.