Covid-19 News/Discussion

bucsfan333

Just now, JohnChimpo said:

That’s outdated science. Eating like that would cause someone to have a reduced basal metabolic rate, meaning a reduction in the amount of calories burned at rest. 

I don’t disagree at all that people would be much better off against COVID if they were in better shape though. Nobody that I’ve seen said it would end the pandemic.

Cookies was just an example that I didn’t suggest. Like you said, it would mess you up although still lose you the weight. 

But it still is Calories In and Calories Out. That science is a proven fact when it comes to actual weight. For example, a 300 calorie deficient a week, regardless of diet, will lead to about 1lb a week weight loss depending on starting weight. 

For ideal weight loss, yes, common sense to have a calorie deficient but with decent food. Although I do feel he is exaggerating food cost. All you really need is chicken breast, some rice, veggies and fruits, etc. It is a pretty cheap grocery list and cheaper than fast food in the long haul. Store brand chicken breast is usually like 1.99 a pound. People just are lazy and also make excuses for themselves. 

20 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

No one. No one even implied. He’s exaggerating massively (perhaps he is overweight and getting offended). 

All that was said in this thread is that if most people were a healthy weight and eating healthy, hospitalizations would definitely be less, which is a common sense fact. 

Also look at all those overweight and unhealthy kids being hospitalized…

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/jemimamcevoy/2021/08/26/child-covid-hospitalizations-hit-new-pandemic-peak-experts-are-bracing-for-worse/amp/

28 minutes ago, Xenos said:

And guess who’s actually wrong in all this. The healthy lifestyle people who end up unvaccinated, spread it to others, and going to the hospitals anyway.

Vaccinated people are going to the hospital too. They're also spreading it to others. You're trying to use the exception as the rule, just like the anti-vax crowd. Y'all are more alike than you think. 

There's literally zero denying that a healthy lifestyle lessens the severity of covid and a myriad of other potential health issues. List all the exceptions you want to but it's not going to change a thing. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

I seriously wonder if people who say this have ever been to a grocery store. Yes. Things like salmon are kinda pricey. But they practically give fruit away. I mean really just cut out most of the sugar and you’re already half way there.

100%. May have never grocery shopped in their life. 

Like I said, overweight people are a barrel of excuses. 

5 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Vaccinated people are going to the hospital too. They're also spreading it to others. You're trying to use the exception as the rule, just like the anti-vax crowd. Y'all are more alike than you think. 

There's literally zero denying that a healthy lifestyle lessens the severity of covid and a myriad of other potential health issues. List all the exceptions you want to but it's not going to change a thing. 

How many of the vaccinated are going to the hospitals and spreading it to others versus the unvaccinated? 

Edited by Xenos

3 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Cookies was just an example that I didn’t suggest. Like you said, it would mess you up although still lose you the weight. 

But it still is Calories In and Calories Out. That science is a proven fact when it comes to actual weight. For example, a 300 calorie deficient a week, regardless of diet, will lead to about 1lb a week weight loss depending on starting weight. 

For ideal weight loss, yes, common sense to have a calorie deficient but with decent food. Although I do feel he is exaggerating food cost. All you really need is chicken breast, some rice, veggies and fruits, etc. It is a pretty cheap grocery list and cheaper than fast food in the long haul. Store brand chicken breast is usually like 1.99 a pound. People just are lazy and also make excuses for themselves. 

I thought that way for years, and the only reason I said it was outdated is that I recently finished a book by Dr. Jason Fung called The Diabetes Code that disputed “calories in, calories out” with updated science.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/the-calorie-debacle

I have no argument at all with your last paragraph. Your overall point stands.

1 minute ago, JohnChimpo said:

I thought that way for years, and the only reason I said it was outdated is that I recently finished a book by Dr. Jason Fung called The Diabetes Code that disputed “calories in, calories out” with updated science.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/the-calorie-debacle

I have no argument at all with your last paragraph. Your overall point stands.

Calories In and Calories Out is proven man, try it yourself, with the exact math, you will lose the exact weight every time. 

Yes, if you eat **** it will give you metabolic issues and you’ll end up messing your progress. Also, you don’t wanna lose weight too fast, more than 1-2lbs a week will mess you up as well. 600 calorie deficient a day is the maximum you want. 

I use to lift weights daily and count every calorie, and lost and/or gained the exact amount I wanted every time. And so has every other person I have ever known as well (that counts calories). 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Like I said, overweight people are a barrel of excuses. 

Eff off, you! I make no excuses. I love food and beer. I do not love not having good food and not drinking beer. My philosophy is and always will be to live your life how you choose as long as it isn't harmful to others. I'll die eventually anyways. Might as well die happy.

FTR, I'm not morbidly obese or anything. I still hoop and I can do any function asked of me. I just hurt a little more than I used to when I do it lmao.

4 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Calories In and Calories Out is proven man, try it yourself, with the exact math, you will lose the exact weight every time. 

Yes, if you eat **** it will give you metabolic issues and you’ll end up messing your progress. Also, you don’t wanna lose weight too fast, more than 1-2lbs a week will mess you up as well. 600 calorie deficient a day is the maximum you want. 

I use to lift weights daily and count every calorie, and lost and/or gained the exact amount I wanted every time. And so has every other person I have ever known as well (that counts calories). 

Yeah but see you’re throwing in the “if you eat ****” in there. That makes a huge difference. It works if you eat the right macros. That’s all I’m saying. Some people literally believe you can eat whatever you want. I know someone who eats very little and still has a very high body fat percentage.

9 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Eff off, you! I make no excuses. I love food and beer. I do not love not having good food and not drinking beer. My philosophy is and always will be to live your life how you choose as long as it isn't harmful to others. I'll die eventually anyways. Might as well die happy.

FTR, I'm not morbidly obese or anything. I still hoop and I can do any function asked of me. I just hurt a little more than I used to when I do it lmao.

You admit you don’t have an excuse, you admit you are a bit overweight due to lifestyle. That is totally fine! What is important is happiness, and if you’re happy that’s what matters! A lot of fat people aren’t like you though, they constantly tell themselves their overweightness is not their fault and have so many engrained excuses. You don’t have that. You know it’s self-inflicted, you accept that, and you are totally happy. No issues there. 

But I hear from fat people all the time who claim it’s not their fault and take zero responsibility and the first thing I ask them is “Do you consume liquid calories?” And usually the response is yes. The overweight issue in America really is mostly liquid calories such as soda , beer, and liquor. I had one fat guy tell me he gave up beer for liquor because liquor has “no calories”. *Facepalm*. Do people not know how to google? A shot of any liquor is the same calories as a Coors/Bud Light. 

If people chose to give up liquid calories and drink just water, the obesity epidemic would likely come very close to ending. However, I have no issues with people choosing that lifestyle, I only have an issue with people making excuses and saying their lifestyle is not causing their overweightness. You, for example, are fine. You understand exactly what’s going on. 

Edited by BayRaider
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

You admit you don’t have an excuse, you admit you are a bit overweight due to lifestyle. That is totally fine! What is important is happiness, and if you’re happy that’s what matters! A lot of fat people aren’t like you though, they constantly tell themselves their overweightness is not their fault and have so many engrained excuses. You don’t have that. You know it’s self-inflicted, you accept that, and you are totally happy. No issues there. 

But I hear from fat people all the time who claim it’s not their fault and take zero responsibility and the first thing I ask them is “Do you consume liquid calories?” And usually the response is yes. The overweight issue in America really is mostly liquid calories such as soda , beer, and liquor. I had one fat guy tell me he gave up beer for liquor because liquor has “no calories”. *Facepalm*. Do people not know how to google? A shot of any liquor is the same calories as a Coors/Bud Light. 

If people chose to give up liquid calories and drink just water, the obesity epidemic would likely come very close to ending. However, I have no issues with people choosing that lifestyle, I only have an issue with people making excuses and saying their lifestyle is not a problem. You, for example, are fine. You understand exactly what’s going on. 

I do have hypothyroidism but I don't blame it for where I am. It did, however, push me into a direction that I wasn't headed for when I got my initial diagnosis. I went from a fit 180 lbs to 210 in just over 2 months. Nothing changed with my lifestyle in that time. So, in a way, I can understand some people but, again, you can make changes if you feel that's the issue. My problem is 100% liquid calories. I drink heavy beers and I can put them down with the best of them. I can say, without question, that I add over 2000-3000 calories alone on that each weekend. I'm not a huge eater so I know my problem is beer and the hypothyroidism. I'd be hard-pressed to say that I even take in 2000 calories of food a day. I can guarantee you that if I cut out the booze, which I won't, that I'd drop significant weight. I just don't care. I'm healthy despite the size. Seriously, all my baseline stuff is good. 

40 minutes ago, Xenos said:

How many of the vaccinated are going to the hospitals and spreading it to others versus the unvaccinated? 

Not a lot of vaccinated go to the hospital. How many extremely healthy people are going vs unhealthy?

How the hell are you seriously not getting this?? Lol. Stop trying to argue that being healthy doesn't reduce the severity if infected. 

Question for those playing the "fat people are the problem" card:

- Can you tell me what your A1C is?

- Can you tell me what your HDL/LDL counts are?

- Can you tell me what you Triglyceride count is?

If not, you probably need to look into that. Being overweight is something everyone needs to work on, but being not obese doesn't immediately eliminate you from potential high risk factors such as diabetes, heart disease, etc.

(Granted, I'm sure we're dealing with a group of doctors who all graduated from John Hopkins in this thread... so I'm sure this was factored into any sort of response).

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Not a lot of vaccinated go to the hospital. How many extremely healthy people are going vs unhealthy?

How the hell are you seriously not getting this?? Lol. Stop trying to argue that being healthy doesn't reduce the severity if infected. 

Can you do me favor and stop being obtuse? I’m saying that the quickest way to beat this pandemic is being vaccinated. It’s the most important thing to not getting Covid and being hospitalized. Being healthy is a nice additional layer of protection but it takes time and it doesn’t work on its own against Covid. Otherwise we wouldn’t be having a summer surge with younger and supposedly healthier people. We also wouldn’t be having more and more kids hospitalized.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Xenos said:

Can you do me favor and stop being obtuse? I’m saying that the quickest way to beat this pandemic is being vaccinated. It’s the most important thing to not getting Covid and being hospitalized. Being healthy is a nice additional layer of protection but it takes time and it doesn’t work on its own against Covid. Otherwise we wouldn’t be having a summer surge with younger and supposedly healthier people. We also wouldn’t be having more and more kids hospitalized.

I'm not being obtuse about a damn thing. I jumped into this conversation with some guy saying we don't know how effective things will be and what variants will arise in the future. The best way to combat health problems is to live a healthy lifestyle in their opinion. If the vaccines can help against future variants, great. Even better. You posted the exception to the rule and acted like it was a viable crutch to lean on. I simply provided another example to show you that your logic is just like the anti-vax crowd. That's all I did and all I'm saying.... bc it is.