Covid-19 News/Discussion

bucsfan333

9 hours ago, MWil23 said:

This isn’t directed at anyone btw. I’m not sure why people are so quick to label those of us who are otherwise in great health who have heart issues or asthma with “comorbitities”. It’s infuriating tbh.

I mean, that’s literally what they are.  What am I missing here?

If you contract covid, heart disease or asthma are comorbidities that statistically have poorer associated outcomes. 

What’s the issue?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MWil23 said:

I mean, I know what my cholesterol and triglycerides are, and have had to make some major lifestyle changes in light of these combined with family history. I’ve also been fully vaccinated. I think it’s reasonable to hold both views. 

You’re absolutely correct, and no one has ever argued differently.

All of this nonsense over the last god knows how many pages is based on the following.

jetsfan said “why are we focused on vaccines when we could be discussing diet and exercise” (I’m paraphrasing) because shoehorning diet and exercise into conversations is his thing.

People more or less responded with “no one is saying not to do those things, but kale and burpees aren’t ending a pandemic, that’s a vaccine.  Do both, but at a minimum get vaccinated”. Again, paraphrasing.

At that point some folks decided to go full straw man and become incredulous that people don’t think others should exercise or eat better or that it won’t have better outcomes, which was never the case.  No one ever said not to do those things, simply they’re not how this whole thing gets solved.

So now the last however many pages is people pounding the table insisting V8 and jazzercising are important when literally no one ever disagreed. Any disagreement is that being physically fit alone is not a guarantee of anything.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I mean, that’s literally what they are.  What am I missing here?

If you contract covid, heart disease or asthma are comorbidities that statistically have poorer associated outcomes. 

What’s the issue?

Sorry I should have clarified:

my wife’s friend justifies any serious Covid illness or death with “yeah but they had comorbidities”, as though it only impacts those with serious health problems. It’s infuriating.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

jetsfan said “why are we focused on vaccines when we could be discussing diet and exercise” (I’m paraphrasing) because shoehorning diet and exercise into conversations is his thing

LOL

I totally missed this. Carry on 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️😂😂😂

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

At that point some folks decided to go full straw man and become incredulous that people don’t think others should exercise or eat better or that it won’t have better outcomes, which was never the case

See above with comorbidities being justified for this. I’m in better shape at 34 than most people in their early 20s, and I wasn’t the same for months post Covid. Also, see Myles Garrett for a better example.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Sorry I should have clarified:

my wife’s friend justifies any serious Covid illness or death with “yeah but they had comorbidities”, as though it only impacts those with serious health problems. It’s infuriating.

Right, mostly because they think comorbidities are only related to lifestyle or they don’t have any so who cares?

It’s the same as the “it only kills old people” argument.  When did their lives suddenly become less valuable? At what age are you no longer relevant?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

See above with comorbidities being justified for this. I’m in better shape at 34 than most people in their early 20s, and I wasn’t the same for months post Covid. Also, see Myles Garrett for a better example.

Yeah exactly.  There are a LOT of conditions that make some predisposed to poor outcomes that have nothing whatsoever to do with lifestyle choices.

• Like 2