Covid-19 News/Discussion

bucsfan333

2 hours ago, TVScout said:

Vaccines significantly lower chance of infection and ‘long covid,’ study finds.

There is “no urgent need” to give fully vaccinated people with healthy immune systems booster shots, the European Union’s agency for infectious diseases said. The announcement came as France rolled out booster shots for some older and immunocompromised people, with other E.U. countries set to follow soon.

Thanks for this. I was already gonna skip a booster but this makes it easier to do. 

4 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Lol

Well yeah I'm culturally unaware and too stupid to be brought in public. That's not news.

4 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

The human prescribed version is not approved/recommended for COVID treatment, which is why it's still not recommended that people ask for it or take it directly.

Yep. The key point is we'd all be making fun of Joe Rogan just as much if he gave ivermectin to his horse if he suspected the horse had COVID-19.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

The human prescribed version is not approved/recommended for COVID treatment, which is why it's still not recommended that people ask for it or take it directly.

Granted, I don't watch the news, I don't read media outlets like CNN/Fox News/MSNBC so I have literally no idea what they are saying here and what they're not saying.

But in terms of the general picture, yeah, Ivermectin is bad and idiots are using it lol

I never said it was approved. You’re right, it’s not, and there does need to be more data. But many, many doctors around the country do indeed prescribe, a lot of times with great success. During a pandemic, good doctors will try non-approved things if their patient gets bad enough. Some will stay by the book caring way more about license, regardless if patient gets worse and worse. 

The point is though, the media and fact-checkers mislead people quite a bit. You wouldn’t even know there is a human version or that it is prescribed for covid quite often. They elude such details. They just hammer their narrative that it’s purely an animal drug and rednecks are ODing on it (which I’m sure is true). They are misleading in an attempt to suit their narrative. Something the media and fact checkers always do.

3 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I never said it was approved. You’re right, it’s not, and there does need to be more data. But many, many doctors around the country do indeed prescribe, a lot of times with great success. During a pandemic, good doctors will try non-approved things if their patient gets bad enough. Some will stay by the book caring way more about license, regardless if patient gets worse and worse. 

The point is though, the media and fact-checkers mislead people quite a bit. You wouldn’t even know there is a human version or that it is prescribed for covid quite often. They elude such details. They just hammer their narrative that it’s purely an animal drug and rednecks are ODing on it (which I’m sure is true). They are misleading in an attempt to suit their narrative. Something the media and fact checkers always do.

Why do you need to know this, though? The only thing that matters is if your doctor knows it! The media doesn't want YOU to personally go and take Ivermectin, because we have seen the results of that!

But, let's be honest, the people who are smart enough to recognize the difference between the horse version and the human version already got vaccinated and don't need to care about Ivermectin. The other people:

1. Haven't been vaccinated, and
  2. Don't trust doctors in the first place until they're deathly sick and by then it's likely too late
Edited by AFlaccoSeagulls
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Why do you need to know this, though? The only thing that matters is if your doctor knows it! The media doesn't want YOU to personally go and take Ivermectin, because we have seen the results of that!

But, let's be honest, the people who are smart enough to recognize the difference between the horse version and the human version already got vaccinated. The other people:

1. Haven't been vaccinated, and
  2. Don't trust doctors in the first place until they're deathly sick and by then it's likely too late

The media eluding such details is not good for anyone, because someone might get a horrible perception of Ivermectin overall, go to the Doctor with Covid, and that Doctor wants to prescribe Ivermectin but that patient refuses as he’s been brainwashed by the media (due to eluding details/narrative building). He is therefore going against a medical treatment. 

I’m sure this has happened multiple times already tbh. 

7 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

The media eluding such details is not good for anyone, because someone might get a horrible perception of Ivermectin overall, go to the Doctor with Covid, and that Doctor wants to prescribe Ivermectin but that patient refuses as he’s been brainwashed by the media (due to eluding details/narrative building). He is therefore going against a medical treatment. 

I’m sure this has happened multiple times already tbh. 

A medical treatment that is neither approved nor recommended for COVID, mind you. And I'm sorry I just have such a hard time believing that people who are brainwashed by CNN/MSNBC would be in the hospital refusing Ivermectin after getting COVID because they're unvaccinated lol

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Well yeah I'm culturally unaware and too stupid to be brought in public. That's not news.

to be fair, it’s a random clip in a 35 year old movie 😂 

29 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Yep. The key point is we'd all be making fun of Joe Rogan just as much if he gave ivermectin to his horse if he suspected the horse had COVID-19.

This.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

And I'm sorry I just have such a hard time believing that people who are brainwashed by CNN/MSNBC would be in the hospital refusing Ivermectin after getting COVID because they're unvaccinated lol

You have a hard time believing this is media distortion because it's in no way true. The FDA press release on Ivermectin is both hilarious and scathing. I'm posting all of it because some people here need to read it:

https://www.fda.gov/consumers/consumer-updates/why-you-should-not-use-ivermectin-treat-or-prevent-covid-19

COVID-19. We’ve been living with it for what sometimes seems like forever. Given the number of deaths that have occurred from the disease, it’s perhaps not surprising that some consumers are looking at unconventional treatments, not approved or authorized by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). 

Though this is understandable, please beware. The FDA’s job is to carefully evaluate the scientific data on a drug to be sure that it is both safe and effective for a particular use, and then to decide whether or not to approve it. Using any treatment for COVID-19 that’s not approved or authorized by the FDA, unless part of a clinical trial, can cause serious harm. 

There seems to be a growing interest in a drug called ivermectin to treat humans with COVID-19. Ivermectin is often used in the U.S. to treat or prevent parasites in animals.  The FDA has received multiple reports of patients who have required medical support and been hospitalized after self-medicating with ivermectin intended for horses.

Here’s What You Need to Know about Ivermectin

• FDA has not approved ivermectin for use in treating or preventing COVID-19 in humans. Ivermectin tablets are approved at very specific doses for some parasitic worms, and there are topical (on the skin) formulations for head lice and skin conditions like rosacea. Ivermectin is not an anti-viral (a drug for treating viruses).
  • Taking large doses of this drug is dangerous and can cause serious harm. 
  • If you have a prescription for ivermectin for an FDA-approved use, get it from a legitimate source and take it exactly as prescribed. 
  • Never use medications intended for animals on yourself. Ivermectin preparations for animals are very different from those approved for humans. 

What is Ivermectin and How is it Used?

Ivermectin tablets are approved by the FDA to treat people with intestinal strongyloidiasis and onchocerciasis, two conditions caused by parasitic worms. In addition, some topical (on the skin) forms of ivermectin are approved to treat external parasites like head lice and for skin conditions such as rosacea. 

Some forms of ivermectin are used in animals to prevent heartworm disease and certain internal and external parasites. It’s important to note that these products are different from the ones for people, and safe when used as prescribed for animals, only.

When Can Taking Ivermectin Be Unsafe? 

The FDA has not reviewed data to support use of ivermectin in COVID-19 patients to treat or to prevent COVID-19; however, some initial research is underway. Taking a drug for an unapproved use can be very dangerous. This is true of ivermectin, too.

There’s a lot of misinformation around, and you may have heard that it’s okay to take large doses of ivermectin. That is wrong. 

Even the levels of ivermectin for approved uses can interact with other medications, like blood-thinners. You can also overdose on ivermectin, which can cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, hypotension (low blood pressure), allergic reactions (itching and hives), dizziness, ataxia (problems with balance), seizures, coma and even death. 

Ivermectin Products for Animals Are Different from Ivermectin Products for People

For one thing, animal drugs are often highly concentrated because they are used for large animals like horses and cows, which can weigh a lot more than we do—a ton or more. Such high doses can be highly toxic in humans. 

Moreover, FDA reviews drugs not just for safety and effectiveness of the active ingredients, but also for the inactive ingredients. Many inactive ingredients found in animal products aren’t evaluated for use in people. Or they are included in much greater quantity than those used in people. In some cases, we don’t know how those inactive ingredients will affect how ivermectin is absorbed in the human body.

Meanwhile, effective ways to limit the spread of COVID-19 continue to be to wear your mask, stay at least 6 feet from others who don’t live with you, wash hands frequently, and avoid crowds.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

A medical treatment that is neither approved nor recommended for COVID, mind you. And I'm sorry I just have such a hard time believing that people who are brainwashed by CNN/MSNBC would be in the hospital refusing Ivermectin after getting COVID because they're unvaccinated lol

Sometimes things are prescribed during a pandemic that are not approved, with success. It takes things years to get approved. Good Doctors are not gonna let there patient die just because something is not approved. It’s called using critical thinking and their professional medical knowledge during a pandemic. Yes, there are many doctors who solely care about their license and would never do anything like that, regardless if patient was getting beyond worse. 

7 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

You have a hard time believing this is media distortion because it's in no way true. The FDA press release on Ivermectin is both hilarious and scathing. I'm posting all of it because some people here need to read it:

https://www.fda.gov/consumers/consumer-updates/why-you-should-not-use-ivermectin-treat-or-prevent-covid-19

On top of that, the logic just doesn't check out. To fit that criteria, you would need a person who:

• Is unvaccinated
  • Has COVID
  • Religiously watches CNN/MSNBC to the levels of brainwashing them to refuse Ivermectin treatment
  • Is also in the hospital

The people who are unvaccinated and in the hospital are not the people watching CNN/MSNBC religiously. Now, if you told me they were watching Fox News and Fox News was pushing that Ivermectin isn't a good treatment, I would believe you. But that's not the case. Fox News has been advocating for Ivermectin this whole time, to my knowledge.

3 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Sometimes things are prescribed during a pandemic that are not approved, with success. It takes things years to get approved. Good Doctors are not gonna let there patient die just because something is not approved. It’s called using critical thinking and their professional medical knowledge during a pandemic. Yes, there are many doctors who solely care about their license and would never do anything like that, regardless if patient was getting beyond worse. 

Again I'm not arguing against doctors using it. 

Edited by AFlaccoSeagulls
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Tangentially related but the idea that people go to the doctor asking for a specific prescription completely boggles my mind. Advertising for prescription drugs should be outlawed. Those commercials that say things like "ask your doctor if Eighteensideffecticilin is right for you" just shouldn't exist. 

Edited by skywindO2
  • Like 3

Just now, skywindO2 said:

Tangentially related but the idea that people go to the doctor asking for a specific prescription completely boggles my mind. Advertising for prescription drugs should be outlawed. Like those commercials that say things like "ask your doctor if Eighteensideffecticilin" is right for you just shouldn't exist. 

I think we're the only country where there are drug commercials like this, but someone would need to check that.

1 minute ago, skywindO2 said:

Tangentially related but the idea that people go to the doctor asking for a specific prescription completely boggles my mind. Advertising for prescription drugs should be outlawed. Those commercials that say things like "ask your doctor if Eighteensideffecticilin is right for you" just shouldn't exist. 

Yes and no.  Nothing wrong with asking your provider if a medication is appropriate and it’s certainly an expectation that they be able to tell you why it is or isn’t.

That said, be aware you’re not bringing them an option they didn’t already know about and be willing to accept their answer.

• Like 1