Covid-19 News/Discussion

bucsfan333

Just now, MWil23 said:

More like "I don't want to wear one and so I'm going to sign and get my parents to sign this form". 

That’s more or less the same thing as a religious or medical exemption.

There’s no religious or medical reason for someone not to wear one, it’s an excuse, let’s just call it what it is.

At least this cuts out the charade.

• Like 1

https://news.yahoo.com/florida-school-district-receives-500-183217439.html

Here’s a dude who doesn’t have the ability to write a damned prescription or even administer the vaccine (unless he’s had additional uptraining iirc), but he’s apparently enough of an authority on them and people’s medical conditions to write an exemption.

It’s all a farce.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

Purely hypothetically speaking, if a school district offered kids a waiver to not wear masks and allowed them to not wear masks if it was signed by a parent and on file (not specifically for religious or medical reasons), how would you feel about this in a purely hypothetical situation, not that it's happening at all...again, purely hypothetical.

@LETSGOBROWNIES I would probably, as a teacher, feel like this:

This Is Fine GIF

Silly. Kids have to have so many PPE prior to even being allowed to enroll in public school. This is literally no different. 

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

Purely hypothetically speaking, if a school district offered kids a waiver to not wear masks and allowed them to not wear masks if it was signed by a parent and on file (not specifically for religious or medical reasons), how would you feel about this in a purely hypothetical situation, not that it's happening at all...again, purely hypothetical.

This Is Fine GIF

this-is-not-fine-12-90861a-1.png

The final panel from the updated comic is probably the only reaction I would have in this purely hypothetical, completely made up situation you just came up with as a thought experience for us.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

That’s more or less the same thing as a religious or medical exemption.

There’s no religious or medical reason for someone not to wear one, it’s an excuse, let’s just call it what it is.

At least this cuts out the charade.

Moreover, if you did have a medical exemption to wearing a mask, why the HELL would you be in public if your cardiovascular system is so bad you can't wear a mask?

Which reminds me, I went to Panda Express the other day and some hippie-looking 20-something guy in a Golf polo walked in and when asked if he had a mask, said "oh, I have a medical exemption" and no questions were asked. This guy looked like he just came back from a round of golf, but yeah sure he medically can't wear a mask. I'm so over these *******s.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Moreover, if you did have a medical exemption to wearing a mask, why the HELL would you be in public if your cardiovascular system is so bad you can't wear a mask?

Which reminds me, I went to Panda Express the other day and some hippie-looking 20-something guy in a Golf polo walked in and when asked if he had a mask, said "oh, I have a medical exemption" and no questions were asked. This guy looked like he just came back from a round of golf, but yeah sure he medically can't wear a mask. I'm so over these *******s.

The issue then becomes some minimum wage teenager having to argue with this ***.  Like, I’m sure they’re over that 10 min into the day.

Also, their store manager may not be willing to support them either.  It’s nice when some places just say “no mask, no service”. Hard stop.  “I have a medical exemption”.  Cool, no mask, no service.  

• Like 2

19 hours ago, skywindO2 said:

Tangentially related but the idea that people go to the doctor asking for a specific prescription completely boggles my mind. Advertising for prescription drugs should be outlawed. Those commercials that say things like "ask your doctor if Eighteensideffecticilin is right for you" just shouldn't exist. 

Agree.
This was the result of the FDA, AMA and FTC cracking down on the sales reps visiting the MDs, handing out nice perks as noted by pwny, taking them golfing, hosting swank events on distant isles etc  - in attempt to get more prescriptions written. It had gotten really out of hand. So they curtailed those visits from the sales reps, banned the perks, put a stop to the junkets.

But Pharma is powerful and they persuaded congress to give them the ability to advertise on TV/radio instead

Its absurd. The least informed group ( patients) are the easiest to manipulate- and now the MD has to tell them why they can't have Eighteensideeffectcillin  right now. As far as all of those side effects ( anal leakage !) they have to report them if they happened -  and the most prevalent ones make it into the commercial.

So Pharma commissioned psychology studies to determine the best way to list them based on human memory - and they figured out how to bury the worst side effects in the middle of the list. Our brains are more likely to remember the beginning ( primacy) and the end ( proximity) of the list - and forget the stuff in the middle.
Next drug commercial you see see, check if they buried the worst side effects

There's billions riding on this stuff, they don't mess around

• Like 6

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

The issue then becomes some minimum wage teenager having to argue with this ***.  Like, I’m sure they’re over that 10 min into the day.

Also, their store manager may not be willing to support them either.  It’s nice when some places just say “no mask, no service”. Hard stop.  “I have a medical exemption”.  Cool, no mask, no service.  

And like you said previously, there is no such thing as a medical exemption to wearing a mask. If you truly had one, you wouldn't be in public. I really wish stores would just do a "no mask, no service" kinda thing and just leave it at that.

But yeah, it was like 8:30pm at night, they closed at 9-9:30 and they were completely swamped, I don't blame them for not saying anything, it's just an awkward situation.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Agree.
This was the result of the FDA, AMA and FTC cracking down on the sales reps visiting the MDs, handing out nice perks as noted by pwny, taking them golfing, hosting swank events on distant isles etc  - in attempt to get more prescriptions written. It had gotten really out of hand. So they curtailed those visits from the sales reps, banned the perks, put a stop to the junkets.

But Pharma is powerful and they persuaded congress to give them the ability to advertise on TV/radio instead

Its absurd. The least informed group ( patients) are the easiest to manipulate- and now the MD has to tell them why they can't have Eighteensideeffectcillin  right now. As far as all of those side effects ( anal leakage !) they have to report them if they happened -  and the most prevalent ones make it into the commercial.

So Pharma commissioned psychology studies to determine the best way to list them based on human memory - and they figured out how to bury the worst side effects in the middle of the list. Our brains are more likely to remember the beginning ( primacy) and the end ( proximity) of the list - and forget the stuff in the middle.
Next drug commercial you see see, check if they buried the worst side effects

There's billions riding on this stuff, they don't mess around

Now they just pay them absurd amounts to speak at conferences.  Or did 5 years ago or so anyway.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

This Is Fine GIF

I would be very upset and probably try to convince my daughter to home school the grand kids.

11 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

And like you said previously, there is no such thing as a medical exemption to wearing a mask. If you truly had one, you wouldn't be in public. I really wish stores would just do a "no mask, no service" kinda thing and just leave it at that.

But yeah, it was like 8:30pm at night, they closed at 9-9:30 and they were completely swamped, I don't blame them for not saying anything, it's just an awkward situation.

I have COPD and I double mask. My two, five and seven year old grandsons have no problem wearing masks and my three year old grand daughter wears hers all day as well. Two of my grandchildren have restricted airways.

The only valid medical reason I’ve heard is autism.

16 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I hate even defending the nonsense, but possible side effects don’t mean probable side effects.

You are correct. My comment was more from the perspective of sitting on the sofa, watching a movie and the pharma commercials start. Listing the possible side effects takes a lions share of some of the advertisements. We always chuckle and joke if the illness doesn’t kill you the cure will. It’s all in fun.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/oklahomas-ers-backed-people-overdosing-053822589.html

For those who don’t want to click the link, lots of people are apparently in Oklahoma ER’s due to ivermectin overdoses.

Something tells me they’re not getting this from well meaning physicians looking to try everything they can to help their patients.

My family is from Oklahoma and Missouri. Unfortunately I don’t find this surprising.

On a positive note the city I live in surpassed 80% of 12+ fully vaccinated.

In Ontario there has been a doubling of vaccinations since the vaccine passport was announced.

Edited by diehardlionfan
  • Like 3

On 9/2/2021 at 7:02 AM, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

The issue I have with people like Rogan is they look for every possible “cure” for this disease, regardless as to whether there’s any verifiable data as to efficacy, instead of looking at the data and realizing that a mask and a vaccine is exponentially more effective at preventing notable illness and the further spread in the first place.

They continue these mental gymnastics and amateur science experiments, anything really, to avoid admitting they were either wrong or have no clue what they’re talking about.

I'm not defending Rogan but there's obviously still a big need for therapeutics and you could argue effective therapeutics will be more successful than effective vaccines in the long run because...

1. 20-30% of people will turn down a vaccine that could prevent a hypothetical illness in the future but only a small fringe will turn down effective medicine when they have a severe acute illness 

2. Vaccines need to be administered to everyone or most people, therapeutics only need to be given to people who are seriously ill.  Therapeutics are more nimble and have a more immediate impact than vaccines when the virus is mutating and new variants lead to new surges 

3. Stuff that is aimed at limiting transmission like vaccines will confer a major natural selection advantage on any variant that can evade the vaccines' protections, the same isn't true for drugs that treat symptoms 

Obviously the Pfizer vaccine is a better bet than Ivermectin.  But a "cure" for those who do get infected would arguably be an even bigger game changer in the long run than the vaccines were

• Like 1