Covid-19 News/Discussion

bucsfan333

9 minutes ago, mission27 said:

I'm not defending Rogan but there's obviously still a big need for therapeutics and you could argue effective therapeutics will be more successful than effective vaccines in the long run because...

1. 20-30% of people will turn down a vaccine that could prevent a hypothetical illness in the future but only a small fringe will turn down effective medicine when they have a severe acute illness 

The people turning down a vaccine are turning to treatments for political reasons, though. If the treatments were politicized like vaccines, they wouldn't be using those either.

9 minutes ago, mission27 said:

2. Vaccines need to be administered to everyone or most people, therapeutics only need to be given to people who are seriously ill.  Therapeutics are more nimble and have a more immediate impact than vaccines when the virus is mutating and new variants lead to new surges 

3. Stuff that is aimed at limiting transmission like vaccines will confer a major natural selection advantage on any variant that can evade the vaccines' protections, the same isn't true for drugs that treat symptoms 

Obviously the Pfizer vaccine is a better bet than Ivermectin.  But a "cure" for those who do get infected would arguably be an even bigger game changer in the long run than the vaccines were

I would not use the word cure, and I know you have it in quotes but is literally just a treatment. It doesn't prevent you from spreading COVID, or getting it again, it just helps deal with it. That's not more effective or better than a vaccine.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, mission27 said:

I'm not defending Rogan but there's obviously still a big need for therapeutics and you could argue effective therapeutics will be more successful than effective vaccines in the long run because...

The two don’t have to be mutually exclusive.  We should be getting vaccines, wearing masks when appropriate to prevent infections, and hopefully treating effectively once a treatment has been established.

1. 20-30% of people will turn down a vaccine that could prevent a hypothetical illness in the future but only a small fringe will turn down effective medicine when they have a severe acute illness 

Sure, but that doesn’t mean their decisions are sound.

2. Vaccines need to be administered to everyone or most people, therapeutics only need to be given to people who are seriously ill.  Therapeutics are more nimble and have a more immediate impact than vaccines when the virus is mutating and new variants lead to new surges 

I mean, Im not against a treatment.  Never have been, never will be.  But literally every peer reviewed but of data thus far says that’s not ivermectin.  So he wasn’t treating anything with it, he was taking an unnecessary med with no proven benefit and known potential s/e.

3. Stuff that is aimed at limiting transmission like vaccines will confer a major natural selection advantage on any variant that can evade the vaccines' protections, the same isn't true for drugs that treat symptoms 

Obviously the Pfizer vaccine is a better bet than Ivermectin.  But a "cure" for those who do get infected would arguably be an even bigger game changer in the long run than the vaccines were

Of course, but again, let’s not conflate ivermectin with a cure.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

The people turning down a vaccine are turning to treatments for political reasons, though. If the treatments were politicized like vaccines, they wouldn't be using those either.

100%.

They are doing this because they’ve dug their heels in at every step of the way and would rather grasp for (proven ineffective) straws than admit they’ve been duped.

And I don’t even blame the average bumpkin.  The seeds of doubt were planted by people in positions of authority and who should know better.

• Like 3

Update on recovery.

Received the antibody infusion (Regeneron) yesterday morning.  Yesterday evening, the congestion in my chest started breaking up more, good news but it wasn't moving out.

Got a solid nights sleep and this morning, most of the sinus pressure has dissipated.  Only thing lingering currently is the congestion.  However, when I get to coughing it does seem to be getting rid of it.  

So tired of dealing with this.  Going on day 10 now. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

Update on recovery.

Received the antibody infusion (Regeneron) yesterday morning.  Yesterday evening, the congestion in my chest started breaking up more, good news but it wasn't moving out.

Got a solid nights sleep and this morning, most of the sinus pressure has dissipated.  Only thing lingering currently is the congestion.  However, when I get to coughing it does seem to be getting rid of it.  

Hang in there. Sounds like you’re heading the right direction.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I agree, there are a lot of nonsensical politically motivated anti-vaccine and pro therapeutic takes and stuff like Ivermectin or Chloroquine are absolutely BS

But there are also differences in world views that have led to some embracing therapeutics from day 1 more so than vaccines 

• Zero COVID crowd wants to reduce transmission to as low as possible at almost any cost, including lockdowns, NPIs
  • Return to normal people believe its inevitable that we'll all get COVID and we should focus on building population immunity while saving the people who do get sick and preventing hospitals from collapsing 

For the record: the vaccine is far and away the best tool we have available at this time to accomplish EITHER of those goals and too many people in the second group ignore that while peddling snake oil

But I get why people are obsessed with finding treatments 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ny92mike said:

Update on recovery.

If you get Regeneron, how long do you have to wait until you get your second shot? I know that if you got it before getting any shots, you should wait 90 days. But since you’re in between.

42 minutes ago, mission27 said:

I agree, there are a lot of nonsensical politically motivated anti-vaccine and pro therapeutic takes and stuff like Ivermectin or Chloroquine are absolutely BS

But there are also differences in world views that have led to some embracing therapeutics from day 1 more so than vaccines 

• Zero COVID crowd wants to reduce transmission to as low as possible at almost any cost, including lockdowns, NPIs
  • Return to normal people believe its inevitable that we'll all get COVID and we should focus on building population immunity while saving the people who do get sick and preventing hospitals from collapsing 

For the record: the vaccine is far and away the best tool we have available at this time to accomplish EITHER of those goals and too many people in the second group ignore that while peddling snake oil

But getting treatment like Regeneron still takes hospital resources though. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Xenos said:

If you get Regeneron, how long do you have to wait until you get your second shot? I know that if you got it before getting any shots, you should wait 90 days. But since you’re in between.

Same duration, They just rescheduled my second shot 90 days out.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

So do the Caucasian unvaccinated think Covid is a hoax or do they take it so seriously they’ll resort to anything but vaccine? It doesn’t seem possible for both to be true.

They think it’s a hoax until they are exposed or get it. Then panic and will try anything.

I really thought as the pandemic grew people would stop, think and realize responsible behaviour is the only way out of this.

When I was young disease outbreaks were scary things. As vaccines spread it really removed a great deal of anxiety. If Doctors recommend it I have zero vaccine hesitancy because I saw as a child how wonderful they are. Measles outbreaks were awful. Chicken pox, uncomfortable for most but very serious for some also gives us a chance at shingles. I still remember the sugary smallpox vaccine.

Mumps could also be scary. My mother exposed me often, hoping I would get it as a juvenile because later life infection can be so much more serious. I never caught it and a vaccine became available in my teen years. Needless to say, I got it.

I think that other than a vaccine beating variant my main concern is long term impacts of Covid. Is it a Trojan horse? How does it impact dementia etc. as people age.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mission27 said:

I’m part of the crowd that wants it eliminated. Every misstep, early opening, etc. lessens that chance. It’s probably to late now.

Historians are going to have a field day writing about, “The One That Got Away,” How the world tried and failed to irradicate a new disease. 

While I think our Canadian Government has been a disaster with Covid, overall, the Premiers and citizens have been pretty good. Once we got vaccines a good percentage signed up.

This is the big Covid headline in Canada this afternoon.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/canada-on-course-for-worst-wave-of-covid-19-yet-new-modelling-data-shows-1.5572673

Edited by diehardlionfan
Addition
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

It's been like 6 months...when am I supposed to get magnetic powers or 5G in my head from the vaccine? 

I feel like I was lied to. 

Not sure why the possibility of becoming Magneto was ever a turn off to begin with. That mother is an Omega level mutant. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Deadpulse said:

Not sure why the possibility of becoming Magneto was ever a turn off to begin with. That mother is an Omega level mutant. 

Was one of the reasons I was so into it.  I didn't really get it to keep myself safe. 

• Like 1