Covid-19 News/Discussion

bucsfan333

5 hours ago, Xenos said:

Some experts and former FDA regulators do not think we need booster shots for the general population.

https://www.statnews.com/2021/09/13/international-review-argues-against-covid-19-vaccine-boosters/

As soon as I saw some FDA people step down over Boosters, I had a feeling boosters are maybe being pushed for the general population when they shouldn’t be (why? likely money of course), and those people left for ethical reasons. Now, today, I’m seeing articles everywhere including well known sites, that they are indeed not needed for the General Population. More for older people and immunocompromised. If you’re young and healthy, the two shot regimen should be more than enough. 

Edited by BayRaider

31 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

As soon as I saw some FDA people step down over Boosters, I had a feeling boosters are maybe being pushed for the general population when they shouldn’t be (why? likely money of course), and those people left for ethical reasons. Now, today, I’m seeing articles everywhere including well known sites, that they are indeed not needed for the General Population. More for older people and immunocompromised. If you’re young and healthy, the two shot regimen should be more than enough. 

Based on the article, I don’t know if it’s clear if those two regulators are leaving the FDA because of the booster debate or if they were always going to leave. While I agree that money is part of the reason, I also think the idea behind the boosters was more of a preemptive strike against infection breakthroughs, especially because of what happened in Israel and America this summer with a more contagious variant in Delta. And of course, the concern is always what happened in the winter which is supposed to be worse than summer if you were to compare the two seasons last year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, diehardlionfan said:

I agree with you. I’m disappointed in the worlds response to increasing vaccine production ability. Until we have a large increase in capacity vaccinations for a large number of countries will likely be secondary with is unfortunate.

The wealthy countries tend to have a myopic view when it comes to self preservation.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Xenos said:

Based on the article, I don’t know if it’s clear if those two regulators are leaving the FDA because of the booster debate or if they were always going to leave. While I agree that money is part of the reason, I also think the idea behind the boosters was more of a preemptive strike against infection breakthroughs, especially because of what happened in Israel and America this summer with a more contagious variant in Delta. And of course, the concern is always what happened in the winter which is supposed to be worse than summer if you were to compare the two seasons last year.

But don’t forget money is always the #1 motivator in this country, especially for Big Pharma.

• Like 1

Reading this is sad and frustrating at the same time.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/even-death-beds-covid-19-140125508.html

Although a number of patients do express regret that they have not received or sought out a vaccination, some even apologizing for it, according to nurse educator Monica Brower, others remain contentious, even after being on a ventilator and confronting the stark reality of their mortality.

"Don't tell me I have COVID. I don't believe in COVID," patients have told McFarlane, who teared up as she recounted combative patients.

"There is an almost adversarial tone to things when we ask, 'Did you get vaccinated?'" McFarlane said. "It creates a rift in the tone of the room, because it's a feeling of 'well you're going to treat me differently because I didn't get vaccinated,' and that is far from the truth."

49 minutes ago, Xenos said:

And as @ramssuperbowl99 will tell you, Big Pharma can’t make money if their customers are dying.

And the corollary is...
that it's vastly cheaper to vaccinate a human, than it is to treat a sick human, especially for COVID

So all of the mensa's out there pooping on the booster shot as "just another money grab"...are mistaken.
An ounce of prevention costs a lot less than a ton of treatment. 

Big Pharma has certainly earned our scorn, but at the same time there are millions of scientists working overtime to help us find treatments and cures - and they all have families too. So while its easy enough to gripe about the marketing of pharmaceuticals- the reality is that many of us wouldn't be here to ***** were it not for their efforts to improve and extend our lives. Every once in awhile, we should take a moment out ... and share a little gratitude for the tireless and often thankless work they do on our behalf.

( and no, I do not work for Big Pharma)

• Like 9