Covid-19 News/Discussion

bucsfan333

3 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

And the corollary is...
that it's vastly cheaper to vaccinate a human, than it is to treat a sick human, especially for COVID

So all of the mensa's out there pooping on the booster shot as "just another money grab"...are mistaken.
An ounce of prevention costs a lot less than a ton of treatment. 

Big Pharma has certainly earned our scorn, but at the same time there are millions of scientists working overtime to help us find treatments and cures - and they all have families too. So while its easy enough to gripe about the marketing of pharmaceuticals- the reality is that many of us wouldn't be here to ***** were it not for their efforts to improve and extend our lives. Every once in awhile, we should take a moment out ... and share a little gratitude for the tireless and often thankless work they do on our behalf.

( and no, I do not work for Big Pharma)

I’m sure Big Pharma doesn’t want hospital beds filling to the max. A 3 dose vaccine to every American citizen is more money that you can possibly imagine. At least hundreds of billions, and that may be a low-end estimate…

As for now, many studies are showing not the entire population needs to be subjected to a booster. So, I’ll make a decision based on science when it comes to making that decision. 

Edited by BayRaider

4 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

A 3 dose vaccine to every American citizen is more money that you can possibly imagine. At least hundreds of billions, and that may be a low-end estimate…

You realize that the vaccine was sold at $20/dose, correct? And this is public knowledge?

$20/dose*3doses/person*300 million people=$18B

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

You realize that the vaccine was sold at $20/dose, correct? And this is public knowledge?

Still listening to science when it comes to the boosters. Those in this thread offering up their arm if they don’t even need it are no worse than some of the people refusing the vaccine. Go with the research. 

1 minute ago, BayRaider said:
12 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Still listening to science when it comes to the boosters. Those in this thread offering up their arm if they don’t even need it are no worse than some of the people refusing the vaccine. Go with the research. 

Could you show your work on that 'hundreds of billions on the low end estimate' real quick? Thanks.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Xenos said:

This part is scary.

It keeps me up at night. Three of my grand children started back to school last week. They wear masks. All the teachers, custodians etc. are fully vaccinated. They work in cohorts. All the precautions reasonably possible. Windows are open etc.

Of course they are 80 school bus drivers short so the buses that run are three rather than two per seat, Every row occupied. What the………

Am I missing something? What’s the point of the schools precautions when the only precaution on the bus is masking?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BayRaider said:

A kid pandemic was unavoidable due to no vaccine under 12. If they want to do a school shutdown at some point, I’m alright with that, but like I have said, no business shutdowns of any kind. 

I disagree about a kid pandemic being unavoidable. Everyone masking up and everyone eligible vaccinated could have prevented a lot of these infections, hospitalizations, and deaths.

Edited by Xenos
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Xenos said:

This part is scary.

It's scary, yes - but without a control group it feels like it borders on irrational fear for now. I'm not saying I don't believe it's not a thing, just not convinced it's THAT awful. I hope like hell it's not...

Not to make this all about money, but even from a prosperity standpoint: imagine the cumulative loss of human wealth if 10% of a generation has a measurable decrease in cognitive function. That's terrifying.

On 9/9/2021 at 4:52 PM, NateDawg said:

I have already made it abundantly clear how I feel about government mandates with this thing. With that said, if this is the route they are going to go, are we actually cool with stuffing stadiums with 100,000 people, elbow to elbow? Vaccine or not. If you are truly going to take this thing seriously and not give people choices, why are we not actually taking things seriously? Gotta follow the money here. 

On the surface this is a very fair question to be asking. Unfortunately you are looking at it through the lens of "sick vs not sick" (which is strikingly similar to the lens that many evaluated covid in 2020 "you either die or you live") without evaluating all of the possibilities in between. 

The bottom line is that most people who want to be vaccinated have had the opportunity to do so in the US. So while the potential for spread is still very real, for vaccinated folks the risk of serious illness is below a tolerable/acceptable threshold. People who are vaccinated can go to these events and consider it to be generally low risk for this reason. 

So I think it is partly about the $$$, and also about not punishing people who have done everything right so far. If there was no vaccine, I have zero doubts that sporting events would be in front of empty stadiums right now. 

_________

The great irony in the "its just a cold" narrative is that it is just a cold.... if you are vaccinated. The death rate is .01% or whatever... if you are vaccinated. The people spewing this non-sense dont seem to be able to wrap their head around that part. Delta is different. I know its been said in this thread but its worth repeating, delta replicates almost 1000 times faster than the original strain. 1000 times! 

I have zero sympathy or patience for people who are choosing to not get vaccinated. My coworkers sister is a huge anti vaxer that got sick on August 16th. She swore up and down it was just like the flu Well, she has been in and out of the hospital twice and is now at home and having such problems breathing that she is begging my coworker to come take care of her kids because she is unable to do so. Its been a month. When is the last time anyone had the flu for a month??? 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, N4L said:

The great irony in the "its just a cold" narrative is that it is just a cold.... if you are vaccinated. The death rate is .01% or whatever... if you are vaccinated. The people spewing this non-sense dont seem to be able to wrap their head around that part. Delta is different. I know its been said in this thread but its worth repeating, delta replicates almost 1000 times faster than the original strain. 1000 times! 

I have zero sympathy or patience for people who are choosing to not get vaccinated. My coworkers sister is a huge anti vaxer that got sick on August 16th. She swore up and down it was just like the flu Well, she has been in and out of the hospital twice and is now at home and having such problems breathing that she is begging my coworker to come take care of her kids because she is unable to do so. Its been a month. When is the last time anyone had the flu for a month??? 

iT's oK ThoUGh B3cUz sHe ProBAbLy HaS coMOrBiDiTIEs!!!!

• Like 3