Covid-19 News/Discussion

bucsfan333

13 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I feel like this is like asking “why don’t people send their motor oil to the lab to see if they really need to change it” as opposed to looking at data that shows when oil typically looses its viscosity and needs to be replaced and just doing so on that schedule.

Awww. And I thought you were the only one who could actually just answer a question. 

A lot of people would like to get as few of these shots as possible and didn’t even want it in the first place. So if you could get say 10,000 miles out of it you’d maybe rather do that than every 3,000.

9 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

Awww. And I thought you were the only one who could actually just answer a question. 

A lot of people would like to get as few of these shots as possible and didn’t even want it in the first place. So if you could get say 10,000 miles out of it you’d maybe rather do that than every 3,000.

And before anyone uses this to lecture me that it’s only for blah blah blah. I was going along with the oil change metaphor. Get your dopamine hit somewhere else.

Edited by DontTazeMeBro

2 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

I though I did answer it?

I wasn’t really being a smartass or anything, it’s a good comparison.  Individual testing, blood draws, etc., is time consuming and expensive, just like sending oil to the lab every X thousand miles.

What they are doing now is determining exactly how many miles we can go.  The vaccine has been in use for less than a year, new info coming in each day.  Current data suggest for some groups, 8 months is the time for a booster, similar to how 5k is the recommended interval for most oil changes for maximum protection, but some recommend longer intervals depending on use/etc.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

The entire premise of the question is a non-sequitur. People not wanting to change their oil and sneak an extra 1,000 miles out of it doesn't determine when it's recommended, on average, to get an oil change. A person's emotional response to a health recommendation is their own problem.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I wasn’t really being a smartass or anything, it’s a good comparison.  Individual testing, blood draws, etc., is time consuming and expensive, just like sending oil to the lab every X thousand miles.

What they are doing now is determining exactly how many miles we can go.  The vaccine has been in use for less than a year, new info coming in each day.  Current data suggest for some groups, 8 months is the time for a booster, similar to how 5k is the recommended interval for most oil changes for maximum protection, but some recommend longer intervals depending on use/etc.

And what about the people who don’t believe in oil science? Hm? Have you thought about them?

• Like 6

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

“Just big oil trying to make money.  I’m gonna run this puppy on the same oil forever and show them.”

big oil and the automakers are in cahoots with this "change the oil every 3 months or it will shorten the life of your car's engine"

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

The entire premise of the question is a non-sequitur. People not wanting to change their oil and sneak an extra 1,000 miles out of it doesn't determine when it's recommended, on average, to get an oil change. A person's emotional response to a health recommendation is their own problem.

Who cares? I know a guy who doesn't change his oil very often, and his car runs fine. Clearly he knows more than the engineers who designed the car, as well as the other mechanic experts in their field. Therefore, I'm not changing the oil, and I'm also contemplating putting windshield washer fluid in the engine instead of oil, because it's all a scam anyway.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

Who cares? I know a guy who doesn't change his oil very often, and his car runs fine. Clearly he knows more than the engineers who designed the car, as well as the other mechanic experts in their field. Therefore, I'm not changing the oil, and I'm also contemplating putting windshield washer fluid in the engine instead of oil, because it's all a scam anyway.

I don’t change my oil often. 6k generally.

but let’s say all the worlds mechanics and engineers told me “hey every 1k miles past 3k were randomly gonna start killing grandmas or someone who is already sick, alright?”

I would change it more often. 

Just now, Dome said:

I don’t change my oil often. 6k generally.

(Fun fact: 6K for a synthetic/synthetic blend is usually still good).

https://www.aaa.com/autorepair/articles/how-often-should-you-change-engine-oil

Depending on vehicle age, type of oil and driving conditions, oil change intervals will vary. It used to be normal to change the oil every 3,000 miles, but with modern lubricants most engines today have recommended oil change intervals of 5,000 to 7,500 miles. Moreover, if your car's engine requires full-synthetic motor oil, it might go as far as 15,000 miles between services! You cannot judge engine oil condition by color, so follow the factory maintenance schedule for oil changes.

Just now, Dome said:

but let’s say all the worlds mechanics and engineers told me “hey every 1k miles past 3k were randomly gonna start killing grandmas or someone who is already sick, alright?”

I would change it more often. 

Really? That's kinda out of the box, trusting big car and big oil's word for it. Do you know how many people each year are killed by automobile accidents those people each year?

• Like 2

Just now, pwny said:

Is this a bad time to mention that 3,000 miles for an oil change is completely incorrect now? With modern oils, it’s between 5,000 and 7,500, and the general standard is now seen as 6,000.

Just now, MWil23 said:

(Fun fact: 6K for a synthetic/synthetic blend is usually still good).

https://www.aaa.com/autorepair/articles/how-often-should-you-change-engine-oil

Really? That's kinda out of the box, trusting big car and big oil's word for it. Do you know how many people each year are killed by automobile accidents those people each year?

Season 3 Friends Tv Show GIF by Friends