Covid-19 News/Discussion

bucsfan333

CA becomes the first state to mandate vaccines for K-12 schools.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.yahoo.com/amphtml/newsom-orders-covid-vaccines-eligible-171327687.html

California on Friday became the first state to announce a COVID-19 vaccination requirement for all public and private schoolchildren, a move affecting millions of students and once again placing the state at the forefront of strict pandemic safety measures.

The mandate would take effect for grades seven through 12, starting with the school term following the U.S. Food and Drug Administration's full approval of the vaccine for children ages 12 and older, Gov. Gavin Newsom announced. Students in kindergarten through sixth grade would be phased in after the vaccine has been approved for their age group.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

very curious to hear if you get any reaction

Did you feel the 1st or 2nd dose?

Both I had somewhat mild reactions. Arm was super sore and a nasty headache after about 8 hours with some fatigue.

22 hours ago, bucsfan333 said:

Mkay. Hopefully it's been long enough. Y'all need to get your **** together and leave the politics out of the discussion.

Bucs, you are so optimistic. You've been a mod for how long? How can you still be so optimistic? :D:D:D

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I was told by a pharmacist to wait until December for the booster since I’m fully vaccinated and have had it twice (the last time in august).

I would agree with the pharmacist in this case. 

Wouldn't it be more accurate to describe the "vaccine" as more of something in the same class as the Flu Shot? I do realize that it's not a live strain, it's not gene therapy, but it's also not as effective as a true vaccine as you can still get relatively sick but maybe not die as long as you're somewhat healthy with no comorbidities, and you can still pass it along to others. 

I've known 3 people hospitalized with it, 2 receiving both phizer shots, and the 3rd both Moderna shots. 2 still on ventilators, however, they both are diabetic, quite overweight, etc so that makes more sense obv.

Basically what I'm asking is, can it really be classified as a "vaccine" when its not nearly as effective as most vaccines. I am far from a medical expert, I just think it's more in the same class as the Flu shot in terms of its benefits.

As for nurses and other healthcare workers not getting the shot and getting fired for it, if you can still transmit with the shot, it doesn't seem to matter as much. If the patient has the shot, they should be more protected.

As for being required, there's a list of vaccines you need to have just to go to college. Don't see that being all too different than this.

Edited by BullsandBroncos

19 hours ago, MWil23 said:

I was told by a pharmacist to wait until December for the booster since I’m fully vaccinated and have had it twice (the last time in august).

Covid twice and fully vaxxed? You must be like the most well protected dude on the planet lol. And trying to top it off with a booster. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Covid twice and fully vaxxed? You must be like the most well protected dude on the planet lol. And trying to top it off with a booster. 

The exact quote was “You should just start going around licking doorknobs.”

• Like 2

Forget the booster, I went out and got the real thing. No knock offs around here. Tested positive on Friday after returning from an international trip on Monday. 

Tuesday/Wednesday - fatigue but I don't know what percentage was because of a long travel day. 

Thursday - headache, eye pain, very low fever.

Friday - woke up with a headache, low fever, stuffy nose, leg weakness, upset stomach. Couldn't sleep Thursday night. By far the worst I've felt through 5 days or so. 

Saturday - same as above but no weakness. Added pain behind my eye. At night I started to get fullness in my right ear. Noticed a slight loss of taste.

Sunday - mostly just minor eye pain and a slight headache. Noticed I completely lost all smell. 

Monday - woke up feeling the best I have. Very minor eye pain is still there. Taste is largely gone, about a 1 or 2 out of 10. 

Overall, pretty minor stuff all things considered. Temp never reached 100 unless it did on Friday (possible). Took Tylenol on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Will try to lay off it the rest of the way. Obviously I still could take a turn for the worst, but things seem to be looking up. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BullsandBroncos said:

Basically what I'm asking is, can it really be classified as a "vaccine" when its not nearly as effective as most vaccines. I am far from a medical expert, I just think it's more in the same class as the Flu shot in terms of its benefits.

Its actually much more comparable to the MMR and Polio vaccines. General data right now points to about a median efficacy rate of 90% for COVID-19 vaccinations. MMR sits at about 97% after 2 doses. Polio - after 2 doses, sits at 90% while a recommended third dose would bump it to 99%. 

In comparison, the flu shot is anywhere from 40%-70% given the season and how well the CDC "guesses" the strains that will circulate. The flu shot works very differently than the mRNA shot. They use dead strains of the flu to acclimate the body. mRNA focuses on the protiens all strains of COVID-19 use to enter the body. This big distinction takes all the guess work out and makes the COVID-19 vaccine more reliable by a county mile. 

• Like 5