Covid-19 News/Discussion

bucsfan333

56 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

J&J may have bad public perception now but we still have two other vaccines, and NovaVax which should be available anywhere from May to December (wide date range... should be wayyy sooner than December though, just a safe date). The NovaVax one is pretty interesting, especially since it's the only confirmed Vaccine to be effective against the South African strain so far. 

The only vaccine that is completely traditional method with dead/inactivated virus (which takes the longest of any method) is Sinovac. Although that is probably a rushed mess and I wouldn't trust China's ethical procedures. 

The fear is that the J&J pause will increase hesitancy towards the other vaccines as well. Additionally, the pause causes more problems at the global level than the US since the J&J vaccine is more convenient and cost effective compared to Pfizer and Moderna.

3 hours ago, mission27 said:

As the MoL predicted tbh

It's going to be interesting to see if this shifts more trust into the mRNA vaccines. My older brother and dad are pretty much done with J&J after this, but my older brother is now on board with getting Pfizer (just waiting a bit). My dad is already fully vaccinated, but my little brother is set to get the J&J vaccine through school. He's your typical lazy college kid, so he doesn't want to go through all the hassle to find an appt, drive to a mass vaccination center, and come back for a second shot. My dad wants him to avoid J&J now, and go with Pfizer.

I think what's important is how this effects vaccine acceptance as whole, because it's going to go 1 of 2 ways. 

1) People who were on the fence to get the vaccine abandon the idea because they now perceive ALL vaccines risky

2) Those same people see that the FDA halted J&J over a few extremely rare cases, and realize the FDA is doing their due diligence. They see that millions upon millions of mRNA vaccines have been administered, and there hasn't been a pause. They shift to the mRNA vaccines.

The anti vaxxers weren't going to take the vaccine regardless. It's those people who are in the 'wait and see' group that we need to persuade. Call me a blind optimist, but I think there's a chance after the hysteria dies down a strong majority of those people shift to the mRNA vaccine as long as they aren't halted as well, which doesn't seem that they will. 

Time will tell. I'm hoping for the best, obviously, and we're so f*cking lucky to have these mRNA vaccines even though I'd still take the J&J vaccine if it were offered to me. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, WizeGuy said:

It's going to be interesting to see if this shifts more trust into the mRNA vaccines. My older brother and dad are pretty much done with J&J after this, but my older brother is now on board with getting Pfizer (just waiting a bit). My dad is already fully vaccinated, but my little brother is set to get the J&J vaccine through school. He's your typical lazy college kid, so he doesn't want to go through all the hassle to find an appt, drive to a mass vaccination center, and come back for a second shot. My dad wants him to avoid J&J now, and go with Pfizer.

I think what's important is how this effects vaccine acceptance as whole, because it's going to go 1 of 2 ways. 

1) People who were on the fence to get the vaccine abandon the idea because they now perceive ALL vaccines risky

2) Those same people see that the FDA halted J&J over a few extremely rare cases, and realize the FDA is doing their due diligence. They see that millions upon millions of mRNA vaccines have been administered, and there hasn't been a pause. They shift to the mRNA vaccines.

The anti vaxxers weren't going to take the vaccine regardless. It's those people who are in the 'wait and see' group that we need to persuade. Call me a blind optimist, but I think there's a chance after the hysteria dies down a strong majority of those people shift to the mRNA vaccine as long as they aren't halted as well, which doesn't seem that they will. 

Time will tell. I'm hoping for the best, obviously, and we're so f*cking lucky to have these mRNA vaccines even though I'd still take the J&J vaccine if it were offered to me. 

I’m hoping for option 2 as well if I had to pick though I think it all depends on how long the pause is and what they find. I think it’s also important to have the J&J available though. If not for us, then the rest of the world.

Edited by Xenos
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Xenos said:

The fear is that the J&J pause will increase hesitancy towards the other vaccines as well. Additionally, the pause causes more problems at the global level than the US since the J&J vaccine is more convenient and cost effective compared to Pfizer and Moderna.

I don't think so. Will the positive outlook go down on "overall vaccines"? Probably, but I think it's going to be extremely minor, compared to specifically J&J. Most people I know are totally open to Moderna and Pfizer, but J&J is out the door at this point, especially if you're a woman (think the six were all women). 

11 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I don't think so. Will the positive outlook go down on "overall vaccines"? Probably, but I think it's going to be extremely minor, compared to specifically J&J. Most people I know are totally open to Moderna and Pfizer, but J&J is out the door at this point, especially if you're a woman (think the six were all women). 

I hope you’re right about the other vaccines. But I don’t think the J&J should be out the door at this point given that we’re talking about such an insignificant statistical anomaly. As I mentioned in another post, women have a higher chance of getting the blood clot from birth control.

Just got my first dose of the Moderna vaccine 5 hours ago. Still feeling fine, I think. Starting to get a slight headache, but at this point it is almost impossible to tell if it is because of the vaccine or just because I'm a human lol.

Also, don't want to get too into this conversation, but man was the process of actually getting the shot so incredibly easy. No copay, no funky insurance stuff, nothing. Walk in, show your ID, get a shot, make sure you are fine, then leave. There should be a system where we can do that for everything medical related for everyone.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Just got my first dose of the Moderna vaccine 5 hours ago. Still feeling fine, I think. Starting to get a slight headache, but at this point it is almost impossible to tell if it is because of the vaccine or just because I'm a human lol.

Also, don't want to get too into this conversation, but man was the process of actually getting the shot so incredibly easy. No copay, no funky insurance stuff, nothing. Walk in, show your ID, get a shot, make sure you are fine, then leave. There should be a system where we can do that for everything medical related for everyone.

I concur with that last part. And I’ll leave it at that before things get too crazy lol.

• Like 1

Got my appointment scheduled for April 21st, an entire two hour drive is the closest location lol. And I'm not in the country or anything like that. 

Not sure if it's Pfizer or Moderna, doesn't say. But it's one of the two. 

Not entirely sure if I'll keep this appointment due to driving reasons, but I at least wanted one scheduled. 

20 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Got my appointment scheduled for April 21st, an entire two hour drive is the closest location lol. And I'm not in the country or anything like that. 

Not sure if it's Pfizer or Moderna, doesn't say. But it's one of the two. 

Not entirely sure if I'll keep this appointment due to driving reasons, but I at least wanted one scheduled. 

I got to choose when I got to my apt