Covid-19 News/Discussion

bucsfan333

29 minutes ago, TVScout said:

I got virtually zero side effects from both the Johnson & Johnson vaccine and the Moderna vaccine.  Does that mean if I had been infected instead would I have had an asymptomatic case?

Not necessarily. I was positive for Covid and had very mild side effects for both vaccine doses, and when I had Covid, I lost all taste and smell, and had 3-4 months of elevated heart rate, fatigue, and other symptoms before this.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

In 2021 if you can’t say something is wrong it’s “missing context.” Everything actually doesn’t need context. The number of COVID cases ranking the same as the population doesn’t need any.

Except it does need context. CA, for example, is densely populated and therefore a small minority can wreck it for everyone when it comes to a contagious disease. What the mitigation method did was slow the spread, prevented our hospitals from being overwhelmed, and kept more people from dying. Hence why we have a lower death per capita than Florida and Texas, as well as a lot of other states. So yes while I would love zero cases, this is what we have right now. 

And yes, you’re wrong. Mitigation methods do work. 

Edited by Xenos
  • Like 1

Well, if you want my unfiltered non-football related opinion (because what I posted in that other thread was strictly football-related)

I'm really glad Dakota Dozier is vaccinated. Can only imagine how bad he'd be going through it right now if he wasn't. It's not often that potentially dying is good for someone's football career. It's a shame that he has so many selfish teammates who refused and continue to refuse to get the vaccine. Only increased the likelihood of him getting COVID despite taking precautions himself to keep himself protected. Hopefully what he's going through now doesn't affect him beyond time missed and being sick short-term. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Is this the place where we are allowed to talk about SCieNcE without getting tattled on?

@NudeTayne

;)

(jus' busting your chops)

I, too, am glad that gentleman is vaccinated. Otherwise his likelihood of death from contracting Covid would be 20-40x greater. I am sure he is glad right now as well.

😁

I'll allow it.

Also, fify 😉.

12 hours ago, Xenos said:

What restrictions are you referring to?

https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/12/europe/austria-unvaccinated-lockdown-europe-covid-intl/index.html

Austria is moving forward with consequences of decisions. Well-done.

I approve of this 100%: you're welcome to not get a vaccine and the consequence is not to participate in society with the rest of us. As it should be.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/12/europe/austria-unvaccinated-lockdown-europe-covid-intl/index.html

Austria is moving forward with consequences of decisions. Well-done.

I approve of this 100%: you're welcome to not get a vaccine and the consequence is not to participate in society with the rest of us. As it should be.

I think @BullsandBroncoswas referring to the EU restrictions on Moderna. But I haven’t seen anything for the EU as a whole.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Xenos said:

I think @BullsandBroncoswas referring to the EU restrictions on Moderna. But I haven’t seen anything for the EU as a whole.

Didn't mean the EU as a whole. Some of its individual countries are banning Moderna completely or for anyone is 30 or under. Some occasions  slightly older. Denmark and Sweden are doing it off the top of my head.

1 hour ago, BullsandBroncos said:

Didn't mean the EU as a whole. Some of its individual countries are banning Moderna completely or for anyone is 30 or under. Some occasions  slightly older. Denmark and Sweden are doing it off the top of my head.

It's 30 or under for males, as far as I know.

They have a surplus of supply for the other vaccines, so they can afford to do that, I suppose. If Moderna was the only option- you can bet your bottom dollar they'd still be offering it to that population. 

Hard to say if the US will do it. Many European countries have been a bit more conservative with their vaccines. For example the UK just recently approved one dose of the mRNA vaccines for children aged 12-17 where as the US has had that for a few months now. 

I'd assume the FDA will continue to recommend Moderna for younger male adults since the benefits heavily outweigh the risks from COVID. @ramssuperbowl99may have a better answer, though.  

Edited by WizeGuy
  • Like 1

It would appear that my workplace fits the bill for the new OSHA guidelines, and thus news dropped about everyone needing to be vaccinated by 1/4 or they will be subject to weekly tests. Typically every news story posted on the “company headlines” page is filled with generic positive responses, but hoooo boy some angry folks have come out of the woodwork.

The initial story has tons of comments demanding that the company “fight the mandate!” Etc, etc. Looks like it’s going to be a huge mess.

Very convenient that we sell popcorn. 

Edited by JiffyJag
  • Like 3