Covid-19 News/Discussion

bucsfan333

Just now, The Gnat said:

Ah weird. So they are Tier-1 or 2, but are excluded from this, I'm guessing because it needs to be negotiated with the NFLPA.

Yeah, that’s going to be interesting if the flu shot was any indication from last year.

Human challenge trial launches to study immune response to COVID-19.

A human challenge trial in medical research is a carefully controlled study that involves purposefully infecting a subject with a pathogen or bug, in order to study the effects of that infection.

https://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2021-04-19-human-challenge-trial-launches-study-immune-response-covid-19

WASHINGTON— Half of all adults in the U.S. have received at least one Covid-19 shot, the government announced Sunday, marking another milestone in the nation’s largest-ever vaccination campaign but leaving more work to do to convince skeptical Americans to roll up their sleeves.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/half-us-adults-have-received-least-one-covid-19-vaccine-n1264439?cid=sm_npd_ms_fb_ma&fbclid=IwAR2vTWtvdm52rTrjV7CgMCNDA8iZy8ysMVztSc5vxHk9jEI3trXoEY9mDSU

The vaccine rate really did move at lightning speed. 45-50% having at least one shot is remarkable. If that number can get to 70% things will be looking pretty good. I think we'll hit a wall around that point because I'm sure there will be a big % that just don't want it. 

Had round one. Ended up with the SinoVac due to a change in clinics the school used. I'll still get the Pfizer or Moderna when I get home. So far no issues. No arm pain, no fever, no tiredness.

Surprisingly, China is struggling to get people vaccinated. Any workers such as taxi drivers, healthcare workers, or front line workers all got it, but the general population is lagging. News article said it was due to cultural wariness of Western medicine techniques and the fact they've handled the pandemic so well there's less urgency among the people to get a vaccine.

5 hours ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

Surprisingly, China is struggling to get people vaccinated. Any workers such as taxi drivers, healthcare workers, or front line workers all got it, but the general population is lagging. News article said it was due to cultural wariness of Western medicine techniques and the fact they've handled the pandemic so well there's less urgency among the people to get a vaccine.

Well, that's interesting. Question for you (because I might have my "western" blinders on and can't really trust my own information) but do you think China managed the pandemic well? I heard (unverified) stories that funeral home kilns were going non stop early on in the pandemic, mass graves were in use early on, backlog of bodies in freeze waiting to be cremated... 

I mean, to me... That sounds less like a quality response to the pandemic. In fact, that sounds like a nightmare. But... is it true? 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Well, that's interesting. Question for you (because I might have my "western" blinders on and can't really trust my own information) but do you think China managed the pandemic well? I heard (unverified) stories that funeral home kilns were going non stop early on in the pandemic, mass graves were in use early on, backlog of bodies in freeze waiting to be cremated... 

I mean, to me... That sounds less like a quality response to the pandemic. In fact, that sounds like a nightmare. But... is it true? 

Hard to say. Partly true most likely though I highly doubt the mass grave stuff. Funeral home kilns I’d lean to true. But they were also the first one hit. The handling it well part comes from since then while so many other countries have floundered or continue to get slammed. We’ve lived life as normal, more or less, since we got back here in September. those that stayed said it was fine even in June. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

Hard to say. Partly true most likely though I highly doubt the mass grave stuff. Funeral home kilns I’d lean to true. But they were also the first one hit. The handling it well part comes from since then while so many other countries have floundered or continue to get slammed. We’ve lived life as normal, more or less, since we got back here in September. those that stayed said it was fine even in June. 

I gotta imagine given their propensity for it that a measure of the news you were referring to has some progandized spin to it. Vaccine hesitancy has been an issue in China long before COVID-19 

3 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

I gotta imagine given their propensity for it that a measure of the news you were referring to has some progandized spin to it. Vaccine hesitancy has been an issue in China long before COVID-19 

Was from an outside news source. I VPN that shiz! Couldn’t read a local news thing here if I wanted as they’re rarely in English. Also based on my coworkers thoughts that are Chinese. They don’t see a reason to get it which shocked me. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

Was from an outside news source. I VPN that shiz! Couldn’t read a local news thing here if I wanted as they’re rarely in English. Also based on my coworkers thoughts that are Chinese. They don’t see a reason to get it which shocked me. 

I'd be willing to bet they have never gotten any sort of vaccine in their lives. 

37 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Well, that's interesting. Question for you (because I might have my "western" blinders on and can't really trust my own information) but do you think China managed the pandemic well?

Considering the pandemic started in Wuhan and is now everywhere, we can pretty safely chalk up a 'no' to this question.

2 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Considering the pandemic started in Wuhan and is now everywhere, we can pretty safely chalk up a 'no' to this question.

I don't necessarily disagree, but I'm also open minded and willing to hear other viewpoints...

I mean, look at me in the Edelman v Megatron thread in Comparisons.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I don't necessarily disagree, but I'm also open minded and willing to hear other viewpoints...

I mean, look at me in the Edelman v Megatron thread in Comparisons.

I'd love to hear a more nuanced take, but that requires transparency. Without that, we're stuck between sweeping generalization or giving the Chinese government the benefit of the doubt that they have done nothing to deserve.