Covid-19 News/Discussion

bucsfan333

7 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

And honestly I'm a little surprised that no places have ran out of people wanting the vaccine yet with that many people already vaccinated 

https://www.pewresearch.org/science/2021/03/05/growing-share-of-americans-say-they-plan-to-get-a-covid-19-vaccine-or-already-have/

Turns out that the folks that scream about covid being a hoax and swearing off the vaccine don't represent the majority of the country.

Who knew?

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

https://www.pewresearch.org/science/2021/03/05/growing-share-of-americans-say-they-plan-to-get-a-covid-19-vaccine-or-already-have/

Turns out that the folks that scream about covid being a hoax and swearing off the vaccine don't represent the majority of the country.

Who knew?

That's a lot of numbers. 

But i suppose that it makes sense that more people are willing to get the vaccine now that it's been out there for a little while

2 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

That's a lot of numbers. 

But i suppose that it makes sense that more people are willing to get the vaccine now that it's been out there for a little while

It's also proven to be like 99.9% effective or something crazy like that. Even better than originally predicted.

9 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

I assume that's after 2 weeks after being fully vaccinated.  How long do they keep counting new infections after vaccinations? Is there a point like 6 months or something where they figure immunity ran out and a new infection would not go against the vaccine effectiveness? 

Sorry if that makes no sense.  I need some sleep

4 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

I assume that's after 2 weeks after being fully vaccinated.  How long do they keep counting new infections after vaccinations? Is there a point like 6 months or something where they figure immunity ran out and a new infection would not go against the vaccine effectiveness? 

It's everyone fully vaccinated up until now. Not necessarily the last two weeks. Lots of people have been vaccinated for a while now.

Just now, bucsfan333 said:

It's everyone fully vaccinated up until now. Not necessarily the last two weeks. Lots of people have been vaccinated for a while now.

But any idea how long they will keep counting? Not that it really matters but say people get covid 10 months after having the vaccine,  will that lower the efficacy still or do they assume the vaccine has done its job by that point? 

7 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

Did many experts even think that there would be a vaccine by now?

Creation of the vaccine is a different topic.  I would say never before were the resources for and manpower  from the scientific community combined with international collaboration used to focus so extensively on a problem.  Added to what @bucsfan333 notes below, the vaccine was using a concept that had been underway for 10+ years.  Not surevthe experts had full understanding of the process that would/could be dedicated to the process.

Let alone have half the country with a shot. Also what Bayrider said

Last few weeks, 3+M doses per day.  Prior to that, 2+M doses per day.

The main issue with administering vaccine was almost always limited by production of the vaccine.  Once enough of the vaccine were being purchased, production was scaled up using funding and manpower.

The industrial/ manufacturing capabilities of the US.... when pressed for a cause...can be unbelievable.   See WW2 as an example

7 hours ago, bucsfan333 said:

It was a worldwide event, in terms of research (that had already been occurring, just not as funded until recently). So it's not something that was dreamt up in a couple months.

We just needed leadership to help coordinate things. 

BUT. There's still plenty of the planet being ignored. So we're not really out of this yet.

Fully agree on all 3 points

• Like 1

And honestly I'm a little surprised that no places have ran out of people wanting the vaccine yet with that many people already vaccinated 

Proper distribution based on population need factors into that.  Alaska doesn't need 10 million doses like other states do.

But any idea how long they will keep counting? Not that it really matters but say people get covid 10 months after having the vaccine,  will that lower the efficacy still or do they assume the vaccine has done its job by that point? 

It shouldn't lower the efficacy of the first dose of the vaccine, but it would make us schedule a second dose if the vaccines stopped providing protection after a certain period of time.

Put more generally, we separate the magnitude and the duration of the effect.

And just for more background here, we are following up on this.

Instead of counting infections (we're doing that too, but this is easier), we take people who have been given the vaccine and test to make sure they still have antibodies to confirm how long protection has lasted as part of ongoing clinical research. So when Pfizer came out and said the vaccine is good for at least 6 months, that meant they did that follow up and still saw antibodies 6 months later. They'll keep going until they stop seeing antibodies.

(When they stop seeing those, that doesn't mean the protection from the vaccine is gone. Your immune system can remember how to make antibodies in case you ever get COVID and can ramp production up immediately. That type of remembered protection can last decades, or a lifetime.)

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

It shouldn't lower the efficacy of the first dose of the vaccine, but it would make us schedule a second dose if the vaccines stopped providing protection after a certain period of time.

Put more generally, we separate the magnitude and the duration of the effect.

And just for more background here, we are following up on this.

Instead of counting infections (we're doing that too, but this is easier), we take people who have been given the vaccine and test to make sure they still have antibodies to confirm how long protection has lasted as part of ongoing clinical research. So when Pfizer came out and said the vaccine is good for at least 6 months, that meant they did that follow up and still saw antibodies 6 months later. They'll keep going until they stop seeing antibodies.

(When they stop seeing those, that doesn't mean the protection from the vaccine is gone. Your immune system can remember how to make antibodies in case you ever get COVID and can ramp production up immediately. That type of remembered protection can last decades, or a lifetime.)

How the immune system remembers viruses

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/11/201102110039.htm

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

As someone in the industry who has run a flu program (the kind where we send nurses to your work place to give flu shots), if the Covid-19 vaccine turns out to be annual that is HUGE $$. 

I wonder if we could just administer both in the same shot to keep costs down. How many people would be eligible for one but not the other?

Here is a lengthy and well written article on the topic of the pan-coronavirus vaccine effort. Some great work being done and the result would eliminate the need for annual vaccines like we do with flu

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2021/04/vaccines-can-protect-against-many-coronaviruses-could-prevent-another-pandemic

Despite the many unknowns, the rapid success of vaccines against SARS-CoV-2 has sparked optimism. This coronavirus doesn’t seem particularly difficult to foil with a vaccine, which raises hopes that the immune system can be trained to outwit its relatives, too. Survivors of SARS years ago provide more encouragement: Some of their antibodies—an immune memory of that viral encounter—can also stymie the infectivity of SARS-CoV-2 in lab dishes.

NIAID’s Barney Graham, who helped develop Moderna’s mRNA COVID-19 vaccine, shares the optimism about pancoronavirus vaccines. “Compared to flu and HIV, this is going to be relatively easy to accomplish,” he predicts.

• Like 1