Covid-19 News/Discussion

bucsfan333

9 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

finally signed up for the Moderna vaccine for this week. Is there any difference between Pfizer and Moderna?

I don’t believe there’s a significant difference. They’re just not interchangeable so you have to get Moderna again for the 2nd shot.

Not free:

Kids don’t need to keep six feet apart in schools. Three feet is just as safe.

Our research found no difference in coronavirus spread among students and staff with different guidelines.

A year ago, as a rapidly spreading and relatively unknown new coronavirus was declared a global pandemic, schools across the country closed. Most of them stayed closed for the duration of the past academic year. The decision to close schools and keep children at home was based on a variety of factors, including limited knowledge about SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes covid-19, and how it transmits. National policy decisions were largely based on data adapted from influenza models, in which children, and schools in particular, were major drivers of previous viral outbreaks.  We wanted to see whether the six-feet guidelines are really necessary for public health. Our multidisciplinary team of researchers compared the case rates of SARS-CoV-2 among students and staff participating in in-person learning between districts that required three feet and those requiring six feet of distancing between students. We examined the 16-week period after schools reopened this fall across Massachusetts, where there is a universal masking mandate, among various other mitigation requirements, including hand-hygiene programs, symptom screens, stay-home-when sick policies and opening windows. Our statewide study found that case rates were similar among students and staff in both types of districts; the extra three feet made no difference in terms of reported cases of viral infections. We also found that coronavirus rates among students and staff alike (at both distances) were lower than rates in the corresponding communities, suggesting that schools that require masks are a safe place for students and school staff.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2021/03/15/kids-dont-need-keep-six-feet-apart-schools-three-feet-is-just-safe/

12 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

finally signed up for the Moderna vaccine for this week. Is there any difference between Pfizer and Moderna?

Forgot to mention that you have to wait an extra week longer to get your 2nd dose. Also not sure if the supply level is back to where it should be. There was a time where 2nd appointments kept getting pushed back for my parents.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Xenos said:

Forgot to mention that you have to wait an extra week longer to get your 2nd dose. Also not sure if the supply level is back to where it should be. There was a time where 2nd appointments kept getting pushed back for my parents.

a nurse friend of mine said she isn't getting it. Still smart and responsible to get it...

Edited by Humble_Beast
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

a nurse friend of mine said she isn't getting it. Still smart and responsible to get it...

This reminds me of this article. Think of hesitancy as a slow yes. Maybe you can persuade her?

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2021/02/05/962835966/some-health-workers-say-theyre-not-refusing-the-vaccine-they-just-need-some-time

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TVScout said:

Not free:

Kids don’t need to keep six feet apart in schools. Three feet is just as safe.

Our research found no difference in coronavirus spread among students and staff with different guidelines.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2021/03/15/kids-dont-need-keep-six-feet-apart-schools-three-feet-is-just-safe/

Is there any reason to keep schools closed at this point?

2 hours ago, Xenos said:

This reminds me of this article. Think of hesitancy as a slow yes. Maybe you can persuade her?

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2021/02/05/962835966/some-health-workers-say-theyre-not-refusing-the-vaccine-they-just-need-some-time

I was already kinda on fence of getting it, now I'm second guessing. My appointment is Wednesday

14 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

I was already kinda on fence of getting it, now I'm second guessing. My appointment is Wednesday

A little old but here’s a good breakdown of the vaccine and the side effects. You’ll be fine and you should get it. 
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/covid-19-vaccines-cause-mostly-mild-side-effects-cdc-finds-223027833.html

Edited by Xenos
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

Get it. As a healthcare worker who has been around a ton of people who have contracted COVID and a ton of people who been vaccinated (including myself)- the former is way worse; it's not even in the same stratosphere.

Ill just say- COVID has swamped our ICUs multiple times, killed one of our nurses, and has multiple nurses I know personally unable to taste or smell things months later. The vaccine hasnt done this to anyone I know, and I dozens of people who have been vaccinated. So, yeah, I personally do not want that virus floating around my body. It's a nasty sucka. Id much rather take a vaccine that's been developed and thoroughly tested and monitored by the brightest minds in the world.

The side effects to the vaccine can be tough, but they subside quickly and, honestly, a majority of people seem to have very mild side effects (sore arm, fatigue, etc...), but some have high fevers, one I know had COVID arm(a big red rash at the injection site), and one had her arthritis flare up; she's immune compromised, so she neglected the second shot. COVID likely wouldve done way worse to her. 

Of course, if you have any health issues consult your doctor with any concerns!

Edited by WizeGuy
  • Like 7

I have friends who still say their senses are ****ed 2 months out and one had it back in June and said majority of foods smelled so bad they made her puke. Literally every day. Pizza was one of those. She said she ate fried chicken for the first time a month ago and she could actually enjoy it and she cried out of relief. 

Give me 24 hours of BS to avoid anything like that.... yes, I like food too much lol. 

I can't wait for a week from tomorrow. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

April 24th, Jacksonville FL. UFC is having a full arena for a match, the first since covid shut everything down. The place holds 15k

Wrestlemania is at Raymond James Stadium in Tampa and they are looking to have 75% capacity