Covid-19 News/Discussion

bucsfan333

Not free:

Some long-haul covid-19 patients say their symptoms are subsiding after getting vaccines.

Arianna Eisenberg endured long-haul covid-19 for eight months, a recurring nightmare of soaking sweats, crushing fatigue, insomnia, brain fog and muscle pain.

But Eisenberg’s tale has a happy ending that neither she nor current medical science can explain. Thirty-six hours after her second shot of coronavirus vaccine last month, her symptoms were gone, and they haven’t returned. One tiny study released Monday but not yet submitted for peer review concluded that people with long-term symptoms who get vaccinated are more likely to see their problems resolve or not worsen than people who have not been vaccinated. But the research out of the University of Bristol in England compared only 44 vaccinated patients against 22 unvaccinated ones and was designed to determine whether the vaccines were safe for people with long-haul covid-19. In a post on the blog Elemental, Iwasaki proposed three reasons vaccines might improve people’s symptoms: T cells, boosted by the vaccine, could eliminate a viral reservoir; a heightened immune response could clear any lingering virus fragments; or the vaccine may “divert autoimmune cells,” if long-lasting symptoms are the result of an inappropriate autoimmune response.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/long-haul-covid-vaccine/2021/03/16/6effcb28-859e-11eb-82bc-e58213caa38e_story.html

• Like 1

On 3/15/2021 at 2:05 PM, WizeGuy said:

Get it. As a healthcare worker who has been around a ton of people who have contracted COVID and a ton of people who been vaccinated (including myself)- the former is way worse; it's not even in the same stratosphere.

Ill just say- COVID has swamped our ICUs multiple times, killed one of our nurses, and has multiple nurses I know personally unable to taste or smell things months later. The vaccine hasnt done this to anyone I know, and I dozens of people who have been vaccinated. So, yeah, I personally do not want that virus floating around my body. It's a nasty sucka. Id much rather take a vaccine that's been developed and thoroughly tested and monitored by the brightest minds in the world.

The side effects to the vaccine can be tough, but they subside quickly and, honestly, a majority of people seem to have very mild side effects (sore arm, fatigue, etc...), but some have high fevers, one I know had COVID arm(a big red rash at the injection site), and one had her arthritis flare up; she's immune compromised, so she neglected the second shot. COVID likely wouldve done way worse to her. 

Of course, if you have any health issues consult your doctor with any concerns!

thanks, I got my first shot today. Wasn't bad at all

• Like 3

Something to keep an eye out for.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abcnews.go.com/amp/Health/experts-urge-caution-15-states-uptick-covid-19/story%3fid=76512738

Although the country's national daily case average continues to fall -- about 32.5% over the last month -- nearly a third of all states have seen their average number of cases rise at least 10%.

Several states -- Delaware, Idaho, Minnesota, Nevada, Oregon and West Virginia -- have seen their case averages increase by at least 25% in the last week.

"Minnesota, I think, is really a harbinger of things to come. We're loosening up all the restrictions we've had, and in some ways creating a perfect storm moment for virus transmission, whether it's a variant or not," Michael Osterholm, an epidemiologist and head of the University of Minnesota's Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy, 

Edited by Xenos

government here has cocked up the vaccine rollout - doesn't matter that much because we have very low case numbers and relatively normal life but on the other hand it does matter from an international travel and commerce point of view tbh. they promised that we'd have four million doses by now and we're about four million short - for me even though it is still safe here by and large it's a case of promises made and broken tbh

absolutely awesome to see the vaccines rolling out in the us and the uk and how they're smashing it - unfortunately europe has decided to play politics and blame the vaccines for their own administrative screwups

Not free:

A harmless vaccine side effect could mimic cancer in mammograms. Here’s what to know.

One consequence of an active immune response can be an enlarged lymph node. And, because coronavirus vaccines activate the immune system, some people have swollen nodes in the days following a shot. This side effect appears to be more common after the Moderna and Pfizer shots than after the Johnson & Johnson vaccine. In Moderna’s trials, about 1 in 6 recipients reported swelling or tenderness in armpit lymph nodes, often on the same side as the shot, after a second dose. 

There’s no across-the-field consensus among radiologists on whether it’s appropriate to delay routine screenings after vaccination.

The American College of Radiology advises that it’s “optimal” to get imaging done before vaccination. The Society of Breast Imaging suggests a delay of four to six weeks after vaccination if it “does not unduly delay care.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/03/19/covid-vaccine-mammogram/

13 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

The cdc changed the recommendation for social distancing of students in schools to 3 ft minimum.  Is that going to change anything? 

Probably another tool to help ease the process to get most schools to reopen for in person. But it should be noted that the 3ft is based on students masking up.

Edited by Xenos

Well this seems to address one confusion that I had. Or at least point to one answer.
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/strong-reaction-first-covid-19-vaccine-may-signal-previous-infection-experts-214925129.html

Dr. Erin Morcomb, a family medicine physician at the Mayo Clinic Health System in La Crosse, Wis., and head of its COVID-19 vaccination team, confirms that the reactions can vary based on your health history. "What we've seen in studies is that the second dose does tend to have a little bit more potential to cause side effects than the first dose, but for people who have had COVID-19 infection previously and then recovered, they are at higher risk of having those same side effects after their first dose," she says.

1 hour ago, Xenos said:

Probably another tool to help ease the process to get most schools to reopen for in person. But it should be noted that the 3ft is based on students masking up.

That goes without saying but I don't see why schools wouldn't be trying to open asap

35 minutes ago, Zukhyubern said:

Had my second dose of Pfizer yesterday. Slept awful last night and feeling pretty crumby today but absolutely worth it. Good thing I’ve got plenty of hangover experience ;)

So it felt like getting punched in the face by Tyson? Lol

• Like 1