Was Brandon Scherff Worth the #5 Overall Pick?

MKnight82

24 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I said that selecting a Guard is not good positional value at 5, but if you look back at the 2015 draft there weren't that many better options.  I then asked what everyone else thought.  

Thank you for derailing this thread that I took some time and thought into this afternoon with your bickering and pettiness.  This is why I cannot stand talking to you on here.  

Goodnight.  

I didn't derail it, you brought up the Scherff selection once again! You opened it up for that selection to be discussed and even asked what others thought about the decision to take Scherff at 5, three years later. You had to know people weren't going to talk about the narrow focus you had about contract size for the entire thread and they didn't, your first 3 responses weren't about what you wanted the thread to be about at all. And you're upset with me? Get over yourself!

Then others in the forum started to talk about other selections in that draft besides Scherff, all I did was respond to their posts and you start acting all upset about it. 

I'm bringing up valid points and I'm proving them. I'm sorry that upsets you so much but it shouldn't.

2 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

What?

My answer has been and always will be Leonard. I'm imagining a world with Allen on one end, Leonard on the other, and Matt rotating. Oh mama. 

The pick should have been Williams, but when you look at that first round the pick could have been a lot worse.  We basically took a gimme single instead of swinging for a home run.  

38 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

The pick should have been Williams, but when you look at that first round the pick could have been a lot worse.  We basically took a gimme single instead of swinging for a home run.  

True, you're right. When you play hindsight, I am less mad about the pick, but doesn't take away from what I wanted :).

21 minutes ago, THESKINSFAN21 said:

How is Williams a home run pick? What had he done in this league to be considered a great first round pick?

He was a probowler last year, and 6'5" 295 lb dlineman that move like him don't grow on trees.  

13 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

He was a probowler last year, and 6'5" 295 lb dlineman that move like him don't grow on trees.  

Scherff was a Pro Bowler but you seem to want to ignore that. o.O

Williams is a good player, not all this "one of the best in the league" BS. He isn't even the best DL on his team and there are a lot of guys who can give you what he's given you in the league right now. On the flip side, Scherff hasn't been a homerun hit either, he has had his hiccups but there's no doubt he's our best interior lineman and arguably the best we've had in almost 2 decades, depending on how you'd rate Dockery and Thomas. Personally, I'd say he's better than those two.

Just now, Brian23 said:

Scherff was a Pro Bowler but you seem to want to ignore thato.O

Williams is a good player, not all this "one of the best in the league" BS. He isn't even the best DL on his team and there are a lot of guys who can give you what he's given you in the league right now. On the flip side, Scherff hasn't been a homerun hit either, he has had his hiccups but there's no doubt he's our best interior lineman and arguably the best we've had in almost 2 decades, depending on how you'd rate Dockery and Thomas. Personally, I'd say he's better than those two.

No I don't.  Read my posts.  I said looking at that first round he was a good pick.  I just said Williams would have been a better pick.  

Just like the 1 sack in the last 13 games not meaning the world,PFF ranks Williams as an average Defensive lineman while Scherff is rated a high quality guard. I'm not saying Williams stinks,but he's getting more hype because of his college play/first half of his rookie season than his play on the field.

3 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

I don’t know if you agree, but I think leonard Williams was as close to a sure things as it comes. He was the most talented player in the draft all season long, many of us didn’t think there was any chance he’d be there for us at 5.

And Unlike Scherff, Leonard Williams wasn’t going to have to switch positions play in the NFL. Scherff was going to have to switch from LT to RT if he had worked out at OT, and becsuse he got beat out by Moses for the RT position he had to totally switch his entire position to guard.

It seems to me that Leonard Williams was much more of a sure thing than Scherff, at least on the field. Now off the field and work ethic, I believe that’s where Scot worried about Williams, but it shouldn’t have been about ability because Williams wins the BPA argument.

Archived