Chiefs Releasing Eric Fisher and Mitchell Schwartz

Turnobili

24 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

Eh....don't necessarily agree with this. Many of us expected to move on from one of the OTs this off-season, and probably the other next year. Especially after drafting Niang last year. Fisher was the heavier contract of the two, and the lesser player. I think there's a lot that impacted this accelerating, between Niang and the injuries and the age and the expiring contracts and the reduced cap this off-season. An OL rebuild was going to be necessary this year or next regardless. I won't pretend the injury didn't make it an easier choice, but I think moving in from Fisher was definitely already in the cards this offseason. This is really only remotely surprising to Chiefs fans because it's both, but I think Schwartz's back injury had the bigger impact there.

And this team has not been shy in recent years about moving on from guys before they think the decline will hit too hard.

The Chiefs were down four of their best six OL come Super Bowl time, two from opt outs and the two from injury.

They'll be fine. People keep referencing the Super Bowl, but there's no QB that can survive being down 4/6 offensive linemen from a roster building perspective. Sure those guys opted out, but the Chiefs still invested resources. Plus, you should never overreact from one game. In the Chiefs' case it makes sense to upgrade the OL because with Mahomes, they can beat anyone - but it also wouldn't be surprising to see them focus on their defense.

1 hour ago, Jakuvious said:

Eh....don't necessarily agree with this. Many of us expected to move on from one of the OTs this off-season, and probably the other next year. Especially after drafting Niang last year. Fisher was the heavier contract of the two, and the lesser player. I think there's a lot that impacted this accelerating, between Niang and the injuries and the age and the expiring contracts and the reduced cap this off-season. An OL rebuild was going to be necessary this year or next regardless. I won't pretend the injury didn't make it an easier choice, but I think moving in from Fisher was definitely already in the cards this offseason. This is really only remotely surprising to Chiefs fans because it's both, but I think Schwartz's back injury had the bigger impact there.

And this team has not been shy in recent years about moving on from guys before they think the decline will hit too hard.

We'll never know - but to be clear, my point wasn't a dig at KC per se.   It's smart business sense to act that way as highlighted.   My point of the post is that teams act this way all the time - because that's what is allowed in the CBA.    Players who choose to hold out, even while under contract, should be viewed the same way.  There are consequences to those decisions (and players will need to pay the price with the penalties that apply), but the take of "players are under contract, they have no right to hold out" - is so off-base, given that teams have the same right to walk away from a contract - just the consequences are different, depending on the guarantees (or lack thereof).  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JoshstraDaymus said:

Yall got money for that?

Probably not a top tier guy,   But a middle Vet should be doable.   Restructure Jones,  Extend Hill and Mathieu.   The last 2 make sense to do even if we weren’t negative in cap.  

Paying 25 Mil to two guys coming off an Achilles tear in the playoffs,  and another coming off back surgery didn’t make sense.   Both only had 1 year left on their deals,  over 30.  It didnt make sense to hold high cap hits while they worked back from injury. 

This is not a Mahomes contract problem.   The minute we signed Chris Jones,  at least one of these guys were gone even without the injuries 

Edited by samsel23
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Magnifico said:

They'll still win their division or at worst make the playoffs as a WC. They have Mahomes, the rest of the division doesn't. Given the circumstances I assume most KC fans saw this coming. *shrug*

I think Joey Bosa just rented a room in the Chiefs backfield.

They are not owed the division.

Mahomes has yet to win a road playoff game. He has yet to win a playoff game without a bye.

We'll be fine in the wildcard with a bad O-line... yeah, sure.

I'm not predicting failure here. I am pointing out that O-line is the 2nd most important part of a football team behind QB.

• Like 3

Pelissero :

More changes on the #Chiefs offensive line: Starting center Austin Reiter will hit the free-agent market and is expected to land elsewhere, source said. 

With Eric Fisher and Mitchell Schwartz cut today, Patrick Mahomes' protection is set to look at least 60% different in 2021.

6 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Pelissero :

More changes on the #Chiefs offensive line: Starting center Austin Reiter will hit the free-agent market and is expected to land elsewhere, source said. 

With Eric Fisher and Mitchell Schwartz cut today, Patrick Mahomes' protection is set to look at least 60% different in 2021.

@Turnobili

You might want to edit the title to include "and letting C Austin Reiter hit free agency".   Doubt it needs a separate thread, since it's all about the 2021 KC OL anyways.

KC has a lot of rebuilding to do on the OL, but given Schwartz's and Fisher's situations, this was the right move for the team.

And as others have said, it isn't Mahomes' contract that is causing these moves. His cap hit isn't that high relative to other QBs next season. It's the relative cap hits for players like Clark, Jones, Mathieu and Kelce (Hill and Hitchens to a lesser extent) that are squeezing KC for 2021. The team seems really top-heavy cap-wise. Mahomes' cap will become more of an issue in subsequent seasons, depending on how much the cap increases in 2022 and beyond.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

@Turnobili

You might want to edit the title to include "and letting C Austin Reiter hit free agency".   Doubt it needs a separate thread, since it's all about the 2021 KC OL anyways.

I wonder if he’s any good. The Chargers need a center.

Edited by Xenos