Pre-FA Mock Draft

GWH87

No sexy pictures, just some words and a somewhat reasonable offseason. Our internal sorting of contracts will be the biggest hurdle with restructures, extensions and cuts. Let see is ole Russ has what it takes to allow Gutey to bring some guys back and invest in one to two pieces.

**To date $6m over cap (after taking out rollover from 2020 of $3.7m)**

Cap Magic (disclaimer I don’t claim to be a cap expert, pulling together sources for close estimated #s)

• Restructure** 

Bahk - done

Preston +$6m

Arod +$8m (do short term fix w/o locking up future cap)

• Extend** 

Z + $12m

Tae +$9m

• Release**

Lowry +$3m

Total cap ($32m)

Sign:

BigGuy (cap hit $1m)

- Why: Vet Leader, Edge Smasher, TD Catcher

Taylor (cap hit $1m)

- Why: Depth & plays well enough if needed. Also great asset to teach young O-line

Adams (cap hit $1m)

• Why: Small price, potential reward, depth that’s better than Lowry & Lancaster

Jamal Williams (cap hit $3m)

- Why: Pre Game Dance... nuff said... plus he’s the glue in our run game

Dalvin Tomlinson (cap hit $9m)

- Why: Besides a need Packers looked to acquire him via trade in 2020 but on an expiring contract thought better and will land him via FA, solidifies Run D & frees up Clark 

Troy Hill (cap hit $5.5m)

- Why: Slot corner is a need after NFCC, brings over new DC concepts and has quietly been great in the slot since moving there

Restricted (Tonyon + Lazzard + Sullivan cap hit $5m)

- Why: All these RFAs are needed + Tonyon is becoming next level

New cap $6.5m (sub out rookies final cap space of $2.5m)

Draft:

1(23) - Greg Newsome - CB - Northwestern (6’1” 190lbs)

**comes in day 1 starter opposite Jaire and forms the best young CB tandem in the league, everything we wanted King to be & more. Comes from the NW pipeline, size, speed and lock down talent.

• (Trade) 1(29) + 4(142) & Future 4th to Jets for 1(23) & 4(107)

2(62) - Amari Rodgers - WR - Clemson (5’10” 210lbs)

**wants to be a Packer & catch dimes from 12, let’s make it happen. Built like a RB but excellent slot option to move chains, create plays and master gadgets. Good championship pedigree.

3(74) - Josh Meyers - IOL - Ohio St (6’5” 312lbs)

**TY Linsley we are going back to OSU for your replacement, Meyers will step in day one and make the loss less noticeable and keep the line steady until Bahk is back

3(82) - Kenneth Gainwell - RB - Memphis (5’11” 191lbs)

**our new AJ, given a while to ramp up but will get the Dillon sample size from rookie year and make some splash plays. Might be my favorite pick due to flexibility and upside

• (Trade) 3(92) + 5(178) + Sternberger to Washington for 3(74) & 3(82)

4(107) - Alim McNeill - DL - NC State (6’4” 320lbs)

**invest in the Dline to keep the rotation fresh, will be a good guy to spell starters and learn along the way. By end of year might be taking more start snaps w/ Keke

4(111) - Cameron Sample - DL/Edge - Tulane (6’3” 275lbs)

** Interchangeable piece between Edge & DL depending down and distance. I think a poor mans ZSmith type, not athletically but motor, build and drive to do great things

• (Trade) 4(135) + 6(212) to Bengals for 4(111)

5(173) - Joshuah Bledsoe - S - Missouri (5’11” 200lbs)

**Need to stock the cupboard again, Bledsoe plays a great slot cover for RB/TE and can bring us flexibility needed with replacing some of the olds guard and allowing Savage to do his thing

6(218) - Luke Farrell - TE - Ohio St (6’6” 260lbs)

**Blocking executioner, nothing sexy to see here. BigGuy will teach him for a year and then we let him set the edge moving forward and grow into minimal pass catcher to compliment Tonyon

7(255) - Jacoby Stevens - S/LB - LSU (6’3” 215lbs)

**Hybrid tool to use once he learns the NFL game speed, former 5star that needs to be coached up but can be a big we drop into the box for dime sets to cover and hold our own v the run

UDFA:

Isaiah Loudermilk - DL - Wisconsin 

Jon Rhattigan - LB - Army

Landon Rice - TE - Jacksonville St

Roster

Arod/Love

Dillon/Jamal/Gainwell/Daphney

Tonyon/BigGuy/Deguara/Farrell

Tae/Lazzard/MVS/Rodgers/Funch/ESB

Bahk/E/Patrick/Meyers/Runyon/Turner/Stepaniak/Hanson/Taylor

Clark/Dalvin/Keke/McNeil/Adams

Z/Preston/Gary/Sample/Garvin

Bryns/Martin/Summers/Burks

Jaire/Newsome/Hill/Sullivan/Jackson/Hollman

Savage/Amos/Bledsoe/Green/Stevens

Crosby

Scott

Bradley

PS

Yosh Nijman

Jon Rhattigan

Isaiah Loudermilk

Patrick Taylor

Landon Rice

Randy Ramsey

Reggie Bagelton

Zack Johnson

Dexter Williams

Stanford Samuels 

Mike Weber

Anthony Rush

Let’s hear the chin music & GO Pack GO!

• Like 1

Ain't got a clue about draft names thus far but love the FA signings. Exactly what I would like to see happen in terms of positions and players you got. Great job!!

Would prefer an OT in the 3rd rather than an C.

Not a biggie but how come we are picking at 23 in round 1 and we have two 3rd rounders?

45 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I wouldn't be opposed to any of this. Nice job.

I like it too! I expect us to move up again this year just based on 3/3 so far with Gute. Like the player too. Like WR in round 2. Like the off-season signings. 

Change BigGuy to Big Dog. It took me a min to figure out who you were talking about

• Like 1

I don't see the point of bringing Lane Taylor back when you have another IOL drafted plus all the PS players that have been hanging around for a few years now; they don't need to be mentored, they need game time reps. I also thing you're wasting money on MAdams when he has only put in one full year on the field to which he had a staggering 1.5 sacks and a forced fumble; he's almost literally deadweight and his career is probably over. It'd be better to extend Lowry another year to shift money around so that if we were to cut him next year, the cap hit would be smaller.

The draft makes a lot of sense despite giving up way too much to move up in the first. It's predictable we will move up, but how far is the question? I'd also question the Newsome pick if that's who you're trading up for because there will be a good chance that he'll be there at 29. Also, you could essentially get the same player in Trill Williams a round or two later, where you have Josh Myers. You might want to look at TDN's write up of Myers and then rhetorically ask yourself how he fits our OL scheme.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/josh-myers/OQLhcnOuWH

I'd also be thinkin OT before C simply because we know how much depth we have at Guard, we know that Jenkins can play Center at an elite level, and we know that OT was a huge reason we lost to Tampa Bay the second time we played them; mainly the why we have almost zero depth there and we just cut Wagner...

I think McNeill will go way before you have him as well. He's shooting up the boards and would fit our IDL quite well. You can get a similar back to Gainwell in the 4th if he isn't there and I'd pull the trigger on McNeil earlier. I do like the trade you have in the 3rd as well, but would give up the 6th round comp, not the 5th rounder as you're not trading up too far in that round and you're giving up a player as well. Heck, you could probably just deal the 3rd and Sternberger. I like what you did Day 3 in terms of double-dipping at Safety and bringing in a S/LB hybrid, but Farrell isn't draftable and offers very little as a receiver.

I'm certainly not intending on sounding condescending, but I think you could do a bit better here. The direction and the logic is certainly there, but some of the fits you have don't wash.

Edited by Joe

Those are some interesting trades. 

We move up 6 spots in 1st and 35 spots in the 4th at the cost of a future 4th?  I don't think that is very likely.

Anyway, the players selections are all good. I would be ecstatic if the draft went this way.

5 hours ago, GWH87 said:

No sexy pictures,

5 hours ago, GWH87 said:

Adams (cap hit $1m)

• Why: Small price, potential reward, depth that’s better than Lowry & Lancaster

I am not sure that you could make a statement about football that I disagree with more. :D 

That said, I really like the draft.  It looks like you pulled two starters, a gadget Ervin/Tavon replacement, and a complimentary running back as first year contributors.  

@Joe already mentioned, and I agree, that we are heavy on the IOL, and light at tackle.  If you really think that Meyers is a day one starter at C, I have no issue with that selection.  But I do think for similar money that you paid Lane Taylor, we could get a guy like Marshall Newhouse (just an example guys, don't bite my head off), who could pay tackle while we already have ample depth at the interior positions and Bakhtiari is not a lock to be back for opening weekend.  

• Like 2

I'm a fan of this, but those trades don't seem realistic. The Jets trade down 6 spots in the 1st and 35 spots in the 4th in exchange for a future 4th? Washington essentially trades a 3rd for disappointing former 3rd-rounder Sternberger? Love all the choices and the roster we end up with though.

18 hours ago, Joe said:

I don't see the point of bringing Lane Taylor back when you have another IOL drafted plus all the PS players that have been hanging around for a few years now; they don't need to be mentored, they need game time reps. I also thing you're wasting money on MAdams when he has only put in one full year on the field to which he had a staggering 1.5 sacks and a forced fumble; he's almost literally deadweight and his career is probably over. It'd be better to extend Lowry another year to shift money around so that if we were to cut him next year, the cap hit would be smaller.

The draft makes a lot of sense despite giving up way too much to move up in the first. It's predictable we will move up, but how far is the question? I'd also question the Newsome pick if that's who you're trading up for because there will be a good chance that he'll be there at 29. Also, you could essentially get the same player in Trill Williams a round or two later, where you have Josh Myers. You might want to look at TDN's write up of Myers and then rhetorically ask yourself how he fits our OL scheme.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/josh-myers/OQLhcnOuWH

I'd also be thinkin OT before C simply because we know how much depth we have at Guard, we know that Jenkins can play Center at an elite level, and we know that OT was a huge reason we lost to Tampa Bay the second time we played them; mainly the why we have almost zero depth there and we just cut Wagner...

I think McNeill will go way before you have him as well. He's shooting up the boards and would fit our IDL quite well. You can get a similar back to Gainwell in the 4th if he isn't there and I'd pull the trigger on McNeil earlier. I do like the trade you have in the 3rd as well, but would give up the 6th round comp, not the 5th rounder as you're not trading up too far in that round and you're giving up a player as well. Heck, you could probably just deal the 3rd and Sternberger. I like what you did Day 3 in terms of double-dipping at Safety and bringing in a S/LB hybrid, but Farrell isn't draftable and offers very little as a receiver.

I'm certainly not intending on sounding condescending, but I think you could do a bit better here. The direction and the logic is certainly there, but some of the fits you have don't wash.

Not sure how giving up a 4th is too much to move up 6 spots, as said later I believe we’d actually have to give up more due to pick 107 being invovled.

I doubt Newsome makes it out of top 25 after his pro day, I’m a Trill fan as well but Newsome is on a different level and more than likely is knocking on the door of top 3 DBs in the draft. Running a 4.38 does that after his on the field tape.

I’m ok with taking out Meyers, slide Gainwell up to that pick, slot in McNeill @ 82 and then plug in Walker Little or Spencer Brown (if still there) @ 107.

My starting OL with the Meyers pick was E/Runyan/Meyers/Patrick/Turner until Bahk is back.... if we draft a tackle do we plan on them starting right away? I felt this gave us a seriously solid line close to last years.

Adams played well this year before injury, could be said better than Lowry & Lancaster. So my hope was with a carrot 1yr contract he’d get it together again barring injury. I’d rather spend $1m for him as bottom of DL roster than $2-3m in Lowry... it straps us too much.

I’m ok saying dueces to Taylor, didn’t have another target to bring in with the cap left. Appreciate the feedback

2 hours ago, GWH87 said:

Not sure how giving up a 4th is too much to move up 6 spots, as said later I believe we’d actually have to give up more due to pick 107 being invovled.

I’m ok with taking out Meyers, slide Gainwell up to that pick, slot in McNeill @ 82 and then plug in Walker Little or Spencer Brown (if still there) @ 107.

My starting OL with the Meyers pick was E/Runyan/Meyers/Patrick/Turner until Bahk is back.... if we draft a tackle do we plan on them starting right away? I felt this gave us a seriously solid line close to last years.

I could've worded this a bit better as I was posting a bit quickly to get to an appt. We'd be better trading down and out of the 3rd to move up those 6 spots rather than giving up a future 4th and using our 5th comp or 6th round pick to move up in the 3rd hypothetically. We don't have the salary cap to "win now" thanks to Covid so we're going to have to hit on our first three or four picks out of this class.

Newsome is the flavor of the week, no doubt and we know why(Slater's also boosted his stock significantly by his performance); but the draft's still a month and a half away - other prospects will shoot up the boards. That is, of course, not to speak ill of Newsome(or Slater for that matter) as a prospect.

Myers was really the only bad pick within the first three rounds. Not only does he not fit our offensive blocking system at all, but we're better off drafting a Tackle simply because RT is an open spot at the moment with Bakh injured and Billy Turner being pressed into service at LT where he clearly doesn't belong as evidenced by the TB game. We know we're DEEP at IOL and that we're better when Turner is at RT or better yet, RG given that he's a better option there than Lucas Patrick who was abused by Suh and the other TB IDL. We also forget that we drafted Jake Hanson last year who the team has indicated as heir apparent to Linsley. While Myers is projected to be a Center, he's probably better off as a RG and after reading his scouting reports, he's pretty overrated TBH. Ryan Day has done a phenomenal job with that program and dare I say I think he'll have better success than Urban Meyer in the long run, but his players are bottoming out rather quickly in the NFL and teams are already on notice given the Haskins fiasco. 

I'd also pull the trigger on OT a little earlier as well given Brown's issues with speed rushers and Little's issues as a run-blocker. I think Dillon Radunz solves those issues and if it means reaching on him at 29, it means reaching on him at 29 because he's plug-n-play at either Tackle position. CB is a rather deep class this year as well, so we can afford to go Radunz, followed by two more CB's and grab the best RB that has slid down the boards, which will undoubtedly happen. If we have depth at Tackle, we probably go to the Superb Owl and are picking 32nd.  

That all said, this is one of the better and more realistic mocks we've had on this board in quite awhile now.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Joe said:

We know we're DEEP at IOL and that we're better when Turner is at RT or better yet, RG given that he's a better option there than Lucas Patrick who was abused by Suh and the other TB IDL. We also forget that we drafted Jake Hanson last year who the team has indicated as heir apparent to Linsley. While Myers is projected to be a Center, he's probably better off as a RG and after reading his scouting reports, he's pretty overrated TBH. Ryan Day has done a phenomenal job with that program and dare I say I think he'll have better success than Urban Meyer in the long run, but his players are bottoming out rather quickly in the NFL and teams are already on notice given the Haskins fiasco. 

We think we are deep at IOL.  Not that we are deep.  That needs to clarified.  Right now, it's Elgton Jenkins and a few question marks.  As you mentioned, Lucas Patrick is a solid stopgap at RG (or LG or C), but he's not someone you're penciling in for the next decade.  Jon Runyan played 160 offensive snaps last year, and while he did look promising when pressed into duty he was quite clearly OL7 on the depth chart.  Simon Stepaniak probably would have gone higher had he not torn his ACL his final year at Indiana, but the reality is that he didn't play a single snap in 2020.  We hope he'll be ready to go and able to take one of the starting OGs spots.  Is it deeper than the OTs spots?  I think that goes without saying, but I wouldn't argue that we're deep there.

7 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

We think we are deep at IOL.  Not that we are deep.  That needs to clarified.  Right now, it's Elgton Jenkins and a few question marks.  As you mentioned, Lucas Patrick is a solid stopgap at RG (or LG or C), but he's not someone you're penciling in for the next decade.  Jon Runyan played 160 offensive snaps last year, and while he did look promising when pressed into duty he was quite clearly OL7 on the depth chart.  Simon Stepaniak probably would have gone higher had he not torn his ACL his final year at Indiana, but the reality is that he didn't play a single snap in 2020.  We hope he'll be ready to go and able to take one of the starting OGs spots.  Is it deeper than the OTs spots?  I think that goes without saying, but I wouldn't argue that we're deep there.

Honestly, I think he got the nod over some of the younger players simply due to experience. 

Look, we have the pieces in place at OG that will certainly develop quickly as evidence has shown and barring severe injury of course. We're all but forced to draft at least one Tackle going into this year so drafting another Guard wouldn't make much sense, especially if it were in the first 3 rounds.

I disagree with you both about Lucas Patrick.  Remember, the opening day line-up included Patrick and Taylor at guard and Jenkins at RT.  He absolutely earned his PT and starting spot in 2020.  As far as his long term future, 2021 is the last year of his contract.  He is also 28.  Depending on the amount of his contract, he may not be back.  Why pay FA money for Patrick if you have rookie money on Runyan?

• Like 1