Bills re-sign LB Matt Milano (4 years, $44M, $24M gtd)

RaidersAreOne

20 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

ehh not thrilled about this if they dont fix the dline because of it. Will like to see the structure of the deal before I can like or dislike this move. Edmunds is going to need to get paid and paying 2 4-3 LBs isnt ideal.

This shouldn’t hurt us at all this year.

I hope there is an out after 2 years, either that or the cap increases by leaps and bounds.

Those totals only come out to about 38.5 mil.

You think the difference are the roster/workout bonuses and incentives?

Edited by Maxmw22

5 minutes ago, Maxmw22 said:

I hope there is an out after 2 years, either that or the cap increases by leaps and bounds.

Yeah I imagine it is more like up to 44 million. Would need to see the breakdown some more but I’m guessing the 24 million guaranteed is almost completely paid out after two years

Super happy we found a way to keep him. Our defense is so much better when he's playing.

I don't see how you can mad about this at all, especially after seeing the contract structure. He took a friendly deal to stay with us, which I respect immensely. 

Let's hope he can stay healthy, always been the issue with Matt. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Maxmw22 said:

New TV deals mean the cap is going to explode soon. EZ deal to make for both sides, no brainer decision.

Milano is at a weak position on Defense, people want to say this was a steal but in all honesty I do not see it as a steal, we just assume the media saying him seeking 12-14 mil and settling for the bills 11 however he looked at the market and realized no team was going to over pay for him to go to a new system. I like the guarantee aspect of it and hope that 2021 cap isnt a huge hit as this is where it can be tricky on adding new players to the team. With the signing bonus as a team may be able to flex on that more then we can if we have it locked in. If its only 7 mil signing bonus and Milano counts against 7 mil of the new cap I am good with it. People need to realize he has only played 1 full season since being drafted he has missed a total of 9 games in the last 3 years with several different injuries, so teams may not be willing to offer what media was projecting. Its not only paying him in hopes he stays healthy but its also the fact your taking away from the issue at hand which is a nonexisting dline that pressures the qb. Our defense had to endure a 35% blitz of 5+ men because they were incapable of getting to the qb without the extra man. In the playoffs we saw the bills hit 50-60% in multiple games in which Colts and Chiefs took advantage of. So it led to the bills not only playing the nickel majority of the year but also forcing LB or S/CB from their spot to get to the passer in which we got picked apart. Milano may be solid in coverage but when you plan on having him rush the qb because the front 4 are in capable of doing so is a concern as he is playing out of position and allowing TE and Rbs to peal off yards underneath cause the LB isnt in coverage to cover them. If Beane goes in and solidifies the dline in free agency then I am all for this move but if he is incapable of doing that because he signed milano that is where I am not a fan of this move. We will see next week if beane is able to land a guy like Lawson then I cant be mad at this signing.

47 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

however he looked at the market and realized no team was going to over pay for him to go to a new system.

Are you saying you know this or just believe this? Seems like conjecture at best.

Its already been reported the Browns, Washington and New England were interested in Milano if he hit the market. When the guys break down his market value it’s based of similar contracts other teams have given to players in FA of a similar caliber.

A base salary of 7 million and change in 21’ is not going to prevent the Bills from addressing DE if that’s what they want to do in free agency. A big issue with the pass rush is also the teams inability to stop the run and force teams into 2nd and long and 3rd and long situations. Milano is light years ahead of Edmunds as a run defender and losing him would have made that part of the defense even worse.