Bills re-sign LB Matt Milano (4 years, $44M, $24M gtd)

RaidersAreOne

10 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

Are you saying you know this or just believe this? Seems like conjecture at best.

Its already been reported the Browns, Washington and New England were interested in Milano if he hit the market. When the guys break down his market value it’s based of similar contracts other teams have given to players in FA of a similar caliber.

A base salary of 7 million and change in 21’ is not going to prevent the Bills from addressing DE if that’s what they want to do in free agency. A big issue with the pass rush is also the teams inability to stop the run and force teams into 2nd and long and 3rd and long situations. Milano is light years ahead of Edmunds as a run defender and losing him would have made that part of the defense even worse.

I am saying that his agent did the research like all agents do and knew the contracts that they were being offered to them isnt as a big of value worth moving on from Buffalo. Media may have amped up his value to 12-14 mil and teams probably thought otherwise when they spoke to his agent. These agents and teams talk to each other to gauge his market and know what is going to be offered and I am sure the agent is telling teams this is what Bills have on the table whats your best and final offer and they couldnt come up with a number to blow him away to move on from Buffalo. Players know when the legal tampering period starts they can agree on a deal but in reality these guys talk usually around combine time. So imo Beane had a deadline for that deal to be accepted or not, before free agency started so he has time to focus on the players he needs to add and if Milano wouldn't accept it by the deadline he then has an idea of who needs to be called on day 1 of legal tampering to replace him.

While I agree a base salary of 7 mil this year isnt going to hurt their chances of fixing the dline I just hope Beane's mentality wasn't we re-sign him or fix the dline. We will see next week how it goes. I am still weary that Addison and Lee Smith are still on the roster so I am hoping this changes in the next couple of days. I know both have roster bonuses that turn in to guarantees on the 21 so I assume that this has to be figured out before then or they plan to keep both.  FYI I am not arguing Milano's capability on the field my huge issue is whether he is going to stay healthy or not and based on his history he will likely miss more time. He is just an injury prone player and I hope the bills take that in to consideration come draft day so they have a respectable back up to replace him when he does miss time. It will also give them an opportunity to groom him to be their future guy too. 

11 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

Well if 5.3 mil is base salary and he signed 7 mil signing bonus. Then it will be a 7 mil cap hit this year that means next year his cap is going to be over 14 mil then drop back down in years 3 and 4 which allow the bills to move on from him if they choose to and pay edmunds without them having to pay a ton for both at the same time. I can definitely get around to this idea. The one thing I do not love is if he gets injured long term before year 3 then 9.25 mil is guaranteed so cutting him will have a bigger dead cap then just the 2.5 mil that is remaining in 2023 if they elect to do so.

2 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

Well if 5.3 mil is base salary and he signed 7 mil signing bonus. Then it will be a 7 mil cap hit this year that means next year his cap is going to be over 14 mil then drop back down in years 3 and 4 which allow the bills to move on from him if they choose to and pay edmunds without them having to pay a ton for both at the same time. I can definitely get around to this idea. The one thing I do not love is if he gets injured long term before year 3 then 9.25 mil is guaranteed so cutting him will have a bigger dead cap then just the 2.5 mil that is remaining in 2023 if they elect to do so.

I think the injury thing is becoming over blown. It’s been an issue, but it’s also been random ones and not the same thing occurring over and over again. 

He missed one game in 17 and one in 19 because of hamstrings. Pretty routine.

He missed 3 in 2018 with a broken fibula and then 6 this past season because of a pectoral. 

if it was the same injury over and over or concussions like Morse has had, I’d be a lot more worried.

3 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

I think the injury thing is becoming over blown. It’s been an issue, but it’s also been random ones and not the same thing occurring over and over again. 

He missed one game in 17 and one in 19 because of hamstrings. Pretty routine.

He missed 3 in 2018 with a broken fibula and then 6 this past season because of a pectoral. 

if it was the same injury over and over or concussions like Morse has had, I’d be a lot more worried.

I think it is just worrisome that he is constantly injured with multiple issues he just is one of those guys who wont be consistent because of injury concerns. 

The good thing is the deal will allow them to move on from him if it keeps adding up but we are committed to him at least through 2022 season. I didnt want to pay him 11-12 mil a year and it seems like they arent so I am more understanding of the deal with a cap hit at 8 this year and 10 next year. If he isnt injured they could move on from him in 2023 offseason and remove the remaining 2 years of 11.75 mil each. If he shows up and stays healthy those 2 years then the bills have the flexibility of keeping him with minimal blow back, I am good with that at this point. Just need to find more cap room to continue to upgrade this teams as the dline still has yet to be touched and we already lost 3 of them to FA and cuts who have taken a good amount of snaps last year

This will be unpopular and probably ironic given I adopted Edmunds, but IMHO we needed Milano more than any other LBer. Yes, there have been past issues with injuries, but as noted, these have not been recurring ones. The simple truth is that our D was monumentally better with Milano on the field this past year. Matt can cover and defends the run solidly. I know Edmunds racked up the tackles last year, but when defending the run, his tackles largely looked like this: the RB finds a hole, accelerates through, and Edmunds steps in front...not DRIVES through the RB, but STEPS in front...resulting in 3-4 YAC and Edmunds on his ***, hugging the RB. Sure, it's logged as a tackle, but due to Edmunds lean build/high center of gravity, his power is very limited for a 6'5" guy. I can't help but wonder if I would be more impressed with him if he were on the weakside instead? Milano delivers blows, limiting YAC in comparison to Edmunds. Overall Milano executes closer to the LOS. I'm thrilled we got him back and I guess really not all that concerned it might make it tougher to resign Edmunds. Now, if Edmunds can put the time in the gym to lower that center of gravity or is moved to the weakside, I'd be more interested in seeing him on the starting D.

• 2 years later...

I know this is an old post but wasn't sure where else to bring it up since its player specific. Anyways, I think it's hilarious the talk that has been going around about Milano being a "dirty player". Never once seen anything intentional from him that would even make him remotely relatable to deserve that title.

Hope he can heal up soon and return to form. After reading this old thread, looks like he will be on the last year of his contract next season so we may be able to get him extended for another year or 2 on prove-it deal coming back from injury if he doesn't play a full season next year.

• Like 1