Bears retain Santos

beardown3231

31 minutes ago, The_Romen said:

I believe that's a great deal, as long as he stays healthy. I'm a big fan of his.

Feel bad for Eddy.

Agreed. I'm comfortable with the risk to this deal. Pace made a great move imo. 

Maybe Eddy can put that leg to use punting. 

Anyone who thinks this is a stupid deal forgets what this team has been through at the position since Gould was let go.

I think it's a fine signing. Santos was amazing for us last year and the money/term doesn't seem to be anything outrageous

Edited by topwop1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

Anyone who thinks this is a stupid deal forgets what this team has been through at the position since Gould was let go.

I think it's a fine signing. Santos was amazing for us last year and the money/term doesn't seem to be anything outrageous

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/average/kicker/

He’s now the 2nd lowest paid kicker in terms of annual salary amongst kickers not on a rookie deal, coming off a season where he made 27 straight FGs and half the league or more would consider him an immediate upgrade to their status quo. To get this deal, especially with only $4.5M guaranteed, a week before FA starts is a really strong signing IMO.

But, naturally, the pundits and internet know it alls (read: whatever they call Rotoworld now and PFF) hate it. If NE makes this signing its “a shrewd personnel move,” but since it’s Pace and the Bears it “could quickly become an albatross.” 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

I just hope he continues to kick well. He was great last season but had several tumultuous years before that.

I feel the same way.  This is a great deal, and I'm glad he was resigned, but it takes more than 1 good year to convince me that he's a long term solution.

That said though, he accomplished more last season than any kicker in Bears history, and he should be rewarded for it. Plus he took a very reasonable contract to counteract our reluctance as well.  The contract is a good even balance, IMO.

If he plays well, then he still gets paid and the Bears got a hell of deal.  If he bombs next year then he loses out on alot of future money and the Bears can cut him with minimal dead cap.

Since 1920, Santos had the highest FG% of any Bears' kicker in history in a single season with at least 25 made attempts.

The entire list:

T3p7Onr.png

• Like 2