Should Flacco be finished as a starting QB?

patriotsheatyan

Should Flacco be finished as a starting QB?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Should Flacco be finished as a starting QB after this year?

• Yes
    • No, he's fine
    • None of these problems are his fault!
    • He should get one more chance?

Absolutely should. He hasn't always been this bad, but his peak and how long that peak happened isn't high enough to be loyal to him. They obviously can't cut him because of the cap, but they can still look for their QB of the future and do some semblance of a rebuild instead of wasting 2018 and 2019 on him. 

Flacco's skid reminds me of Kaepernick to a degree. It was strange to see the dropoff all of a sudden, as it seemed like both players should have been climbing in terms of potential, not sinking.

I don't like the way Baltimore runs their offense though to be honest. They don't do Flacco a lot of favors.

There used to be a time when Flacco was a slightly above average QB who would go lights out in clutch situations. He's sort of become a parody of himself where he is a solidly below average QB who will play like he's the best to ever lace them up in a few big games. 

wouldn't say that he's done but he's definitely on the decline and if i was b'more i'd be looking to start transitioning soon - flacco strikes me as the kind of "football smart" guy you'd have who'd be all okay with mentoring for a year or two while also starting

He'll be the starting QB until the 2019 season at the very least, regardless of how poor the offense is.

There's no doubt the OL has been hit hard by injuries, he's surrounded by mediocre skill position talent outside of maybe Maclin and that the OC is horrible, but Flacco also contributes to that with poor throws and even poorer decision making at times.  He's not a QB to be relied upon to help the franchise have a consistent, winning season and that is only going to get worse as he ages - he's 32 now, and while playing until 36 or even 40 might seem like the new normal, its not.  That only applies to the elite QBs, which is something that Joe is not.

5 minutes ago, drd23 said:

He'll be the starting QB until the 2019 season at the very least, regardless of how poor the offense is.

There's no doubt the OL has been hit hard by injuries, he's surrounded by mediocre skill position talent outside of maybe Maclin and that the OC is horrible, but Flacco also contributes to that with poor throws and even poorer decision making at times.  He's not a QB to be relied upon to help the franchise have a consistent, winning season and that is only going to get worse as he ages - he's 32 now, and while playing until 36 or even 40 might seem like the new normal, its not.  That only applies to the elite QBs, which is something that Joe is not.

Then how did Flacco beat Tom Brady and the Patriots in those AFC title game duels?

5 minutes ago, Championshiporbust said:

Then how did Flacco beat Tom Brady and the Patriots in those AFC title game duels?

Ray Lewis blood magic sacrifices were somehow more powerful than Bellicheck's blood sacrifices that day.

3 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Flacco's skid reminds me of Kaepernick to a degree. It was strange to see the dropoff all of a sudden, as it seemed like both players should have been climbing in terms of potential, not sinking.

I don't like the way Baltimore runs their offense though to be honest. They don't do Flacco a lot of favors.

Yeah both players seem to have suffered a power outage. I blame Entergy New Orleans.

2 hours ago, Championshiporbust said:

Wasn't it the defense as well? I've been thinking of this for years. 

Meh the defense played well but they gave up 35 points at denver and 29ish in the superbowl. 

Joe was definitely the main reason we won in New England though. 

3 hours ago, Championshiporbust said:

Wasn't it the defense as well? I've been thinking of this for years. 

Joe played really well against the Patriots. Most would point to the game where he completed 3 passes (also neglecting he had to stand up on the plane ride home after the last game because he couldn't sit because of his hip).

For some reason, Flacco remains an enigma to 90% of the people who follow football. Some just like to hate on the guy and his achievements for no apparent reason.

The guy has always fluctuated in term of performance, and his most consistent achievement is being inconsistent. Unlike other quarterbacks in his bracket (Flacco sometimes a top 10 QB, sometimes out of the top 20) he has the ability to turn on the light and elevate his play at the right time (playoff, important games etc). For the most part, Flacco has done a lot/enough with serviceable players, never in their prime but in a role where they could do the job. Supported by a at least decent oline and running game, he has done more than other QB’s in the same situation. His Kubiak season is the one and only season where we saw him utilized in a way that makes sense. It looked natural to him.

With the ACL/MCL injury, back injury and other factors like a bad oline (they had 1 really good game which might skew the PP stats) and a horrendous receiving corps, he looks bad and some is on his shoulders too.

Although it never works that way, and receivers on other teams have drops too, in a perfect world, Flacco throws two deep passes (that doesn’t bounces of the wide receivers hands and end up as interceptions) Ben Watson holds onto the football for at TD and Chris Matthews doesn’t stumble over his own feet instead of catching a perfectly placed ball. (there where other drops as well, but those hurt.

Imo Flacco can still get it done, under the right circumstances which him and most other QB’s needs – at this point in his career, he might need a little bit more than in the past + playcalling which suits his strengths. Also, I really doubt Flacco is the one who designs and decides to call a play twice in a row to a tight end on a 2-3 yards out route in the end zone. Marty Mornhinweg has been less than adequate.

Archived