Roster Moves

Louis Friend

29 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

It is unlikely that he's going to be traded but I do wonder how this could impact his tradability if someone down in Texas... say.. maybe a small town near Austin... had a need at QB and was interested in making a move. With the Lions in the process of a rebuild, adding future draft capital could be beneficial assuming the price is right. 

There is no way for the Lions to trade Goff now. They can’t afford to eat another $20 million in dead money this season, it would just be too difficult to navigate. At that point, they basically wouldn’t be able to afford a replacement for Goff and would be stuck rolling out what they have now and/or a rookie. 

1 hour ago, Louis Friend said:

Lions restructured Jared Goffs contract converting $20 million of his salary due this year into a signing bonus over the next 4 seasons. This saves the Lions $15 million this season, making his cap hit around $10 million in 2021. 

Good news is it reduces the cap significantly this year while making it harder to cut/trade him in the future if he isnt the guy.  I believe the staff is all in on Goff and he will be here for a few years unless he is just dreadful.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Good news is it reduces the cap significantly this year while making it harder to cut/trade him in the future if he isnt the guy.  I believe the staff is all in on Goff and he will be here for a few years unless he is just dreadful.  

Or makes lewd comments about Campbell's wife

1 hour ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Absolutely hate this move to the point I’m now a bit concerned about this front office going foward.  Why do we need extra cap this year ? For what?  F’n ridiculous.  Now they’ve stolen cap room from the future when it actually matters.  This a a true lose/lose move.  Goff isn’t the long term answer and we’re stuck paying him extra $ year after year further making him un tradable or even cutable.  Goff pans out and we stick with him for the long haul.  Well now we’re still paying him more $ taking away cap space that could be used to further surround him with talent......AND ALL FOR WHAT??????  To add a couple extra bums for this rebuild year.  

1 hour ago, BigC421/ said:

Absolutely hate this move to the point I’m now a bit concerned about this front office going foward.  Why do we need extra cap this year ? For what?  F’n ridiculous.  Now they’ve stolen cap room from the future when it actually matters.  This a a true lose/lose move.  Goff isn’t the long term answer and we’re stuck paying him extra $ year after year further making him un tradable or even cutable.  Goff pans out and we stick with him for the long haul.  Well now we’re still paying him more $ taking away cap space that could be used to further surround him with talent......AND ALL FOR WHAT??????  To add a couple extra bums for this rebuild year.  

We did it because the cap decreased this year and we are butted up against it.  This extends the bonus somewhat into the next couple of years but it wont be a significant portion.  If Goff works out, great, if not we still would have the ability to move on from him.  We need bodies, and we need to be able to sign our picks. We need cap for that.  If he doesnt work out after two years, he still can be cut with only $10M in dead money and a 20M savings.  And that total cap hit is up $5M a year, which although that sucks, the cap is likely to shoot up after the new TV deal, and he still will be making less than the average starting QB in the league. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sllim Pickens said:

We did it because the cap decreased this year and we are butted up against it.  This extends the bonus somewhat into the next couple of years but it wont be a significant portion.  If Goff works out, great, if not we still would have the ability to move on from him.  We need bodies, and we need to be able to sign our picks. We need cap for that.  If he doesnt work out after two years, he still can be cut with only $10M in dead money and a 20M savings.  And that total cap hit is up $5M a year, which although that sucks, the cap is likely to shoot up after the new TV deal, and he still will be making less than the average starting QB in the league. 

This is basically everything that I wrote in a draft format but didn't hit "submit reply". Well said. 

56 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Yeah I understand why they did it.  It’s just a terribly short sighted bad decision that will likely pay no dividends this season and almost certainly cost us a quality player in the future when we may actually be competitive.

This also shows the bad sign that they are more likely to be committed to Goff long term.  Even the inherent cap advantages that come with drafting a young qb will be further negated by this move.  

1 minute ago, BigC421/ said:

Yeah I understand why they did it.  It’s just a terribly short sighted bad decision that will likely pay no dividends this season and almost certainly cost us a quality player in the future when we may actually be competitive.

This also shows the bad sign that they are more likely to be committed to Goff long term.  Even the inherent cap advantages that come with drafting a young qb will be further negated by this move.  

Thats short sited.  If the cap doesn't increase, we will have 48M next year, 91M in 2023 and 192M available in 2024.  I think we will be just fine.  We literally have no starter caliber player at 4 or 5 positions on defense and two on offense, with WR being iffy.  I have no problem with them spending a little to fill those holes.  Especially if they keep doing short term contracts.  Your freak out about future cap space is extremely premature.  If he works out, it is a great deal.  If he doesn't it might hurt a little but we wont be cap strapped at that point.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, BigC421/ said:

i disagree with you, Lions need Goff for at least two years. I heard people talking about guys like Tyrod Taylor...or worse a rookie that isnt even top 3 at the position. That is worst case scenario. So not sure what you want, but if its a rookie starter...maybe one team maybe two...do that a year...and they usually suck...at least history proves that. Now we can sign or make a trade and get a LB/S/CB then the draft will be better...ONLY 5 picks....

Edited by NFL_Fan
  • Like 2

Goff’s not a 30 mil a year quarterback.  It’s hard enough to win in this league when your paying an elite QB ( obviously those guys are making over 30 now, but it’s still to much) top $ let alone doing it with an average qb.  This isn’t what you do in a rebuild.  The ceiling just got capped.  This feels like we are being set up to become the Vikings or what the Rams were last year and that’s only IF they nail a ton of good draft picks and make solid FA signings.  

13 minutes ago, NFL_Fan said:

i disagree with you, Lions need Goff for at least two years. I heard people talking about guys like Tyrod Taylor...or worse a rookie that isnt even top 3 at the position. That is worst case scenario. So not sure what you want, but if its a rookie starter...maybe one team maybe two...do that a year...and they usually suck...at least history proves that. Now we can sign or make a trade and get a LB/S/CB then the draft will be better...ONLY 5 picks....

You seem primarily concerned with this season IE immediate results.  That is the absolute least of my concerns.  Once you have a solid average to above average roster it becomes quite the task to obtain a franchise qb.

4 minutes ago, BigC421/ said:

Goff’s not a 30 mil a year quarterback.  It’s hard enough to win in this league when your paying an elite QB ( obviously those guys are making over 30 now, but it’s still to much) top $ let alone doing it with an average qb.  This isn’t what you do in a rebuild.  The ceiling just got capped.  This feels like we are being set up to become the Vikings or what the Rams were last year and that’s only IF they nail a ton of good draft picks and make solid FA signings.  

Buddy, it’s only $5M a year increase. That’s not going to break anything and not going to hinder us from signing a good player. It was either restructure him or be forced to restructure someone else because as of right now, we’re above the cap and don’t even have the money to sign draft picks let alone any needed mid season transactions. This was the only option. He’s our QB. He’s who the FO and coaching staff is banking on leading us to the next level whether you like him or not. We can now sign our draft picks and some other cheap role players so we have a full roster. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, HashtagFTW said:

Buddy, it’s only $5M a year increase. That’s not going to break anything and not going to hinder us from signing a good player. It was either restructure him or be forced to restructure someone else because as of right now, we’re above the cap and don’t even have the money to sign draft picks let alone any needed mid season transactions. This was the only option. He’s our QB. He’s who the FO and coaching staff is banking on leading us to the next level whether you like him or not. We can now sign our draft picks and some other cheap role players so we have a full roster. 

Mostly agree with the 1st half of your post in a vacuum.  It’s the end that has me disappointed.  Of course I’ll still support the team and overall I’ve been a fan of the FO and coaching staff assembled from top to bottom.  Although DC is a bit of a wild card as a head coach he has at least for now surrounded himself with a great staff.  But...this Goff in the room was always the big question after the Stafford trade and that unknown made it more difficult to evaluate the trade.  It’s still a very favorable trade IMO but there were other good offers on the table and hitching your wagon to Goff for likely the next 4 years makes the long term upside of this team’s potential significantly deflated.

Don’t be surprised if Holmes starts swapping out a couple of those 1st for a stud or 2. I’m half kidding but I could see this happening.  3 1st and some for Watt and Fitzpatrick after they collapse and hit restart?  

35 minutes ago, BigC421/ said:

Mostly agree with the 1st half of your post in a vacuum.  It’s the end that has me disappointed.  Of course I’ll still support the team and overall I’ve been a fan of the FO and coaching staff assembled from top to bottom.  Although DC is a bit of a wild card as a head coach he has at least for now surrounded himself with a great staff.  But...this Goff in the room was always the big question after the Stafford trade and that unknown made it more difficult to evaluate the trade.  It’s still a very favorable trade IMO but there were other good offers on the table and hitching your wagon to Goff for likely the next 4 years makes the long term upside of this team’s potential significantly deflated.

Don’t be surprised if Holmes starts swapping out a couple of those 1st for a stud or 2. I’m half kidding but I could see this happening.  3 1st and some for Watt and Fitzpatrick after they collapse and hit restart?  

If it happens, it won’t be this year. We still don’t have the cap for it 

1 hour ago, BigC421/ said:

Goff led the Rams to 42 regular season wins and a Super Bowl appearance over the last four years. And he did that as a young QB who hadn't yet reached his prime age. If your ceiling is being a Super Bowl contender every year because you have the next Mahomes or Brady, yeah, you're probably not getting there. But if your desire is to consistently be a playoff team, yeah, Goff has proven he can lead a team to that. And let's be honest, the odds of any team finding the next Mahomes or Brady aren't good.

Edited by jrry32
  • Like 1