Free Agency on a budget targets

AZBearsFan

Shocked less than a week out from FA we don’t have a targets thread yet...

QB trade or not, we’re not gonna be buying that Johnnie Walker Blue this offseason. Here are some guys I like that I think we’d probably be able to add at pretty low numbers who could fill roles for us:

RB Matt Breida

RB Tevin Coleman

RB Devontae Booker

WR Keelan Cole

WR Kendrick Bourne

WR Dede Westbrook

TE Jake Butt (hasn’t been healthy at all as a pro - just always a fan and would take a flyer. Would need to be in addition to another TE add of consequence given his injury history)

LB Kevin Pierre-Louis

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I am not sure what you can do until you have some clarity at QB.

How much you have to spend and where you spend it will be impacted greatly by who is playing QB.

If it is Mariota... you better not be budget spending on offense.

Mariota would be such a complete miss. He’s basically the same exact player as Mitch, except he’d cost draft capital and more in salary. Their career comp %, INT %, TD/INT ratio and QB rating are all basically the same. The Raiders thinking he’s got significant trade value after he was hardly sought after last year on the back of being adequate in a single game last year is crazy to me. I’d rather we trade for Heinicke to be honest.

That aside, whether it’s Mariota, Wilson or anything in between we’re still not gonna be able to go top shelf in FA. I was looking more at ideas where we can get value cost-wise relative to potential. I think that guys like those I mentioned might get $3-5M on short deals in the pre-COVID expected FA market but might have to settle for something close to the minimum given where most teams are at financially and those guys who will be on the market who wouldn’t be otherwise due to the cap reduction. RB I think will be a harder sell for us to a vet with Monty and Cohen already locked into roles but I could see a FA WR looking at our depth chart and seeing a top 3 spot open with the current roster makeup and a solid opportunity to set themselves up for next offseason with a strong showing. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Dede Westbrook

I wouldn't mind this as a back-up to Cohen.

Aaron Jones would be a great addition in this scheme but not at his price, which sucks.

Demarcus Robinson would be a nice pickup since we don't know what Ridley is yet.

8 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Mariota would be such a complete miss. He’s basically the same exact player as Mitch, except he’d cost draft capital and more in salary. Their career comp %, INT %, TD/INT ratio and QB rating are all basically the same. The Raiders thinking he’s got significant trade value after he was hardly sought after last year on the back of being adequate in a single game last year is crazy to me. I’d rather we trade for Heinicke to be honest.

That aside, whether it’s Mariota, Wilson or anything in between we’re still not gonna be able to go top shelf in FA. I was looking more at ideas where we can get value cost-wise relative to potential. I think that guys like those I mentioned might get $3-5M on short deals in the pre-COVID expected FA market but might have to settle for something close to the minimum given where most teams are at financially and those guys who will be on the market who wouldn’t be otherwise due to the cap reduction. RB I think will be a harder sell for us to a vet with Monty and Cohen already locked into roles but I could see a FA WR looking at our depth chart and seeing a top 3 spot open with the current roster makeup and a solid opportunity to set themselves up for next offseason with a strong showing. 

If we trade for Wilson we will have cap space and likely starting needs if we deal players along with him. We would also lack draft capital.

It could completely change our free agency needs.

If we bring in a Mariota level QB, we likely are still not spending big money, but we would have to improve the offensive talent/depth to carry him.

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

If we trade for Wilson we will have cap space and likely starting needs if we deal players along with him. We would also lack draft capital.

It could completely change our free agency needs.

Hence FA on a budget. The needs are what they are and I suspect no matter what route we go with QB (unless it’s Minshew or Darnold) we’re going to be approaching it looking at lower tier options. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I don’t expect that that can happen in any way without a huge contract. Half the league needs a starting LT upgrade. 

I'd rather sign Rieff and plug all the other holes with draft picks and cheap FA/UDFA...

31 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I don’t expect that that can happen in any way without a huge contract. Half the league needs a starting LT upgrade. 

You won't get a great one, but there are a lot of middle tier guys coming on market this season and perhaps some RTs that can play LT.

The level of supply is rare due to Covid lowered cap.

• Like 1

This is a year in which a really good GM can remake a team.

Rare opportunity.

It's like the expansion year with Jacksonville and Carolina when NFL let them pick from a wide pool of middle tier players and they both did a good job of it.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

You won't get a great one, but there are a lot of middle tier guys coming on market this season and perhaps some RTs that can play LT.

The level of supply is rare due to Covid lowered cap.

I guess the difference between you and I is that I think Leno is a guy who himself falls into that middle tier, and it doesn’t seem that you do. I’d certainly be on board with replacing Leno with a comparable talent at half the price but I’m not convinced we’ll be able to do that. 

59 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

I'd rather sign Rieff and plug all the other holes with draft picks and cheap FA/UDFA...

If you’re Reiff and looking to take a 1-year deal or at least a 2021-reduced salary aren’t you looking elsewhere before Chicago though? Gotta think several other places (like KC for instance) would be far more appealing for him. 

21 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

If you’re Reiff and looking to take a 1-year deal or at least a 2021-reduced salary aren’t you looking elsewhere before Chicago though? Gotta think several other places (like KC for instance) would be far more appealing for him. 

Hard to say. Lots of variables involved. I'm not sure that KC has a lot of cap space, either. And...who's the Bears quarterback gonna be? 

27 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I guess the difference between you and I is that I think Leno is a guy who himself falls into that middle tier, and it doesn’t seem that you do. I’d certainly be on board with replacing Leno with a comparable talent at half the price but I’m not convinced we’ll be able to do that. 

Leno has some okay games, but if you watch him close he strings together a number of plays that are inexcusably bad.   He is a lone play killer on so many occasions.

He was better 3-5 years ago.   Last couple of years - yuck.   He is a big reason we can't run the football.  He can move no one by himself.    

I absolutely can't stand that he ends up on the ground on a large percentage of his snaps.

And its not like he is just getting whipped by a bigger, better athlete which I am pretty forgiving of.   

He just dives on the ground for no good reason or flat misses or makes a weak block or makes bad steps or poor aiming point again and again.   I am done with him.   

At least Massie tries.    

• Like 3