Last Pre FA Mock

Bobby816

Resign (notable)

Marcus Maye (S): We get a deal done here

Brian Poole (CB): Great slot CB, cant let him go.

Neville Hewitt (LB): LBs are valuable in a Saleh D. Hewitt is underrated IMO.

Pat Elflein (IOL): I know some don't like him, but I do. if nothing else he's depth at G and C and wont cost a ton.

Free Agency (notable)

Joe Thuney (OG): Here's our biggest splash in FA. Makes the left side of our OL elite.

Corey Davis (WR): This the guy I want at WR for us in FA. I think he's just getting started. Plays quite a bit like Mims tbh, and that's a good thing. A starting WR group of Davis, Mims, Crowder going into the draft is an upgrade.

Carl Lawson (DE): Another guy I think that's just getting started. I think under Saleh and with our IDL... he can be a regular 10 sacks guy.

Gerald Everett (TE): Herndon cant be relied on after this last year. So we need to bring someone in. Everett has talent. Let him and Herndon battle it out for snaps in a system that likes using the TE. Very similar players.

Jason Verrett (CB): I know a lot have us going Sherman in FA, but I think he wants to go to a contender, and we aren't that yet. Verrett is a vet but younger. And had a good year under Saleh last year. He can start on the outside for us to give us a nice 1-3 CB group in Verrett, Hall and Poole.

Marlon Mack (RB): Mack coming off an injury will be cheap, so we aren't tied to him big time. He is still young and can do it all though. We cant go into the draft with Ty and Perine as our RBs. So someone has to be brought in.

CJ Beathard (QB): Vet QB to have in here that knows the system and wont cost much.

Kyle Juszczyk (FB): Yes we go back to using a FB. And KJ is a good one that knows the system.

Trades

Sam Darnold to WAS for their 2nd and 4th Rounders (51 and 124)

NFL Draft

1. Zach Wilson (QB/BYU): We start fresh with a new QB. He starts from Day 1 with us bc he fits the system and we did enough in FA and the rest of the draft to help him and not ruin him. He's not polished, so there will be rough patches. But we continue to help him each year on offense. Quick release like Rodgers with some Patty flair.

1. (from SEA) Alijah Vera-Tucker (OL/USC): Hey if we are going to invest in a young QB we have to protect him. AVT can pretty much play any position on the OL. So let him battle it out with Elf and Fant on the right side. Let the best man win. I think he can win the starting RG spot.

2. Gregory Rousseau (DE/Miami): Just continuing to get pass rushers. Him and Zuniga battle it out for the other DE spot opposite Lawson. Has top 10 pick talent. But sitting out and all hurt his draft stock. Quite frankly is a steal here.

2. (from WAS) Rondale Moore (WR/Purdue): Just an electric player. And we need those. Can do tons of things with the ball in his hands. Immediately is our return guy and just find ways to get him the ball on offense. Think of a rookie version of a Curtis Samuel here, just smaller.

3. Jabril Cox (LB/LSU): A LB here that fits a Saleh defense great. Can cover and tackle. Slides in as a starter right away and shines for us.

3. (from SEA) Kenneth Gainwell (RB/Memphis): Talented runner and receiver. Undersized but that's why we let him bulk up for maybe a year and use him more in the passing game initially. Mack is better suited "if healthy" to start right away for us. But Gainwell works his way in and takes on more and more snaps as the year goes by. Gainwell is our starter down the road as he gains weight hopefully. He reminds me a bit of Kamara.

4. Keith Taylor Jr. (CB/Washington): Big bodied outside CB that's a willing tackler. Fits this Saleh defense and adds depth for us at CB. Continuing to just create that pipeline in positions that need depth.

4. (from WAS) Seth Williams (WR/Auburn): Yes another WR. JD knows how not having depth last year hurt us. Williams is a bigger guy that wins with his body. Great for quick slants, red zone targets and back shoulder throws.

5. Talanoa Hufanga (S/USC): Can play both Safety spots and can do all aspects of the game. Violent player that loves contact and is getting better and better as a cover guy. S needs depth and he provides that.

5. (from NYG) Jonathan Cooper (DE/Ohio State): You can never have too many pass rushers. Reminds me of a poor mans Brandon Graham.

6. Josh Ball (OT/Marshall): Another gigantic human like Becton. Adding depth on the OL at the OT position. Maybe he develops over time into a starter.

7. Jose Borregales (K/Miami): K help to compete.

• Like 1

I must say you are are a complex and confusing individual. I say that with love so don’t take offense. You stubbornly argue about getting a high pick RB then do not. You don’t like LB’s yet select one before RB. You claim we should spend most of our allocations on O (at least 75% or more IIRC) but spend 5 if 12 draft picks on D and 2’if 8 on D for a total of about 65% on O.

As for the draft and FA, I’ll take that all day. Not sure if Rousseau will be there that late even though his game play dictates he should. Some team will take him mid first probably before 23. Not the biggest fan of Moore due to size. I see him more as a slot which I would prefer to wait until next year. I would rather a guy like St.Brown but I am nitpicking. At CB, I know little of Taylor but doesn’t he project more as a S due to speed limitations?  If Mukuamu or Melifonwu are gone, sure why not. I like that you addressed safety just in case Maye makes things difficult. He certainly can’t fill Maye’s shoes but at least we won’t be barren. We may even look for S in FA depending upon how contentious the situation is. I brought this up before with nary a response. Kyle at FB is great, but couldn’t Wesco fill that role? Saves $ and roster space.

All in all, well done sir. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, xrade said:

I must say you are are a complex and confusing individual. I say that with love so don’t take offense. You stubbornly argue about getting a high pick RB then do not. You don’t like LB’s yet select one before RB. You claim we should spend most of our allocations on O (at least 75% or more IIRC) but spend 5 if 12 draft picks on D and 2’if 8 on D for a total of about 65% on O.

As for the draft and FA, I’ll take that all day. Not sure if Rousseau will be there that late even though his game play dictates he should. Some team will take him mid first probably before 23. Not the biggest fan of Moore due to size. I see him more as a slot which I would prefer to wait until next year. I would rather a guy like St.Brown but I am nitpicking. At CB, I know little of Taylor but doesn’t he project more as a S due to speed limitations?  If Mukuamu or Melifonwu are gone, sure why not. I like that you addressed safety just in case Maye makes things difficult. He certainly can’t fill Maye’s shoes but at least we won’t be barren. We may even look for S in FA depending upon how contentious the situation is. I brought this up before with nary a response. Kyle at FB is great, but couldn’t Wesco fill that role? Saves $ and roster space.

All in all, well done sir. 

It’s Bc this is more of a what I think we will do mock. More so than what I want mock ;)

Its still a offseason that gives us pretty much 75% new starters on offense as I’ve said. 

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

It’s Bc this is more of a what I think we will do mock. More so than what I want mock ;)

Its still a offseason that gives us pretty much 75% new starters on offense as I’ve said. 

So you hate your own mock and have joined the dark side?

I guess I just expected you to address more O in the draft. If I would put out a mock, it would not look a lot different than this even though I would prefer a CB like Newsome at 34. I just don’t think it would happen.

I would like your thoughts on why you think Rousseau will slip to 34. It may be the first time I have seen him outside of round 1. 

6 minutes ago, xrade said:

So you hate your own mock and have joined the dark side?

I guess I just expected you to address more O in the draft. If I would put out a mock, it would not look a lot different than this even though I would prefer a CB like Newsome at 34. I just don’t think it would happen.

I would like your thoughts on why you think Rousseau will slip to 34. It may be the first time I have seen him outside of round 1. 

This is the weakest edge class in a very long time. So when teams are picking, I don't see them reaching much. There's just a lot of players that are just better at what they do than the edges this year. So I think overall edges just aren't going to be going high this year. And I have 3 edges ranked higher than him too (Paye, Phillips, Ojulari).

Rousseau is about as raw as it gets and with him sitting out 2020 it makes him even more of a question mark. As I said he could be an absolute steal at 34 bc he has top 5-10 pick talent. But its raw talent. He's a guy that just started playing defense a couple years ago, has very little technique and just overall smarts about the pass rusher position. But I feel with all the picks we have, he's worth it. Get the Saleh staff to coach him up and utilize that raw talent and get his mind as ready as has body.

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

Rousseau is about as raw as it gets and with him sitting out 2020 it makes him even more of a question mark

I 100% agree with your post except for one thing. EDGE is a position that is over drafted, like QB. Teams fall in love with the physical attributes and numbers and don’t dig deeper. It is one of the reasons edge has one of the highest first round bust rates.  I guess I just expect a GM to fall into the trap in the first round.

- I would let Poole and Hewitt go: Poole because I think K'Waun Williams is a better fit for the new regime; Hewitt because I think he lacks the athleticism that is needed for the SF model defense. 

- While I do like that Darnold trade to Washington a lot, I think we need to keep Darnold as trade bait for a possible Watson/Wilson trade. Yes, I am still on this bandwagon and will only jump off once both Deshaun Watson and Russell Wilson have been traded elsewhere.  In the meantime, I think a package including Darnold AND Marcus Maye can lower the draft capital required in such a deal, which only helps us. I mean, the only reason we are concerned about dealing for a quarterback is because of what it would take to land him. Well, if we include Darnold and Maye into that deal, and also trade down from No. 2 for more draft capital, I think we could be able to have the best of both worlds...the veteran QB and enough draft picks to fill more holes. Don't get me wrong, I do like Marcus Maye. I just like the two QBs in question more, and I also think Ashtyn Davis can fill those free safety shoes. For strong safety, I think Jaquiski Tartt makes too much sense. Keanu Neal does as well. As the old adage says, you have to give to get. I would sacrifice Maye if it meant we could solve this QB issue.

- Love, love love Thuney, Davis and Lawson. Perfect fits for this team. I would probably go Will Fuller over Corey Davis if Watson is acquired, but now I am nit-picking. I would also add someone like Kendrick Bourne, while possibly releasing or trading Crowder. Depends on the cap.

- I understand the reasoning and the logic behind the Everett and Juszczyk moves, but I would not sign either player. In my opinion, there is untapped potential in both Herndon as an in-line tight end and Wesco as a hybrid, H-back or fullback. He was drafted as a fullback IIRC. I believe we have to perhaps bring in some competition but I would not pay top dollar for those two positions. I would rather bring in someone like Jordan Reed or Delanie Walker to enhance the tight end group, while still giving Herndon and Wesco every opportunity. 

- I have no issue with Verrett. He is a good player who could help us. But I also want Sherman. I really think having a true leader like him is important, even for this so-called non-contender. I would want to sign two of Sherman and Verrett/Witherspoon. With those two plus Tartt and Williams, that would really give us a lot of continuity for a defense that otherwise will be overhauled and revamped.

- You have convinced me on Marlon Mack, I think he would be a good fit. However, I really want to draft either Travis Etienne or Najee Harris. To me, that is critical. Then we can have a Mack and the Johnson/Perine combo. I would be more than happy with that RB group. Plus, Mack is probably going to be cheaper than Jamaal Williams. If not Mack, then maybe one of the SF rejects like McKinnon or Coleman?

- The part I hate the most about your otherwise very solid mock is the quarterback position. If we are drafting Zach Wilson and only bringing in CJ Beathard (who could not win games on a really good team, even knowing the system), I will be really pissed. That is not helping any. We are restarting the clock at QB and not learning from our past mistakes. It would be 2018 all over again...Darnold/McCown replaced by Wilson/Beathard. That is not what I want for this team. 

The rest of that roster deserves better than a raw rookie and a guy who should be no higher than third on any NFL depth chart.

8 minutes ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

- I would let Poole and Hewitt go: Poole because I think K'Waun Williams is a better fit for the new regime; Hewitt because I think he lacks the athleticism that is needed for the SF model defense. 

- While I do like that Darnold trade to Washington a lot, I think we need to keep Darnold as trade bait for a possible Watson/Wilson trade. Yes, I am still on this bandwagon and will only jump off once both Deshaun Watson and Russell Wilson have been traded elsewhere.  In the meantime, I think a package including Darnold AND Marcus Maye can lower the draft capital required in such a deal, which only helps us. I mean, the only reason we are concerned about dealing for a quarterback is because of what it would take to land him. Well, if we include Darnold and Maye into that deal, and also trade down from No. 2 for more draft capital, I think we could be able to have the best of both worlds...the veteran QB and enough draft picks to fill more holes. Don't get me wrong, I do like Marcus Maye. I just like the two QBs in question more, and I also think Ashtyn Davis can fill those free safety shoes. For strong safety, I think Jaquiski Tartt makes too much sense. Keanu Neal does as well. As the old adage says, you have to give to get. I would sacrifice Maye if it meant we could solve this QB issue.

- Love, love love Thuney, Davis and Lawson. Perfect fits for this team. I would probably go Will Fuller over Corey Davis if Watson is acquired, but now I am nit-picking. I would also add someone like Kendrick Bourne, while possibly releasing or trading Crowder. Depends on the cap.

- I understand the reasoning and the logic behind the Everett and Juszczyk moves, but I would not sign either player. In my opinion, there is untapped potential in both Herndon as an in-line tight end and Wesco as a hybrid, H-back or fullback. He was drafted as a fullback IIRC. I believe we have to perhaps bring in some competition but I would not pay top dollar for those two positions. I would rather bring in someone like Jordan Reed or Delanie Walker to enhance the tight end group, while still giving Herndon and Wesco every opportunity. 

- I have no issue with Verrett. He is a good player who could help us. But I also want Sherman. I really think having a true leader like him is important, even for this so-called non-contender. I would want to sign two of Sherman and Verrett/Witherspoon. With those two plus Tartt and Williams, that would really give us a lot of continuity for a defense that otherwise will be overhauled and revamped.

- You have convinced me on Marlon Mack, I think he would be a good fit. However, I really want to draft either Travis Etienne or Najee Harris. To me, that is critical. Then we can have a Mack and the Johnson/Perine combo. I would be more than happy with that RB group. Plus, Mack is probably going to be cheaper than Jamaal Williams. If not Mack, then maybe one of the SF rejects like McKinnon or Coleman?

- The part I hate the most about your otherwise very solid mock is the quarterback position. If we are drafting Zach Wilson and only bringing in CJ Beathard (who could not win games on a really good team, even knowing the system), I will be really pissed. That is not helping any. We are restarting the clock at QB and not learning from our past mistakes. It would be 2018 all over again...Darnold/McCown replaced by Wilson/Beathard. That is not what I want for this team. 

The rest of that roster deserves better than a raw rookie and a guy who should be no higher than third on any NFL depth chart.

But is this mock something you think JD will do?  Do you really think a RB in rounds one or two is something JD would do?  Do you think he would not draft a QB at 2?  As Bobby stated, this is not what he would do but what he thinks JD would do. 

25 minutes ago, xrade said:

But is this mock something you think JD will do?  Do you really think a RB in rounds one or two is something JD would do?  Do you think he would not draft a QB at 2?  As Bobby stated, this is not what he would do but what he thinks JD would do. 

Well, who cares what we think he will do? He will do what he will do sooner or later anyway. I am far more interested in knowing what people want for our downtrodden franchise, rather than what they think our GM will do.

But maybe that's just me.

We would be making a grave mistake (again) if we went with a Week 1 starting QB with the No. 2 pick, and ignoring the running back position for the most part. 

8 minutes ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

Well, who cares what we think he will do? He will do what he will do sooner or later anyway. I am far more interested in knowing what people want for our downtrodden franchise, rather than what they think our GM will do.

We would be making a grave mistake (again) if we went with a Week 1 starting QB with the No. 2 pick, and ignoring the running back position for the most part. 

I guess when I think “mock draft” it is more about what the individual thinks the team will do in FA and/or the draft even if it is contrary to his beliefs.  I find it interesting that mocks tend to a get a little more similar as the start of the NFL offseason begins as opposed to mocks in Jan and Feb.

In this particular mock, RB is hardly ignored with Mack and Gainwell. I would also like Sermon if available at that pick but I can understand that Gainwell may be more of a fit in this O.

And it certainly is not just you. For so long the Jets have drafted poorly, put players in a position to fail and blatantly ignored the obvious weaknesses. It is natural to think it will happen again. I just choose the believe in JD and coaching staff. Even if they do something contrary to my opinion, I will defer to their professional knowledge and forsake my limited knowledge. Unless they begin to Mac and gase it which is almost hard to do. How can any GM and coach suck that bad?  They have to really work at it.  What also gives me hope is that the Johnson bothers are allowing JD to run the team from an operational standpoint. They finally realized that they should not be involved as much in the coaching search and will have the HC report to the GM. They admitted their mistake and corrected it. A sign of growth. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

For me as the FA period and draft gets closer I like to make my mocks more realistic more so than what I want.

So from a  realistic standpoint, I don't see us splashing a ton of money at a guy like Aaron Jones at RB in FA. So I think we go more the quality guys that can start but aren't great route. Leaving the draft open to maybe getting a guy high. For me Mack coming off injury will be cheap, but is a starter. I just cant see us going into the draft with Ty and Perine as our RBs. That'd just be awful. If that were the case, then yes I'd spend a more valuable pick on Harris, Etienne or Williams. But with signing Mack that doesn't become a "huge" need. Keep in mind Gainwell is very talented. And I do think he in this mock starts for us down the road. So RB certainly isn't ignored.

In this mock we gain a vastly more talented offense. We have 2 very talented OGs starting for us in Thuney and AVT. Which in itself makes the run and passing game better. Add a whole new backfield with KY at FB and 2 new RBs in Mack and Gainwell. A more legit #1 WR in Davis who's still young and 2 very talented WRs as depth for the 4th and 5th WR spots in Moore and Williams. TE gets an upgrade with Everett from Griffin. Let the best man win there between Herndon and him.

All this for a new starting QB in Wilson. We'd have a top 10 if not top 5 OL in this offseason perhaps. A revamped backfield. 3 new WRs and TE help. This rookie QB would be going into a very good situation. And all these guys are young. Not 32yr old band aids for a year.