Patriots Resign Cam Newton - 1 year 14 mil

50 minutes ago, Crimmage said:

Mariota technically got 20 million to be a backup because of incentives. 

We need to see how much is guaranteed. If it is 7-9 then it's totally high end backup money. 

This makes sense if they want Lance, but BB isn't even showing up to see him throw today.. so who knows

Lance as the understudy to Newton is what I predicted they would do a couple months ago. The potential is there but there are so many other intriguing roads besides this one that I would explore.

Cam is a fun player to watch. Cam is a great character guy. Cam is a great mentor. Cam has a very strong work ethic. Why would you not want this guy as a stop gap option? The idea that he can't teach a young QB due to his play style is laughable. Players don't teach mechanics to other players... coaches do that. Mentoring young QBs is more about the playbook, work ethic, how to be a pro, understanding the game, understanding the locker room, etc etc. 

• Like 5

On 12/13/2020 at 11:55 PM, DoleINGout said:

Cam is the stop gap. If there is a FA quarterback signed that many would hope is a "stop gap" I think you'll be disappointed to know that Trubisky isn't going to be a one year rental.

On 12/13/2020 at 11:59 PM, DoleINGout said:

Cam? Tyrod Taylor? Jacoby Brisset? Ryan Fitzpatrick? Stop gap, one year guys. Yeah. Trubisky? That will be a 2-3 year investment at least.

Just now, Deadpulse said:

Cam is a fun player to watch. Cam is a great character guy. Cam is a great mentor. Cam has a very strong work ethic. Why would you not want this guy as a stop gap option? The idea that he can't teach a young QB due to his play style is laughable. Players don't teach mechanics to other players... coaches do that. Mentoring young QBs is more about the playbook, work ethic, how to be a pro, understanding the game, understanding the locker room, etc etc. 

Because maybe being mediocre is like Dante Alighieri's inferno for sports fans? I don't want it. Cam sucks but not enough to lose us 12-14 games in a season.

Btw, I agree with you on calling out this bs about young QBs need to be a back up first to learn from experienced QBs but I extend your thought: they learn absolutely nothing that they wouldn't learn anyways if they were any good and/or had the work ethic and the desire to be a perennial starter in the NFL.

This is an outdated talking point back when QBs would almost never start for a year or two, maybe even more. NFL changed. It's a QB driven league. Rules favors QBs. If you're any good you better be on the field and learn from your own mistakes and hopefully have an experienced QB on the bench and a good QB coach helping you there.

Now, if you stink you stink No even a junta of Brady, Manning and Montana can help you. Stid stinks so lets ride with him and get a top3 pick next year.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, LaFellSBXLIXMVP said:

Stid stinks so lets ride with him and get a top3 pick next year.

This is unrealistic. Bad teams are not bad due to lack of trying. If you're expectation was for the team to sit on their hands and not try to improve this off-season... well that just will never happen regardless of franchise. This team was ALWAYS going to address the QB spot this offseason because they had to. Bringing back Cam is as good as anything. They couldve broke the bank for Watson or Wilson but that wouldve crippled us long term which you obviously wouldnt want. Any other QB we brought in would have been around Cam level of win shares. Stid can't be the only QB on the roster... so it begs the question, what move did you want them to make?

I feel more grace than disappointment with Cam for going out there week after week working with what they gave him last season. To be frank, "unfair" would be an understatement for the circumstances he played under. You can't outline the struggles before you do that.

In retrospect, the team was 4-5 plays away from being a Wild Card team. I could only imagine how much a better supporting cast could have helped flip those plays in our favor.

Cam has shown the ability to understand what Bill and Josh want, and that's already enough in as it is. I think he still presents a few years of competent play. The question is, can they build enough around him before that window closes?

• Like 1

Just now, Starless said:

LMAO what did y'all think was gonna happen?

If anything, the fact that this is only a one-year deal signals that they're probably gonna make a move for a QB in the draft.

This is exactly what i was thinking, I am expecting them to try to reach for a QB, price being right of course.

1 hour ago, Deadpulse said:

How about because he was very bad last year, and there likely be cheaper options who play at a similar level?

4 minutes ago, ChazStandard said:

How about because he was very bad last year, and there likely be cheaper options who play at a similar level?

Who are learning the playbook and the lockerroom just like any rookie we bring in? Seems less ideal. You are also making a pretty big assumption that there is anyone who would take a one year deal at QB, let a lone one cheaper than this.