Jump to content

Patriots Resign Cam Newton - 1 year 14 mil


Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

Who are learning the playbook and the lockerroom just like any rookie we bring in? Seems less ideal. You are also making a pretty big assumption that there is anyone who would take a one year deal at QB, let a lone one cheaper than this. 

What difference does learning the playbook make? It's not like the team is going to be competing for Championship this year. And why does it have to be 1 year only? Fitzpatrick signed a 2/11 deal with the Dolphins last year. I wouldn't object to that. Dalton would be a serviceable placeholder, and signed a 1/3 for Dallas in 2020, 2/7 would be fine for a mentor/transitional starter role.

Without even going into the younger players with upside you could kick the tires on instead. Minshew will cost peanuts, then there's Trubisky. 

I would bring Kessler back as the 3rd QB as well (if knowing the playbook is important, he's already been with the team), he will cost nothing and is perfectly capable of leading the 31st ranked passing offense.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you're naming guys like Minshew and Kessler, then you're not really interested in the Pats being competitive this year. You just hate Cam irrationally. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ChazStandard said:

What difference does learning the playbook make? It's not like the team is going to be competing for Championship this year. And why does it have to be 1 year only? Fitzpatrick signed a 2/11 deal with the Dolphins last year. I wouldn't object to that. Dalton would be a serviceable placeholder, and signed a 1/3 for Dallas in 2020, 2/7 would be fine for a mentor/transitional starter role.

Without even going into the younger players with upside you could kick the tires on instead. Minshew will cost peanuts, then there's Trubisky. 

I would bring Kessler back as the 3rd QB as well (if knowing the playbook is important, he's already been with the team), he will cost nothing and is perfectly capable of leading the 31st ranked passing offense.

you seem to be really upset about the money but man, this team will probably have the lowest overall QB cap hit of any team in the league. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm trying to fully take in the signing, I'm not worried about the money aspect.. 8 Million isn't going to kill them if he ends up being a backup and I can understand wanting to have a guaranteed guy for the start of Free Agency. 

 

My question is.. does this mean they are 99% planning on drafting a kid to take over? and that they had 0 interest in the free agent class

 

It seems like a trade would be out of the question with Cam here, why sign Cam when you are going to trade for Minshew / Mariota / Jimmy G.. ESPECIALLY because if they just needed more time to make a deal they could have waited longer to complete a deal with Cam. They didn't need to sign him this early.  

 

It feels like the plan is draft Trey Lance and have Cam mentor him for a year .. because he really wouldn't be a great mentor for Mac Jones. No guarantee Lance will be there at 15.. unless this is the uncharacteristically aggressive action we always heard about. Trading up to grab Lance, I'm just really confused as to why Cam would be signed this early. 

Edited by Crimmage
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Starless said:

If you're naming guys like Minshew and Kessler, then you're not really interested in the Pats being competitive this year. You just hate Cam irrationally. 

Not sure why people like those fellas but I just want the team to not be mediocre. I bet those guys probably suck more efficiently than Cam so they're probably better options.

 

Run it back HAHAAHAH. f this dude.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I want to hate this move. But honestly, with an actual training camp, preseason and such if there's a legitimate competition I believe Stidham beats him out easily and it's a non-factor. Last year Bill grabbed his shiny new toy at the last second, handed him the job and we spent all season watching a broken down fullback toss balls into the dirt. Hopefully this isn't a repeat.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Crimmage said:

It seems like a trade would be out of the question with Cam here, why sign Cam when you are going to trade for Minshew / Mariota / Jimmy G.. ESPECIALLY because if they just needed more time to make a deal they could have waited longer to complete a deal with Cam. They didn't need to sign him this early.  

Gotta imagine they did their due diligence. They assessed the trade market and what it would take to bring in those guys that were potentially on the table and they went with the option of best value. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Even if you don't like Cam, it's hard to complain about that kind of deal. 

You can use him to help recruit offensive talent, add another QB if possible.. draft a QB, etc. and if he loses a battle in cap you can always cut him if he doesn't want to be a backup. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Crimmage said:

 

Even if you don't like Cam, it's hard to complain about that kind of deal. 

You can use him to help recruit offensive talent, add another QB if possible.. draft a QB, etc. and if he loses a battle in cap you can always cut him if he doesn't want to be a backup. 

Yea the "Waste of cap space" argument just got shot to pieces. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, jofos said:

Still a waste...

ah yes, opinion devoid of logic. It's ok to not like the man but let's not be hyperbolic. Just say you don't like him. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Disappointed, but I won’t be absolutely down trodden until the draft is over without a quarterback being drafted. Similar to last season, I’d rather crash and burn with a younger player and a fraction of a chance of them turning into something, than I would Cam playing us to 8-8 or a first round exit. 

If Cam’s the guy going into Week 1, without a rookie waiting in the wings, then it’ll be tough for me to be excited for the 21 team. 

Edited by Yin-Yang
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

ah yes, opinion devoid of logic. It's ok to not like the man but let's not be hyperbolic. Just say you don't like him. 

It has nothing to do with like or dislike. I saw enough last year to think that he has nothing to offer a NFL team. Cam was once a good player but he has nothing left.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...