Patriots Resign Cam Newton - 1 year 14 mil

For me personally this upcoming season is about hope more than results. I can happily take another 7-9/8-8 season if you have a future, but a full season of just Cam would be extremely disappointing. If they don't get an under ~28 year old QB who has potential to be here for the rest of BB's career then it's hard to get excited to watch this offense. You will have no idea if the WR/TE/etc are even progressing when you can't trust the person throwing them the ball.

I still believe Minshew is an option, he is only 24 and Cam could be used as a Taysom Hill type change of pace with him if BB really wants him involved. Minshew is capable of Ryan Tannehill level performance in the right system and you can win with him long term ( but I'm not looking to argue that point because I know many hate him as an option). I was sad at first but his deal is so cheap it's a no brainer to bring him back, even just for the PR of showing another player who wants to be here to attract free agents. 

I've told myself for awhile that the only reason why it would make sense to resign Cam is if he is being a mentor for a young player with a similar skillset. That it means BB and Josh really enjoyed the idea of an athletic quarterback and want the position to go in that direction. If that's the case.. who other than Trey Lance could they be targeting in the draft? (Probably Kellen Mond) I saw his pro day, he looks really impressive on some throws.. then wasn't the most accurate on others ( especially throwing to the right side of the field). 

For me Cam is the backup.. hell he can be here till he's 35 as the backup for all I care.. but I need a young QB to be the future, and they need to be on this roster opening day or you've wasted 2 seasons on the treadmill without trying to find the next guy

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, jofos said:

It has nothing to do with like or dislike. I saw enough last year to think that he has nothing to offer a NFL team. Cam was once a good player but he has nothing left.

Without Cam, that team doesn't win two games last season. I'm starting to think that's what some of you wanted...

1 hour ago, Nex_Gen said:

Without Cam, that team doesn't win two games last season. I'm starting to think that's what some of you wanted...

100%. 

Or rather, I’d rather 2-14 over 7-9 - at least at this stage with this team. With the opt outs, current cap space, and draft lining up the way it has, 2020 would’ve been the perfect time for that kind of season.

Edited by Yin-Yang

53 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

100%. 

Or rather, I’d rather 2-14 over 7-9 - at least at this stage with this team. With the opt outs, current cap space, and draft lining up the way it has, 2020 would’ve been the perfect time for that kind of season.

Agreed, but that ship has sailed.

12 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

LOT of middling to bad seasons ahead.

Exactly, that's why the Pats have to bite the bullet now and give up future assets in a trade to get a QB. What's the point of keeping them if your stuck, your words " bad seasons ahead." You have to at some point give up the assets to get a QB or pray you find a miracle in future drafts, which is highly unlikely if you are stuck in the 15 to 20 range year in and year out.

IMO this is the year to do this. Matter of this is the perfect time, you have 15th pick, you have teams in the top ten that will make a deal and you have 5 QBs to pick from. You also have a ton of cap space to off set the lose of draft capital with a crazy cap year.

I don't believe building a team and trying to find a QB after is the way go. I think it foolish and history bares that out. Also if you use that strategy you still end up having to use draft/money capital.  You have the two choices (now you have cap issues)over pay for a FA QB, ex Kirk Cousins or mortgage the future to trade up which will cost you much more  because now you put yourself in the 20 to 25 draft position.

Last, This is my major frustration with BB. I don't have faith in him when it come to the draft and question some of the (lack of)moves he's made concerning the roster.

TE  He had to know Gronk was out the door but had no TE to take his place. He didn't even draft one, no I don't consider Izzo.

WR  We have none and he's doesn't take one in a draft that's consider loaded. His response we were not in a position to draft one. The way the board fell crap.

Draft.  Going off "the way the board fell."  The next year he drafts two TEs and makes these crazy trades to get them. Dalton Keene really, he caught what 15 passes and wasn't a featured offensive player  at V Tech.  WR taken after, Tyler Johnson.

QB  The whole Brady mess. What the heck was he doing???  I not talking about letting him go. There was no plan after Jimmy G was traded. I can't believe he was blindsided the Brady left if he did IMO that's a problem.

Also sorry for my explosion yesterday. I'm am just so frustrated with BB.

Edited by m haynes

"Can't throw long, not mobile, but deadly accurate and smart."

Does that remind us of anyone?

With plenty of cap space and draft picks to find run-stuffers and targets, New England's fate comes down to finding an average or better QB.  If Belichick gets Mac Jones at #15 the Patriots walk into Super Bowl LVI.  Otherwise, their best outcome is one and done.

2 minutes ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

Does that remind us of anyone?

With plenty of cap space and draft picks to find run-stuffers and targets, New England's fate comes down to finding an average or better QB.  If Belichick gets Mac Jones at #15 the Patriots walk into Super Bowl LVI.  Otherwise, their best outcome is one and done.

Why roll the dice on getting Jones at 15? Why not just trade the pick to the Bills for Matt Barkley, since apparently those are the only traits a guy needs?

🥴  🥴  🥴  🥴

Why not just trade the pick to the Bills for Matt Barkley, since apparently those are the only traits a guy needs?

A fair question. 

My answer is that even if Matt Barkley weren't so injury prone and were as intelligent and accurate as Mac Jones the Bills might be disinclined to trade within their conference.

On 3/12/2021 at 12:33 PM, Starless said:

If you're naming guys like Minshew and Kessler, then you're not really interested in the Pats being competitive this year. You just hate Cam irrationally. 

Minshew is better than Cam

• Like 2

On 3/12/2021 at 5:33 PM, Starless said:

If you're naming guys like Minshew and Kessler, then you're not really interested in the Pats being competitive this year. You just hate Cam irrationally. 

I never expressed any hate for Cam at all, he was just supremely underwhelming last year and I'm not thrilled about watching that again. It was painful. That said, I already said in the main thread in NFL News that a cap hit of 4.9 is a lot different from 10+ and it's not as bad a deal as it originally looked.

I specifically mentioned Kessler as a third QB, because DP put a premium on knowing the system and Kessler has been here before. He also flashed enough he could be a decent back-up and/or emergency starter.

Minshew is different story, and people dismissing him do so unfairly. He is still only 24, has played his entire career on a very bad Jags team, and his career passer rating, completion %, TD % & INT % are all better than Cam's. He's at least a comparable player, with the bonus of being younger, cheaper and less injured.  If he'd put up the same exact stats on a team that won more games he'd have got a longterm starter's contract by now.

Based on the offense last year, I'm totally thrown by the attitude on display here. If you liked Cam and want him to come back, fine, but acting like there's no rational argument for wanting to go in another direction is very unfair. There's room for differing opinions here without dismissing one side or the other as irrational.

• Like 1