Rebuilding the OL

onejayhawk

3 hours ago, nicfre2011 said:

I think the the first article might be more introductory diplomacy on his part....not saying he wouldn't or won't re-sign but not sure we can read too much into the tea leaves at this point.

Exactly. He's not saying he will or he won't. He's saying, I'll consider it.

J

The final piece appears to be Creed Humphrey, partly on recommendation of new LT Orlando Brown, another Sooner. They did not overlap at Oklahoma, but OBJ is plugged into the system.

Humphrey is left handed, which will likely cause some issues at first. Because of this, he may have fallen as much as a full round. Physically, he has prototypical size, strength and athleticism, hence the 1st round grade.

J

Edited by onejayhawk

That was my comment after we traded for Brown.  Both of our 2nd round picks were perfect considering the free agency we had.  Don't want to be over-confident, but who's is going to really compete with us?  I know, "on any given Sunday", but the Chiefs O will be every D coordinator's nightmare come game day.  I look forward to this season filled with optimism.

1 hour ago, KCsb said:

That was my comment after we traded for Brown.  Both of our 2nd round picks were perfect considering the free agency we had.  Don't want to be over-confident, but who's is going to really compete with us?  I know, "on any given Sunday", but the Chiefs O will be every D coordinator's nightmare come game day.  I look forward to this season filled with optimism.

Im being really optimistic, but potentially thats a great OL. Still need to gel together, and that will take a few games. Once it starts happening though, Reid will be able to implement anything he wants on offense.

power blocking will be great with this ‘lineup’, im expecting a lot more holes to be opened up in the running game up front. 

3 hours ago, Chiefer said:

Brown-Thuney-Humphrey-LDT/Long/Smith-Remmers/Niang

talk about a new look OL! 

could very well be the best in the league, Mahomes and Clyde should feel pretty secure back there

Brown is making noises about a contract extension. Thuney is already signed for 3 more. Smith, Allegretti, Humphrey and Niang are all on rookie contracts. They could be together for four years, contract and medical considerations permitting. 

J

Fansided had a write up on the 3 best moves the Chiefs made in the NFL draft. #1 was drafting Nick Bolton to improve the linebacking corps, #2 was drafting Cornell Powell as Sammy Watkins replacement, and #3 was improving the entire Offensive line.

If the loss to the Buccaneers in the Super Bowl proved anything, it is that not even Patrick Mahomes can overcome a turnstile of an offensive line. The team released tackles Eric Fisher and Mitchell Schwartz and signed guards Joe Thuney and Kyle Long in free agency. Then, they acquired Orlando Brown to effectively replace Fisher.

If you thought the Chiefs were done adding to their offensive line, you were wrong.

The Chiefs selected Oklahoma center Creed Humphrey in the second round, where he could become the team's starter for the foreseeable future. The move made Mahomes a happy camper, as evidenced by his tweet on Friday evening.

Veach was not done there, as he watched Tennessee offensive guard and former five-star high school recruit Trey Smith slide down the draft. While other teams were scared off by his medicals, the Chiefs decided that taking the chance on Smith was well worth the sixth round. If Smith does remain healthy, this could very well be the steal of the 2021 NFL Draft.

The Chiefs learned quickly in one game that protecting Mahomes is of the utmost priority, and they did a hell of a job in ensuring he has a clean pocket for next season and beyond.

So, what everyone considered probably the weakest spot during the Super Bowl loss to Tampa has now turned into something a lot of pundits consider a strength. However, there are a few questions to be asked. I'll get to this a bit further down.

First: My take on how the Chiefs approached this whole thing:

#1: We're not happy with anyone. Either people are hurt, don't perform, or we don't like them for other reasons.
#2: That means: clean house. Start from scratch. A virgin white sheet of paper.
#3: We won't be happy with anything mediocre. Think big.

Step one of housecleaning: Mentally disenfranchise from what has been.
Step two of housecleaning: Get rid of those you can't rely on in 2021. Schwartz and Fisher. Take the cap savings.

Step one of rebuilding: Go for the biggest fish in the FA pond. Not just number one (Williams), but number two (Thuney) as well. They came up empty with #1 ... but well ...
Step two of rebuilding: Go for the next biggest available fish in the next pond ... trades. Up comes Brown.
Step three of rebuilding: Identify or get in an at least capable backup at any position.
Step four of rebuilding: Go get the #3 (Smith) and #4 (Humphrey) of Brooky Brooks IOL rankings in the draft. Take risk - but cover your ***.

That's where we are now.

Step one of adjusting: Sift through the pile you created.
Step two of adjusting: Identify those with value no longer needed.
Step three of adjusting: Take advantage of those teams who didn't start the process with step one of housecleaning.

Well, what could Step three of adjusting mean? I think the Chiefs could generate a bit of value out of the depth at OL they created. Other teams may not be set right now and be looking for proven players, may be as backups, but may be even to plug holes in their front lines.

Players I think about as possible trades:

LDT: How does he fit into the plan with Brown around (if the latter clears medicals)?
Wylie: Proven battlehorse with flexibility, unless you let him play LT.
Allegretti: Two more centers on the roster.

Neither of them would bring in much in return. But something is better than nothing. LDT I think may bring back a late pick (6th/7th), the limit for the other two may be a swap of late rounders, Wylie may be with a chance of a 7th on his own.

With LDT the cap issue may come in play though. After his restructure his base salary (2.75 M$) is guaranteed (which is fair value if not below) but he still has 4 M$ in prorated boni pending the Chiefs would have to take. Thus his trade/release would cause an additional 4 M$ in dead cap this year (or plit between this and next if traded/releases after 1 June).

Remmers and Niang need to stay put to cover RT, Rankin wasn't much saught after, thus I don't think he'll provide any value.

Edited by KC_Guy
  • Like 2

Nice summary. If you have a big problem, break it down and attack the pieces wherever possible. That is what they did.

The assured starters are Brown and Thuney. Niang probably comes close to assured, but he has a veteran to beat in Remmers. That leaves competition at two positions. 

Long has to prove he can still play and there is a ton of depth at RG. For now, I assume a Pro Bowl player that thinks he is back in playing shape knows what he's talking about. Backups are LDT, Allegretti, Remmers, Durant.

Center is the only real unknown. Austin Blythe is a veteran C, but not a particularly good one. Creed Humphrey is a fantastic prospect, but he is still a rookie and a leftie. Allegretti and Darryl Williams bring up the rear. 

It seems clear that we will have multiple Super Bowl starters in backup roles. One question is, how many even make it to camp? Some of our former starters may be tradable. Another is, who will back up LT?

J

Another shot at predicting the starting line.
https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2021/5/4/22417147/projecting-the-2021-chiefs-offensive-line-2-0

I don't agree on a couple of positions, mostly RT, where I think Niang will step in and own the position. Which of Kyle Long and LDT gets RG is a more difficult question, and don't count Remmers out of that that race. The questions at C are how soon will Creed Humphrey start and who his backup will be.

Regardless, the transformation is nearly complete. Now the questions relate to 2022.

J

There are a bunch of articles that say that the Chiefs are sold on Trey Smith as good to go.
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2021/05/04/kansas-city-chiefs-2021-nfl-draft-trey-smith-blood-clots-healthy/
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/05/05/chiefs-completely-comfortable-with-medical-outlook-for-trey-smith/

One thing worth noting is that the OL has gotten a lot bigger and more power oriented. Kyle Long is 330+, Orlando Brown is 350, Lucas Niang and Trey Smith are both 320+. Thuney and Creed Humphrey are only 300 or about what the Chiefs had last year.

In an unrelated side note, Eric Fisher appears to be headed for the Colts.

J

Edited by onejayhawk

This seemed like the place to put this:

Sources: Broncos RT James tears Achilles off-site

Denver Broncos right tackle Ja'Wuan James suffered a season-ending torn Achilles tendon in a workout away from the Broncos' facility, sources said.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31390134/denver-broncos-right-tackle-jawuan-james-suffers-torn-achilles-tendon-miss-2021-season-sources-say

Edited by mayanfootball