Rebuilding the OL

onejayhawk

6 hours ago, nicfre2011 said:

The tough thing is, I can see a run on tackles and well-rounded edge defenders in between our first and second picks.

The first round has always focused on immediate contributions. The second round typically gives more value, but the learning curve is the offset.

The only Edge I think is a no-brainer is Rousseau and I don't expect him to last. Oweh is a project, but I think worth #31. Ossai is one dimensional. Tryon and Olujari are primarily 4-3 OLB. A major project like Odeyingbo at #63 makes more sense. 

Likewise, the only ready top play LT after the big three is Eichenberg. I'd rather take Mayfield or Cosmi and retrain to the left side, assuming Niang isn't already doing it. We signed FA at all four spots except LT. there could be something they aren't telling the public. 

J

27 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

The only Edge I think is a no-brainer is Rousseau and I don't expect him to last.

Rousseau scares me and I could see him falling. He had a lower back injury in the 2018 offseason and then a serious ankle injury later that year and only played in two games, then played really well his next season, and that's it. He's a one year wonder. Very hard to justify taking him in the 1st when others have shown consistent production.

On 4/2/2021 at 7:33 AM, nicfre2011 said:
From Jim Nagy:
Official pro-day results for Florida OT Stone Forsythe. Good all-around workout for the big man.
HT 6080
WT 307
Hand 10
Arm 34 3/8
Wing 83 1/4
40-yd 5.14/5.15
VJ 27.5
BJ 8-7
SS 4.65
3C 7.47
BP 25 reps

meh....a bit slow on the running times to suit me. But longer arms than Eichenberg (32")which now concerns me.

6 minutes ago, mayanfootball said:

meh....a bit slow on the running times to suit me. But longer arms than Eichenberg (32")which now concerns me.

Arm length is a big deal for OT, though not so much for IOL. This and his lack of athleticism are what make me cautious. I worry that in 2024 we would be looking for LT again. 

J

2 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

The first round has always focused on immediate contributions. The second round typically gives more value, but the learning curve is the offset.

The only Edge I think is a no-brainer is Rousseau and I don't expect him to last. Oweh is a project, but I think worth #31. Ossai is one dimensional. Tryon and Olujari are primarily 4-3 OLB. A major project like Odeyingbo at #63 makes more sense. 

Likewise, the only ready top play LT after the big three is Eichenberg. I'd rather take Mayfield or Cosmi and retrain to the left side, assuming Niang isn't already doing it. We signed FA at all four spots except LT. there could be something they aren't telling the public. 

J

Odeyingbo seems to be a definite red shirt with the ACL injury while training this offseason...and ACLs don't seem to be the major career questioning injury they used to be, but I would tend to target less of a project at this point for an EDGE. Joe Tryon is an intriguing prospect who has more size at 6'5" 265 lbs (IIRC)...needs some work on holding the point as a run defender, so I don't see him being a plug-and-play, he he has some definite developmental pass rush potential long term. I will pass on Mayfield at LT.

Edited by nicfre2011

2 minutes ago, nicfre2011 said:

Odeyingbo seems to be a definite red shirt with the ACL injury while training this offseason...and ACLs don't seem to be the major career questioning injury they used to be, but I would tend to target less of a project at this point for an EDGE. Joe Tryon is an intriguing prospect who has more size at 6'5" 265 lbs (IIRC)...needs some work on holding the point as a run defender, so I don't see him being a plug-and-play, he he has some definite developmental pass rush potential long term. I will pass on Mayfield at LT.

In the first round, of course yo0u don't look at Odeyingbo. If there were not issues, we could not get him in a round later. The physical upside is outstanding

Why pass on Mayfield? He has the tools to train for the left side. Unless we draft Walker Little and his injury issues, there is not a better talent after the big three. 

J

6 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

In the first round, of course yo0u don't look at Odeyingbo. If there were not issues, we could not get him in a round later. The physical upside is outstanding

Why pass on Mayfield? He has the tools to train for the left side. Unless we draft Walker Little and his injury issues, there is not a better talent after the big three. 

J

I don't mean Odeyingbo in round 1. I guess we will have to agree to disagree on Mayfield as a top tier LT prospect, all I am saying is the lack of experience combined with less than ideal physical and athletic traits is a concern. I think Leatherwood is being undersold all things considered.

59 minutes ago, nicfre2011 said:

I don't mean Odeyingbo in round 1. I guess we will have to agree to disagree on Mayfield as a top tier LT prospect, all I am saying is the lack of experience combined with less than ideal physical and athletic traits is a concern. I think Leatherwood is being undersold all things considered.

Mayfield is not a top tier OT. There are only three of those, Sewell, Slaton, and Darrishaw, or four with Walker Little. Mayfield does belong at the top of the next tier, along with Cosmi, Jenkins, and maybe Leatherwood, Radunz, or Carman. All nine of these guys (excluding Little) have been on someone's first round mock. 

What physical traits are you knocking Mayfield for? He has the size and mobility, both forward and lateral. Experience has come from blocking Chase Young, Yetur Gross-Matos, Jayson Oweh, and Shaka Toney among others.

Leatherwood has grown on me. I was one who considered him a OG to convert. others see him as a pure power scheme blocker. How much of that is because that is the way Alabama used him. I don't like him at #31, but if we traded back, maybe. Definitely at #63. That said, those who say he would be the top OT in most drafts don't know what they are talking about. 

J

Edited by onejayhawk

12 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

Mayfield is not a top tier OT. There are only three of those, Sewell, Slaton, and Darrishaw, or four with Walker Little. Mayfield does belong at the top of the next tier, along with Cosmi, Jenkins, and maybe Leatherwood, Radunz, or Carman. All nine of these guys (excluding Little) have been on someone's first round mock. 

What physical traits are you knocking Mayfield for? He has the size and mobility, both forward and lateral. Experience has come from blocking Chase Young, Yetur Gross-Matos, Jayson Oweh, and Shaka Toney among others.

J

6052 Height

326lbs. Weight

32-5/8" Arm Length

9-3/4" Hand Size

5.39 40 Yard Dash

3.03 20 Yard Dash

1.81 10 Yard Dash

28-1/2" Vertical Jump

8'-00" Broad Jump

4.91 Short Shuttle

7.86 3 Cone

10 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

Agreed. Two more names though, Tryon looks to be lethal at times, and Ossai, kind of the opposite, but an allrounder. 

23 hours ago, nicfre2011 said:

The tough thing is, I can see a run on tackles and well-rounded edge defenders in between our first and second picks.

Makes me think we’ll try to trade back, or trade up to get a guy we want. 

or we just draft Forsythe first and piss off a lot of fans who don’t have him “ranked” that high lol