5 hours ago, BigTrav said:

It looks like pass rushers are being pushed right back

Not seeing names like Paye, Oweh, Ojulari, Rousseau etc until late in the first. I think get OL first round, pass rusher later

I would trade up for Paye. Oweh I might take at #31. Rousseau is a no-brainer, except for the medical.

1 hour ago, kingseanjohn said:

The more I read and see from Schwartz and Fisher, I wouldn't be surprised if we bring one or both back. If we don't, someone will.

Definitely, but that could be post draft. 

After doing some digging, Mayfield did not show well for his pro day, heavy and slow, and definitely cost himself a lot of money. That said, he may just be out of shape. Someone does it every year. Regardless, Leatherwood is starting to look better in comparison.  

We have signed someone for every position but LT. It's just me speculating, but think they already know who they will use.

57 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

I would trade up for Paye. Oweh I might take at #31. Rousseau is a no-brainer, except for the medical.

Definitely, but that could be post draft. 

After doing some digging, Mayfield did not show well for his pro day, heavy and slow, and definitely cost himself a lot of money. That said, he may just be out of shape. Someone does it every year. Regardless, Leatherwood is starting to look better in comparison.  

We have signed someone for every position but LT. It's just me speculating, but think they already know who they will use.

J, I like that you are coming around on Leatherwood! I was watching a breakdown of Leatherwood by a Giants fan that seemed really knowledgable about offensive line play and technique. He broke down the Georgia vs. Alabama game. He mentioned Leatherwood has good footwork that doesn't get rushed or panicked but is a controlled shuffle when handling speed on the outside arc or when countering inside....When bullrushed he has a "hop" anchor that always him to reset his anchor and leverage while staying in front of the defender....He uses his hands in a similar way as Andrew Thomas with not necessarily a punch but sort of a swipe-latch that often gets a defender off balance. He did note that what he noticed is that Leatherwood will open up his hips at times which gives the rusher an opportunity to get giving up an inside opportunity if he gets his feet wide when he turns his hips. The plus is he was often able to recover but as the reviewer mentioned recovery will be harder at the NFL level when you open too quickly. I definitely think that is correctable and it didn't seem to be a constant issue by any means. I also believe he blocked Ojalouri (sp?) in that game.

You might be onto something regarding the Chiefs and the tackle position. What confuses me is if they had a wink-wink agreement with Fisher (remember Veach's claim Fisher would be ready by August?), why would they then go all in trying to get Trent Williams and not try and sign a stop gap? Relying on the draft seems risky for such a big hole after missing out so far on the free agent tackles and having cut two starters loose.

I am trying to reconcile Veach's comments and actions. If he could have kept one of the two tackles on the roster through free agency and the draft (especially if there is a wink-wink), then you don't have the appearance of such a massive hole at tackle...and maintain some leverage.

Why would Veach say Fisher should be good in August, then cut him only to attempt to throw a brinks truck at Williams?

Are they now hoping someone like Villenuava takes a one year deal? Why hasn't there been any buzz at all about Villenuava? Did he re-sign with the Steelers??!!

I saw a list today that has Jalen Mayfield out of the draftable range, #292. He was out of shape and had a bad showing at his pro day, but let's reign it in a bit. Remember when Dallas got La'el Collins as UDFA? Don't be like that.

J

47 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

I saw a list today that has Jalen Mayfield out of the draftable range, #292. He was out of shape and had a bad showing at his pro day, but let's reign it in a bit. Remember when Dallas got La'el Collins as UDFA? Don't be like that.

J

J, possible murder charges during the draft process (legit vs. illegitimate) combined with reality of experience and athletic measurables are two different things.

Edited by nicfre2011
41 minutes ago, nicfre2011 said:

J, possible murder charges during the draft process (legit vs. illegitimate) combined with reality of experience and athletic measurables are two different things.

Fair enough. As Tyreek has shown, not all criminal issues are legitimate but ambiguity is never good. 

8 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

Fair enough. As Tyreek has shown, not all criminal issues are legitimate but ambiguity is never good. 

J, let's count our blessings and vet prospects based on what they can bring to a Super Bowl contender...Veach, get it done!!

17 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

J

Makes sense actually, we might be able to get him in the 3rd(ala Orlando Brown jr.) But I think the Chiefs prefer some discipline through this pandemic, if you’re not disciplined enough to keep yourself in shape will you be disciplined enough for a SB run? 

On 4/7/2021 at 5:08 PM, nicfre2011 said:

J, I like that you are coming around on Leatherwood! I was watching a breakdown of Leatherwood by a Giants fan that seemed really knowledgable about offensive line play and technique. He broke down the Georgia vs. Alabama game. He mentioned Leatherwood has good footwork that doesn't get rushed or panicked but is a controlled shuffle when handling speed on the outside arc or when countering inside....When bullrushed he has a "hop" anchor that always him to reset his anchor and leverage while staying in front of the defender....He uses his hands in a similar way as Andrew Thomas with not necessarily a punch but sort of a swipe-latch that often gets a defender off balance. He did note that what he noticed is that Leatherwood will open up his hips at times which gives the rusher an opportunity to get giving up an inside opportunity if he gets his feet wide when he turns his hips. The plus is he was often able to recover but as the reviewer mentioned recovery will be harder at the NFL level when you open too quickly. I definitely think that is correctable and it didn't seem to be a constant issue by any means. I also believe he blocked Ojalouri (sp?) in that game.

You might be onto something regarding the Chiefs and the tackle position. What confuses me is if they had a wink-wink agreement with Fisher (remember Veach's claim Fisher would be ready by August?), why would they then go all in trying to get Trent Williams and not try and sign a stop gap? Relying on the draft seems risky for such a big hole after missing out so far on the free agent tackles and having cut two starters loose.

I am trying to reconcile Veach's comments and actions. If he could have kept one of the two tackles on the roster through free agency and the draft (especially if there is a wink-wink), then you don't have the appearance of such a massive hole at tackle...and maintain some leverage.

Why would Veach say Fisher should be good in August, then cut him only to attempt to throw a brinks truck at Williams?

Are they now hoping someone like Villenuava takes a one year deal? Why hasn't there been any buzz at all about Villenuava? Did he re-sign with the Steelers??!!

Thing I don’t like about Leatherwood is he’s one of those “looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane” types. He checks off almost every measurable you want out of a tackle, H-W-S, arm length, etc. What good is insane arm length though if those arms get swiped so easily?(Ojulari was doing this to him quite often) For a Bama player he doesn’t bull doze guys like you’d think strength-wise. He looked bad in the Senior Bowl as well, there’s a reason people are thinking about moving him to guard.

15 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

Thing I don’t like about Leatherwood is he’s one of those “looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane” types. He checks off almost every measurable you want out of a tackle, H-W-S, arm length, etc. What good is insane arm length though if those arms get swiped so easily?(Ojulari was doing this to him quite often) For a Bama player he doesn’t bull doze guys like you’d think strength-wise. He looked bad in the Senior Bowl as well, there’s a reason people are thinking about moving him to guard.

I’d hate him in the 1st,  but other than that I would be alright.  

He’s the type that always impresses most when it’s out of season.  Insane measurables and size,  but something is still missing.   Not that he’s bad,  just never took another step while at Alabama.     It’s interesting to me he tested the draft waters last year but came back after getting his grade.   I’m not sure he improved his grade from last year either (with his play at least)

Would you give up 2 First Rd. picks for a stud OT? I would if it meant protecting Patrick Mahomes.

I've been running Mock Draft's at thedraftnetwork.  There are a few teams we can trade up with. Carolina (not my fav), NY Giants, P.Eagles, M.Vikings. Even Dallas. And all of these teams are in the NFC, so we wouldn't be enriching anyone in our Conference.

2 Firsts and a cheaper DP can get us Christian Darrisaw. Start him day 1 at Left OT. Problem solved.

Edited by mayanfootball
1 hour ago, mayanfootball said:

Would you give up 2 First Rd. picks for a stud OT? I would if it meant protecting Patrick Mahomes.

I've been running Mock Draft's at thedraftnetwork.  There are a few teams we can trade up with. Carolina (not my fav), NY Giants, P.Eagles, M.Vikings. Even Dallas. And all of these teams are in the NFC, so we wouldn't be enriching anyone in our Conference.

2 Firsts and a cheaper DP can get us Christian Darrisaw. Start him day 1 at Left OT. Problem solved.

IMO, no. It's a deep OL draft. Give me more picks, not less. We have to get cheaper long term deals and the best way to do that is through the draft.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

IMO, no. It's a deep OL draft. Give me more picks, not less. We have to get cheaper long term deals and the best way to do that is through the draft.

I agree. We have some massive contracts so it is critical to balance address needs while maintaining depth through the draft.