Rebuilding the OL

onejayhawk

On 4/10/2021 at 9:52 PM, Jakuvious said:

Mahomes took a team friendly structure, sure, but he still got the richest contract ever. Like, he was never not going to get that. When people talk about a team friendly contract, I envision something below their market value, and that's not what Mahomes took.

The richest deal ever and it's still a discount. Thats the kind of player Mahomes is.

Walker Little, OT, Stanford has been targeted by the Chiefs supposedly. Kiper and McShay both have the Chiefs picking Little in round 2. Following are Stanford Pro-Day results for Little:

40yd - 5.26, 5.28

3cone - 7.44

Short Shuttle - 4.58

Standing Broad Jump - 9'3"

Bench Press - 24

I think these are disappointing results for Little. He's had more than a year to prepare. He was hurt early 2019.

I don't think that's bad. Thomas is the first OT taken in 2020. They are very comparable. Many OL did not work out at the Combine. 

First  Last Position School Height Weight 40 Vertical Bench Long Cones Shuttle
Walker Little    OT    Stanford      6-7    313    5.30    29.5    24    111    7.44    4.59    
Andrew Thomas    OL    Georgia    6-5    315    5.22    30.5    21    109    7.58    4.66    New York Giants/ 4th pick

Pro-Football-Reference is compiling Combine numbers from pro-days.
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/draft/2021-combine.htm

J

Edited by onejayhawk

2 hours ago, mayanfootball said:

I think these are disappointing results for Little. He's had more than a year to prepare. He was hurt early 2019.

Looks good to me; especially as a late 2nd round pick. Pick 31 wouldn't surprise me either tbh. I wish he had more bench reps, but he isn't really a pure power guy.

OK, let's look at Rashawn Slater: 6'4", 304lbs, arm 33", hand 10.5", wingspan 80.12"

40yd - 4.88;   1.68 10yd. 

3cone = 7.48

bench press - 33 reps

I think he's a tad short, but he oozes athleticity. I'd trade up for Slater or Darrisaw and skip Little.

Edited by mayanfootball

12 minutes ago, mayanfootball said:

And now Sam Cosmi, OT, Texas; good character guy

40yd - 4.84   10yd - 1.68

bench - 36

This much is good stuff. I'm sold. Hell definitely improve with weight gain in his lower half.

Cosmi would be a really good pick for us all things considered. Mentioned this before but I think he would really benefit from playing next to Thuney.

After the big three, the ranking seems to be Teven Jenkins first, then Radunz, Mayfield and Eichenberg in some order. Eichenberg's sole claim to the tier appears to be that he can potentially start immediately at LT. The others are much better long term. Cosmi is a slight step down, then Carman and Leatherwood. The joker is Little, who could be up with Jenkins, last of the list, or any place between.

I would not hesitate to take any of these eight at #63, but the question seems to be about #31. Jenkins and maybe Little are the only one's I would consider worth that pick. I suggest that the more likely approach is to spend a later pick on a more developmental prospect, such as the above, plus Forsythe, Hudson, Jaylon Moore, etc.

J

48 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

After the big three, the ranking seems to be Teven Jenkins first, then Radunz, Mayfield and Eichenberg in some order. Eichenberg's sole claim to the tier appears to be that he can potentially start immediately at LT. The others are much better long term. Cosmi is a slight step down, then Carman and Leatherwood. The joker is Little, who could be up with Jenkins, last of the list, or any place between

With all due respect, Cosmi is NOT a step down from the other four. Cosmi has lighter, quick feet for our zone blocking system. Jenkins, Carman, Leatherwood are defintely power, man-gap blockers. None of these guys are faster in the 40yd than Cosmi. And Cosmi can bench 36 times, so he's plenty strong in the upper body. Where he lacks, is lower body strength. That will be alleviated with time and the weight room.

And as Nicfre2011 stated, Thuney will have a calming influence playing next to Cosmi.

Edited by mayanfootball

There is no doubt that Cosmi is a physical specimen and I would love to have Cosmi to train up. However, that does not put him at Teven Jenkins' level in this draft. Given the ZBS, I can see pushing him in front of Carman and Leatherwood. Regardless, Cosmi is not someone who can step in and take over the LT spot. Maybe in a year.

J

4 minutes ago, mayanfootball said:

In the meantime, play him. He'll gain valuable experience while his gaining weight.

It’s not the worst option.  Still think we bring in a vet.  

Basically what we did with Fisher early on,   Him and Cosmi aren’t all that different, that was just an awful draft.   I would be “ok” with Cosmi in the 1st.    Any one else after Sewell, Slater, Darrisaw I wouldn’t be all that thrilled with.   

6 hours ago, mayanfootball said:

In the meantime, play him. He'll gain valuable experience while he's gaining weight.

Not no, HELL NO!!!

This is exactly what we want to avoid. If this is an option, why bother with a draft pick? Niang is already available and just as higher regarded. 

6 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

Not no, HELL NO!!!

This is exactly what we want to avoid. If this is an option, why bother with a draft pick? Niang is already available and just as higher regarded. 

J, not sure why you are against Cosmi. He fits a need and has the athletic profile to be a starting LT. We are in the draft phase were just about all prospects get dogged for what they "can't do"....look at the buzz that was around Sewell. I am ok with Cosmi at #31. I think Niang could be a very solid RT for us, and the fact that is where he had college experience at TCU could make the transition much easier. LT to RT and RT to LT is not an automatic translation. I still think we need a developmental center prospect.

8 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

Not no, HELL NO!!!

Because it puts us in better position in the future.   Something this FO has avoided.  
It’s not my favorite option but I wouldn’t hate Cosmi at 31.

Eichenberg/Little/Radunz and that grouping I would hate that early