Rebuilding the OL

onejayhawk

1 hour ago, mayanfootball said:

Love the measurements. He's also dang athletic. Yes, he's a better run blocker than pass. But his size makes him difficult to get around. And his run blocking is crushing.

His composite explosion grade beats Cosmi. Vertical jump 34.5"? !! Almost 10' broad jump? !!

He can be coached up in the pass sets, IMO

Yeah, Leatherwood is solid...and has good length. You coming around on Leatherwood? 😉

IMO, he might not be there at #31.

On 4/18/2021 at 1:02 PM, Jakuvious said:

There's too many bodies if you're thinking Long, a first round pick, Niang, and Remmers all would play OT, in addition to potentially bringing one of the guys back. If you're expecting the first round pick to fight for RT, you also basically have a 4 deep depth chart at RT, at that point with no one going into the season at LT.

If we add a vet or take a guy in the first round, they will be the plan at LT. Only way it works, unless the team is unreasonably high on Niang, at this point.

Based on the contract, Long just looks like G depth. And upgrade over Wylie behind Thuney and LDT. Can maybe compete with LDT if he's in prime form. Even if they wanted him at OT, though, he's only played RT, Niang was a RT in college, and Remmers was dramatically better at RT than LT, so you just have a logjam there.

Listening to Kyle Long's press conference he said he's comfortable anywhere on the line but center. Seems like he'd rather play the right side.

If he's in great shape and healed up from the end of his stint in Chicago, I can see him starting at RT. Who knows tho. Depth is a good problem to have.

LT does worry me obviously, why I brought up Fisher. I'm not even high on Fisher and I personally think the accolades and reputation he had wasn't exactly warranted. But that is a glaring hole if Niang isn't the guy. That means swapping sides of the line and having immense pressure on him, seems really risky.

I wonder if there are other options out there. I know the cap is super tight, but maybe a trade is available to fill that spot.

Gun to my head, they draft Cosmi if he's available (should be) and do this by committee and try to find the guy to fill that LT role.

Edited by Habbsawce

The first semi-official indication I have seen that the team is considering Niang at LT came after questions concerning Eric Fisher. Reid said that he was open to Fisher returning, but also mentioned Niang as an option. 

We’re fitting that through, but we had aspirations of potentially moving Niang over to that spot. It looked like he had some potential for that when we had him last.
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/04/20/andy-reid-it-looked-like-lucas-niang-had-some-potential-to-play-left-tackle/

NFL rules have precluded the team from most contact with Niang since last summer.

J

16 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

Not really. Leatherwood is a workout warrior, so you expect elite numbers in a straight line. You will note that the cone and shuttle numbers are missing. Those are Forsythe's strengths.

I’m really liking Stone the more I watch his tape. He gets his hands on you and you’re done, plus he’s got great feet and could handle it if Mahomes starts running out the back of the pocket. His run blocking is sub par to say the least though. 

Learherwood looks like a guard, I want to like him, but the more I watch the less impressed I am.

Edited by Chiefer