Rebuilding the OL

onejayhawk

43 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

I’m really liking Stone the more I watch his tape. He gets his hands on you and you’re done, plus he’s got great feet and could handle it if Mahomes starts running out the back of the pocket. His run blocking is sub par to say the least though. 

Learherwood looks like a guard, I want to like him, but the more I watch the less impressed I am.

You ok with Forsythe at #31? I don't see him being there for us at the bottom of round 2. Either we bite the bullet and make a "shocking" pick at #31 or strike a trade-down to the top to middle of round 2 and select him. Of course, we also could stay at #31, then trade up into the top of the second round for Forsythe.

You are not the first to say it. Much as I like Radunz, the same may be true of him. 

Reid said more about Niang

We forget about a couple of them—[Lucas] Niang was another one that we had high hopes for last year and had a couple of nice days with us before he opted out," Reid said. "I think we’re OK there now, but I’ve said this before, Brett’s always keeping his eyes open. We’ll just see how it all ends up, but we’ve got some good competition in there.
https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/i_think_were_ok_there_andy_reid_breaks_down_offensive_line_situation/s1_16631_34686518

There are only three OT under contract, though you could easily add Remmers, who did a credible job at RT. However, Kyle Long may be the most likely RT. We will see how things develop.

J

The remaining question is, who plays C? 

While they signed Austin Blythe, he is not even as good as Austin Reiter. Both Allegretti and Darryl Williams have played C, but neither was in the mix last season, when Kilgore was the backup. That said, they may reconsider now that Allegretti has some experience. The job may be his to lose. 

Thuney has played C, but I doubt that is a real possibility. They will want him to help Brown settle into the new position and new scheme. Drafting a C is possible, but I doubt they would let a rookie start. Maybe Humphrey, who could slip to the #58 pick. CH is left handed, but I think they can adjust. 

Regardless, with no to 50 pick, the draft looks very different. 

J

I don’t think Blythe is much of a downgrade from Reiter.   MUCH better run blocker,  downgrade in pass blocking.  Though one was blocking for Mahomes and one was blocking for Goff.    Mahomes will improve his pass blocking 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, samsel23 said:

I don’t think Blythe is much of a downgrade from Reiter.   MUCH better run blocker,  downgrade in pass blocking.  Though one was blocking for Mahomes and one was blocking for Goff.    Mahomes will improve his pass blocking 

Any downgrade is a serious matter. Regardless, I think the team sees Blythe as a backup. 

The question is, who do they like at the top of the depth chart? 

9 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

Any downgrade is a serious matter. Regardless, I think the team sees Blythe as a backup. 

The question is, who do they like at the top of the depth chart? 

True,  I don’t necessarily like slating Blythe in at C.  But I like him at his cap hit, more than what we’ve had Reiter for in years past.  Better guard play and Mahomes at QB should help Blythe grade out much better than years past.   

Right now I’d say it’s Blythe pretty easily with Allegretti getting a few reps.   Hard telling though,  with how the rest of the off-season has went we may package all the remaining picks for their top C 😂

To put the roster breakdown in prospective;

LT Orlando Brown Jr -    1 Year Deal
LG Joe Thuney - 5 Year Deal
C Austin Blythe - 1 Year Deal
RG Laurent Duvernay-Tardiff - 1 Year Deal
RT Mike Remmers - 1 Year Deal

OL Kyle Long - 1 Year Deal
OL Lucas Niang - 4 Year Deal
OL Andrew Wylie - 1 Year Deal
OL Nick Allegretti - 2 Year Deal
OL Martinas Rankin - 1 Year Deal
OL Bryan Witzmann - 1 Year Deal
OL Yasir Durant - 3 Year control if on active roster, or slides to PS
OL Darryl Williams - 3 Year if on active roster, or slides to PS
OL Prince Tega - 3 Year control if on roster,   or slides to PS

That is a TON of 1 year deals.   Which isn't the worst thing if you are finding replacements,  but 7 of the top 10 are 1 Year deals.    It's pretty typical to keep 9 OL,  which of the Top 9 are you comfortable losing if we do draft OL.  In such a great OL class, it would a shame to not grab a couple.. I'm just not sure who you release from the 53 to make this happen.

3 hours ago, kempus said:

I think we still target O line, either in the 2nd or 3rd.

No 3rd anymore. 

I'm not going to quote Samsel, but it's clear the team has plans for developing players behind all the one year deals. I would also expect at least one draft pick. Look at a possible line for 2022

Niang/Thuney/Allegretti/Durant/PTW.

This assumes a lot, but no individual position is a stretch. Throw in a swing OT, or maybe Prince is the swing and draft an OT. 

J

4 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

No 3rd anymore. 

I'm not going to quote Samsel, but it's clear the team has plans for developing players behind all the one year deals. I would also expect at least one draft pick. Look at a possible line for 2022

Niang/Thuney/Allegretti/Durant/PTW.

This assumes a lot, but no individual position is a stretch. Throw in a swing OT, or maybe Prince is the swing and draft an OT. 

J

You're right on the pick, unless we trade down. Yeah, certainly speculation there, but that line would be atrocious.