Rebuilding the OL

onejayhawk

12 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

There are a bunch of articles that say that the Chiefs are sold on Trey Smith as good to go.
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2021/05/04/kansas-city-chiefs-2021-nfl-draft-trey-smith-blood-clots-healthy/
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/05/05/chiefs-completely-comfortable-with-medical-outlook-for-trey-smith/

One thing worth noting is that the OL has gotten a lot bigger and more power oriented. Kyle Long is 330+, Orlando Brown is 350, Lucas Niang and Trey Smith are both 320+. Thuney and Creed Humphrey are only 300 or about what the Chiefs had last year.

In an unrelated side note, Eric Fisher appears to be headed for the Colts.

J

I was noticing this as well, and I love it! This seems to be the type of line I grew up watching...and old school line. This seems like the type of line that Darrell Williams could go off behind, and Clyde too, of course!

3 minutes ago, heafstaag said:

I was noticing this as well, and I love it! This seems to be the type of line I grew up watching...and old school line. This seems like the type of line that Darrell Williams could go off behind, and Clyde too, of course!

While no bigger than Reiter, Humprey is a much bigger load. For the last couple of years our short yardage/GL running game has been weak. I don't think we will get shut out from inside the five yard line very often now. 

J

1 minute ago, onejayhawk said:

While no bigger than Reiter, Humprey is a much bigger load. For the last couple of years our short yardage/GL running game has been weak. I don't think we will get shut out from inside the five yard line very often now. 

J

I daydream of the o-line and RB's bullying opposing defenses for a bit, and then Mahomes just picking em apart at will. Haha, I LOVE the potential this line gives- assuming the potential translates to the field!

1 hour ago, onejayhawk said:

Wylie deserves some loyalty. He has been a faithful soldier for years. All this is is an invite to camp. He will have to earn a job on his own. Of the fifteen OL in camp, he's one of the one's on the bubble. 

J

Wylie is the last traumatic holdover from the SB. I guess if it's just a camp invite whatever, but I would personally be pissed if he cracks the final roster.

Wylie and Rankin have an uphill slog to even make the first round of cuts. Durant, Williams, PTW, LDT, even Blythe are going to be fighting for one, maybe two slots. 

Brett Veach did an interview for NBC. He spends time on how they rebuilt the OL.

The thing i like with these new additions is their seems to be an emphasis on power blocking and gap principles. Brown-Thuney-Humphrey-Smith all come from gap blocking systems. Switching to a more physically dominating upfront approach should be a good balance to our shotgun-spread offense 

On top of that they're all very good at pulling and getting down field. Some good athleticism there, and they take people out in the second level. CEH should thrive like he did at LSU

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

This was the story of the offseason for the whole NFL. We are finally starting to see some resluts. HC Reid has some comments.

Yeah it’s been good for that, but the main thing you want are good football players and we’ve got a whole group of them now, and it’s great competition. Those guys last year battled their tail off and I’m glad we have a few of those guys back. Then Brett (Veach) and his crew did a nice job with the influx of players, young and veteran guys, so we’ve got a nice nucleus. There’s going to be great competition there and that’s going to make us better. Like I mentioned before, most of the emphasis had gone to other positions and we were able to kind of put this as a priority to get things done there, and I thought Brett and his group did a phenomenal job of working it.
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2021/05/28/kansas-city-chiefs-andy-reid-offensive-line-progress-otas-orlando-brown-kyle-long-mike-remmers/

One note of interest in all this is Orlando Brown Jr. The negotiations between the teams assumed a one year contract. Because it is the last year of his contract, and because OBJr has been vocal about wanting the respect that a big contract represents, that was a reasonable stance. However, since arriving, Brown has been much more conciliatory, indicating that he would consider re-signing and expressing satisfaction with his new situation.
https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/orlando_brown_jr_its_been_going_great_since_trade_to_chiefs/s1_13132_35017604

J

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Kirill said:

lol #7. We're top 3 at worst. If we had to start our backups we're not even in terrible shape.

Not yet, but maybe when the playoffs get here. 

We will likely be starting two rookies--Humphrey and Niang. While both have Pro-Bowl upside, it has not seen the field yet. Long was Pro-Bowl lever three years ago, but that is also not a given now. I think the summary in the article is perfect, one of the best combinations of high-upside starters and depth in the NFL.

J

On 6/8/2021 at 2:38 PM, Kirill said:

lol #7. We're top 3 at worst. If we had to start our backups we're not even in terrible shape.

He's an article that sort of agrees with you. 
https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/the_best_case_scenario_for_the_chiefs_offensive_line_could_be_magnificent/s1_16631_35118287

The best case scenario has the 2022 (they say 2021) OL looks like this Orlando Brown/Joe Thuney/Creed Humphrey/Trey Smith/Lucas Niang. The team signs Brown to an extension and the three rookies form the core of the future. It's at least plausible, because the three rookies each have Pro-Bowl upside. 

J

• Like 1