Rebuilding the OL

onejayhawk

4 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

5 hours ago, mayanfootball said:

Not sure where else to put this: How does B.Breeland make this grouping and not L.Sneed. Breeland was less than impressive in the S.Bowl.

Sneed missed half the season. The whole team was off in the SB. 

You can't dismiss Breeland's playing  so easily. If the "whole team" was off, Breeland's play was absolutely atrocious.  I'd love to have him replaced via draft pick or other.

6 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

I agree, whole-heartedly. The optimism around Niang has gone way above what he's actually shown (which is, nothing.) You go in assuming he can start, and you're absolutely screwed if he is overwhelmed or not ready. You need some plan beyond Niang if you plan on 2021 being another compete for the superbowl kind of season. If Niang is ready, awesome, then we just have a good play in place if someone gets hurt. But I don't think you can go into 2021 with an OT line up of, say, Niang at LT, Remmers at RT, and Durant as the backup. If both unproven guys fail, you've got nothing at LT, and that'll sink us at some point.

Exactly he looked great...two years ago. I mean I’m very optimistic but i doubt even the Chiefs FO is putting all the eggs in the Niang basket. Even Mahomes can’t make up for ****e OL play.

The going rate of injury recoveries in the draft isn’t great, almost seems 50-50 if a guy is gonna make it past both the injury jump and NFL jump. The franchise is all in on Mahomes and we can’t have him retiring early like Luck. 

3 hours ago, mayanfootball said:

You can't dismiss Breeland's playing  so easily. If the "whole team" was off, Breeland's play was absolutely atrocious.  I'd love to have him replaced via draft pick or other.

I would be perfectly fine with Breeland if he'd stop committing penalties. Purely for coverage metrics, Breeland is one of the best RCBs in the league. He isn't exactly a playmaking CB, he tends to go for the tackle/PD instead of the INT, in most cases. But he was one of only 3 CBs in the entire NFL last year with a 50% or lower completion percentage. And he's the only one to do it 2 years in a row.

The problem is, while he allows fewer completion than most, he offsets it with penalties. 12 last year, 13 in 2019. So that's basically 12 and 13 more receptions allowed for first downs, effectively. If he shut that down and still cover as well, he'd have a legit claim to being the best #2 CB in the league. He's good in man, a great tackler, smart and high effort. He just can't stop holding to do it. It's been the issue his whole career, though. Had 13, I think, in his last year in Washington. So probably not something that will change anytime soon.

And the superbowl matched this. He only allowed 3 catches. He unfortunately just also committed 3 penalties.

It's like how Brandon Carr could never find the football. Dude covered phenomenally, would've been a perfect #2, but he couldn't get his head around his entire tenure here. One little issue made him a dramatically worse CB.

• Like 1

I agree Breeland is what he is,   I’m good with not paying him.   Him and Ward could both be called for holding a majority of the snaps,  on one hand it’s frustrating,  but on the other it has led us to having a very respectable CB room the past few years.   

A lot of it depends on the officiating crew,  they both find the fine line between holding and not... just depends on the crew in the game.   They just happened to have bad luck in that the Super Bowl crew seemed to be a stickler on this,  I believe they had the most defensive holding calls all year by a decent margin.   Though I’m still pretty ticked about at least one of the holding calls in the Super Bowl against him. 

Getting back to OL, here is an article on Niang. I am not sure I completely agree with the headline, because money is what money is, but he did some research on the FO attitude about releasing Fisher and Schwartz. The year out has not been wasted, see video. It's one of a series.
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2021/03/12/kansas-city-chiefs-eric-fisher-mitchell-schwartz-released-lucas-niang-outlook/

Just because he wasn’t with the team, doesn’t mean he didn’t spend his rookie year perfecting his craft. Throughout the 2020 NFL season, Niang linked up with BX Movement’s Brett Yarris in his hometown of New Canaan, Connecticut. There, Niang has been training in anticipation of his return to action.

There is more, eg the time he went head to head with Chase Young, which Young considers a memorable game. I also like this tidbit, which shows I was wrong about which side, unless it's smoke.

Niang should be the favorite to lock down the right tackle position in place of Mitchell Schwartz. Our friends over at Touchdown Wire also agree with that assessment. Really, it’s Niang’s training with BX Movement that tipped us off, as his taped work has predominately been on the right side. There’s also his ability to speak fluent french that will give him instant chemistry with another returning player, right guard Laurent Duvernay-Tardif.

Edited by onejayhawk

The Indy Colts are a pretty good team to learn from on how to build an Oline fast. They're an NFL playoff team who barely lost to the Bills 27-24 in 2020.

They've got 6 OG's, the oldest is Glowinski(28) and Eldrenkamp(27).

They've got 8 OT's, with 2 having 12yrs. experience and 6OT's having a total of 1.3 yrs. AVG. experience.

The Colts have their OLine set for the next Decade.

The Chiefs in contrast are a team with an elderly OLine. They list 3 Centers (R, and with 2 having 15yrs. exp.). They list 7OG's with 45yrs. exp.. One of these (Wylie) has played OT in an "emergency".

Our OT's have been decimated with both starting OT's released (with 17yrs. exp.). So KC is left with 4 currently rostered OT's and 1 of those (Durant) is really an OG. So of the 3 remaining OT's, they've got a Rookie (Niang), 3yr.(Rankin) and 8yrs.(Remmers) experience.

The focus of the upcoming NFL draft should be focused squarely on the OT position. Fortunately, this draft is loaded at OT.

Edited by mayanfootball

26 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

So, Chiefs Twitter right now is going nuts about possible Trent Williams rumors. That would fix....a lot. Add him, get either Osemele back or Long. Get an OL of Williams/Osemele/draft pick/LDT/Niang, and I'm sold.

Honestly I’m good with just rolling with Allegretti at Center if those are our Guards.   It may have some growing pains, but damn CEH would have some running lanes.  

Bring back Remmers,  keep Durant.   And bring in a couple development guys mid round.   We definitely need to bring in a couple OL no matter what. 

So, I would generally think this is an insane proposition, but....Veach. We still have like $28M available right now. And we haven't extended Mathieu yet, which most see as a very intuitive move.

What if we still got Williams, too? Williams/Thuney/Allegretti/LDT/Niang would be insane. Could still go for a draft pick at C or OT, either to add competition or to supplant Allegretti/Niang now, if they FO isn't sold on either, or be an eventual heir at LT.

On 3/15/2021 at 3:42 PM, Chiefs_5627 said:

LT ? 

LG Thuney 

C Allegretti

RG LDT 

RT Niang (Hopefully) 

🤷

This is how I have it penciled in.  Everyone wants to move guys around from their natural positions, I think we should have learned our lesson from that in the Super Bowl. 

Thuney is a LG period, not a LT, not a C. 

Allegretti spent all of his HS and College career at center.  He was a top 10 center recruit and started all four years at Illinois at center. 

LDT is obviously RG and no we won't cut him, he can't be replaced for that and we need some kind of continuity.  Plus its nice to have a doctor on the field in these times. 

And I have zero doubts that Niang will be our starting RT.  He is a prototype RT and will be almost two years removed from his injury, with a year and half training and getting ready for his first start in the NFL. 

• Like 1

On 3/15/2021 at 3:42 PM, Chiefs_5627 said:

LT ? 
LG Thuney 
C Allegretti
RG LDT 
RT Niang (Hopefully) 

🤷

I think that's how most people would view the situation, given that the team is not pursuing Reiter. What I wonder is how the team can flex the situation to advantage. If they re-sign Remmers, which they are pursuing, then there are two options at RT. 

Niang is an option at LT. The question is, how reasonable an option? The draft is an option for LT. Again, the question is, how reasonable an option? Looking at available FA, now that Trent Williams is off the market, is FA signing a reasonable option?

Thuney gives them an anchor for the left side and he excels at pass pro. Whatever the team does will be built around him, much like the secondary is built around the Landlord and the DL is built around the Shark. 

J

• Like 1