Rebuilding the OL

onejayhawk

Maybe I’m underselling Long,  but I see this as the Remmers signing from last year.   Solid depth at either Guard spot and RT.     It says up to 5 Mil,  so I’m guessing there’s some playing time incentives built into it.    

Honestly still wouldn’t mind being Remmers back, along with a vet LT.  Would leave OL super flexible in the draft and not leave us reaching 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, samsel23 said:

Maybe I’m underselling Long,  but I see this as the Remmers signing from last year.   Solid depth at either Guard spot and RT.     It says up to 5 Mil,  so I’m guessing there’s some playing time incentives built into it.    

Honestly still wouldn’t mind being Remmers back, along with a vet LT.  Would leave OL super flexible in the draft and not leave us reaching 

Agreed. Remmers can backup either OG or RT. We need someone to pencil in at LT in case we don't get someone in the draft.

Kyle Long is honestly just going to be really hard to predict until we start seeing depth charts coming out. He was terrible in 2019, but he played 4 injury riddled games, and that was it. He was pretty good in 2017 and 2018, but had injury issues holding him back then, too. From 2013 to 2016, he was an absolutely fantastic player. Just a small step down from Thuney. So it's one of those where he could be anything from terrible to pro-bowl caliber, depending on how much good the year off did him health-wise. If he's as he was before, he's better than LDT ever was. If he was as he was at the end, he's worse than LDT ever was. So it really could go either way, there.

I do think it's worth noting, while so many of our currently rostered lineman have mostly played G in the NFL so far (Thuney, Long, LDT, Rankin, Allegretti, and Wylie have all played started more games at G than anywhere else), virtually all of them have spent significant time in college or the NFL elsewhere. Thuney has played C and T. Long had a pro-bowl caliber season at RT. Rankin has played LT, and projected to RT by many coming out of the draft. Allegretti was obviously drafted as a C. Wylie played OT in college. There's a lot of flexibility there, and a lot of time to sort out who should be where. But it is possible amongst those 6, we have someone for LT, C, or RT. Not just Niang.

I do understand @warsawian's concerns, moving guys around, after how it went in the superbowl. But there is a HUGE difference between moving 6 months before the start of the season, giving them minicamps and training camp and weeks and months of practices to settle back in at a position they have played before, and telling a guy to adapt to a position they haven't practiced for all year a week and a half before a huge game against one of the best pass rushes in the NFL.

I have no idea, at this point, who will play where. But I do know we didn't add Thuney and Long, tender Wylie, and retain LDT, just for 6 guys to be on the G depth chart all with starting experience. Hell, I'm pretty sure we still have Witzmann hanging around too.

12 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

I have no idea, at this point, who will play where. But I do know we didn't add Thuney and Long, tender Wylie, and retain LDT, just for 6 guys to be on the G depth chart all with starting experience. Hell, I'm pretty sure we still have Witzmann hanging around too.

Witzmann, Allegretti, Durant.   Rankin is also probably more of a Guard than anything. 

Honestly I’m not even sure the FO has the total plan for how it shakes out.  Just adding the best versatile lineman and seeing what comes of it I suppose.   Thuney, LDT, most likely Long are the only ones with any sort of guarantees deal wise.   An excess of versatile lineman isn’t a bad thing,  OL is always coveted around the roster countdown deadline.    

• Like 1

Who says we aren't signing players to have a six deep depth chart? Open auditions is one tested way to fill a roster spot. Knowing it will be crowded will push some players to better prepare. 

And throw Reiter's name back in. The Chiefs made him an offer. 
https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/report_chiefs_have_made_offer_to_center_austin_reiter/s1_14819_34387913

J

Edited by onejayhawk

I think the plan is to sign a vet, like Alejandro Villanueva, and draft a project guy who can hopefully take over in 2-3 years, such as Jackson Carman. If we can't sign a vet, I think we'll to trade up to 20ish to try and get Alijah Vera-Tucker or another top guy that falls.

20 hours ago, warsawian said:

This is how I have it penciled in.  Everyone wants to move guys around from their natural positions, I think we should have learned our lesson from that in the Super Bowl. 

Thuney is a LG period, not a LT, not a C. 

Allegretti spent all of his HS and College career at center.  He was a top 10 center recruit and started all four years at Illinois at center. 

LDT is obviously RG and no we won't cut him, he can't be replaced for that and we need some kind of continuity.  Plus its nice to have a doctor on the field in these times. 

And I have zero doubts that Niang will be our starting RT.  He is a prototype RT and will be almost two years removed from his injury, with a year and half training and getting ready for his first start in the NFL. 

Allegretti

He stayed on offense the next season, starting once at center and the other 11 contests at guard. Allegretti was voted honorable mention All-Big Ten and was a team captain in 2017, starting all 12 games, again splitting time between center (four) and guard (eight). He was an honorable mention all-conference pick in 2018, as well, starting 12 games at guard.

Thuney isn't a LG period. I'd wait and see. The Wylie resigning makes me think Thuney, Wylie, Allegretti, LDT, Niang.

But the the Long signing has me thinking Niang, Thuney, Allegretti, LDT, Long (he played RT in 2015)

In a perfect world, everyone plays in the natural positions but.... huge BUT - we've seen KC move everyone around a lot. They are going to start Long.

If Long is recovered and back to form, we could even see DRAFT Thuney Allegretti Long Niang because he's better than LDT.

I will agree that Thuney is not only a LG. It's a hallmark of the Patriots that they develop players for multiple roles. He's one of the possible names at C. That said, I think they want him at LG because the next LT will have a learning curve. Veterans provide leadership, but also knowledge.

Long is a different issue. He has had long enough to recover what can be recovered. How much that is remains to be seen. 

J

Edited by onejayhawk

11 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

I think the plan is to sign a vet, like Alejandro Villanueva, and draft a project guy who can hopefully take over in 2-3 years, such as Jackson Carman. If we can't sign a vet, I think we'll to trade up to 20ish to try and get Alijah Vera-Tucker or another top guy that falls.

Villanueva would be nice. Isn’t Vera Tucker more of a guard?