Rebuilding the OL

onejayhawk

18 hours ago, samsel23 said:

Orlando Brown is an option too.  I hope not, but he’s another 

From the sounds of it, we  offered Trent Williams a contract just shy of one he got from the 9ers so I wouldn't be shocked for Veach to try and go big.

Edited by Chiefs_5627

10 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

I'd say he pretty much is. To stay on the roster he has a 4.75mil cap hit. If cut, his cap hit becomes 7.35mil.

I see this more as the team isn’t all that high on Rankin, Durant, And Allegretti developing into much.  

35 minutes ago, samsel23 said:

I see this more as the team isn’t all that high on Rankin, Durant, And Allegretti developing into much.  

Maybe. I thought Allegretti did well considering it had only been one year. I thought he needed 2-3 years. Durant is too soon to say.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, samsel23 said:

That or they know they still need some work. We also played them out of position because everyone was hurt.

4 minutes ago, odendin said:

That or they know they still need some work. We also played them out of position because everyone was hurt.

Maybe.  Though if they need work,  with what they’re doing it will be on the PS.

LT: xxx /xxx
LG: Thuney / Alegretti/Remmers
OC: xxx / Thuney/Allegretti
RG: LDT/Long/Remmers 
RT: Remmers/Niang/Long

Unless you’re high on Rankins at LT,  we’re pretty much filling in where Rankin/Durant would fill in. 

Add in we’re still chasing offering starting C and LT’s contracts.   That Leaves maybe 1 spot(if we really keep 10).   Still think it’d be stupid not to come up with 2 OL in such a strong OL class.  
Project T,  Project G/C.    That’d leave it very hard to keep any of Rankin/Durant/Allegretti on the 53.  

2 hours ago, samsel23 said:

Add in we’re still chasing offering starting C and LT’s contracts.   That Leaves maybe 1 spot(if we really keep 10).   Still think it’d be stupid not to come up with 2 OL in such a strong OL class.  
Project T,  Project G/C.    That’d leave it very hard to keep any of Rankin/Durant/Allegretti on the 53.  

I'm starting to wonder if we draft 0-1 OL. We're spending so much money in FA on vets, that it almost seems like we're setting ourselves up to pick other positions. We have some projects on the roster already. Maybe we go OT if someone falls in the 1st/2nd.

Kyle Long was a very good player, but not for the last five years. So, he gets a prove-it contract. FWIW he's only a year older than Kelce. 

25 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

I'm starting to wonder if we draft 0-1 OL. We're spending so much money in FA on vets, that it almost seems like we're setting ourselves up to pick other positions. We have some projects on the roster already. Maybe we go OT if someone falls in the 1st/2nd.

I think you're right about the first three picks. Day three is a different story. 

J

4 hours ago, samsel23 said:

Well.  It’s not as much of a guarantee he’ll make the roster.  At least contract wise.   Still think he does,  but he isn’t guaranteed he does. 

WHAT?? This was originally said to be an "up to" 5 M$ deal  ...

15 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

Maybe. I thought Allegretti did well considering it had only been one year. I thought he needed 2-3 years. Durant is too soon to say.

Yeah I think Durant might be the future at RG once Dr Moose is gone. Allegretti as a utility backup interior lineman.

At this point, I think my hope would be Villanueva and Reiter. Villanueva is in the Fisher mold of being much better in pass pro than as a run blocker, which suits us fine anywa. Really not a big fan of Reiter, but he'd be a safer bet than just Allegretti, and it's hard to predict how much being flanked by Thuney and LDT would help compared to Allegretti and Wylie. We've also obviously been very successful with Reiter before, whether that's because or in spite of. But, I'd still have hopes for high performance if we had something like:

LT: Villanueva, Rankin
LG: Thuney, Wylie
C Reiter, Allegretti
RG: LDT, Long
RT: Niang, Remmers

If we don't add at either C and/or LT, I feel like we're locking ourselves in to needing one high in the draft. And while I'd like to draft some OL regardless, it's a bit scarier when you're relying on them to start. Doesn't leave a good backup plan if development is slow or they underwhelm.

The final numbers on Long's contract are clearly backup money. But, he could be a viable backup at LG, RG, and RT, so he fits that Remmers/Erving/Wylie mold of backup versatility that Reid loves so much.

18 hours ago, KC_Guy said:

WHAT?? This was originally said to be an "up to" 5 M$ deal  ...

Add up the pieces and it totals $1.5 Million. The rest has to be incentives.

7 hours ago, Chiefer said:

Yeah I think Durant might be the future at RG once Dr Moose is gone. Allegretti as a utility backup interior lineman.

It could be, especially if Allegretti moves to C. 

4 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

At this point, I think my hope would be Villanueva and Reiter. Villanueva is in the Fisher mold of being much better in pass pro than as a run blocker, which suits us fine anywa. Really not a big fan of Reiter, but he'd be a safer bet than just Allegretti, and it's hard to predict how much being flanked by Thuney and LDT would help compared to Allegretti and Wylie. We've also obviously been very successful with Reiter before, whether that's because or in spite of. But, I'd still have hopes for high performance if we had something like:

LT: Villanueva, Rankin
LG: Thuney, Wylie
C Reiter, Allegretti
RG: LDT, Long
RT: Niang, Remmers

If we don't add at either C and/or LT, I feel like we're locking ourselves in to needing one high in the draft. And while I'd like to draft some OL regardless, it's a bit scarier when you're relying on them to start. Doesn't leave a good backup plan if development is slow or they underwhelm.

The final numbers on Long's contract are clearly backup money. But, he could be a viable backup at LG, RG, and RT, so he fits that Remmers/Erving/Wylie mold of backup versatility that Reid loves so much.

Even though we took him in the GM Mock, I am not a big fan of Villanueva. I would rather put Niang at LT and draft a RT. We know Niang is healthy and working with a trainer. 

Long is on a prove-it contract. If he actually plays regularly, he gets a lot more next season, even at 33. 

I wonder if Wylie or Rankin make the final 53.

J